ACI Toys: 1/6 ARAGORN (Improved Production Copy updated!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally acquired an ACI from HK, which was listed as minor defect. The picture showed a few tiny flakes on the faux leather, as below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w39e52a7m0l3b28/Photo%2001.jpg?dl=0

No problem I thought. Cost me a pretty penny regardless.
It turned up and the leather 'jacket' is falling apart to the touch. You can see the pleather split when you move the arms...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c4oxwei14omjfox/Photo%2002.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iytst10ntfy3sxb/Photo%2003.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck7t4sqocy75arp/Photo%2004.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/uw0fyxvua59daii/Photo%2005.jpg?dl=0

I missed the Paypal refund window by one day due to covid delays... To say I'm disappointed is an understatement.

So. What's my best option to turn a negative into a positive? What are you guys using to repaint your 'duster' jackets? Are there any good replacement options? (the asmus one doesn't look great).

Murph, your best bet is to find a loose replacement duster from Asmus or even the venerable Sideshow Aragorn. If everything else with the figure is in good shape, you should be good to go.

I would take very thin pieces of lamb leather 0,3mm and glue them over those holes and paint them to match the coat
Aragorn has a few patches on his coat
Now he has a few more

Murph, your best bet is to find a loose replacement duster from Asmus or even the venerable Sideshow Aragorn. If everything else with the figure is in good shape, you should be good to go.

Thanks! What's the quality of the Asmus duster like? In photos it often looks thin and 'filmy,' like it looks more plastic than faux leather. It's never easy to say as photos can be misleading. The ACI one is definitely a bit more detailed from what I can see, so I'm inclined to try salvaging it first, and then seeking out a replacement if my plans don't pan out. This option is always available, which is comforting.

I would take very thin pieces of lamb leather 0,3mm and glue them over those holes and paint them to match the coat
Aragorn has a few patches on his coat
Now he has a few more

Thanks! If I'm honest, I'm thinking about doing this, but then painting and sealing the whole duster to protect it from further flaking. Maybe Angelus leather paints and finishers. This would allow me to do some colour matching, advanced weathering whilst potentially getting a more screen accurate colour job at the same time. My only concern being it might continue to flake beneath the paint...

Thanks! What's the quality of the Asmus duster like? In photos it often looks thin and 'filmy,' like it looks more plastic than faux leather. It's never easy to say as photos can be misleading. The ACI one is definitely a bit more detailed from what I can see, so I'm inclined to try salvaging it first, and then seeking out a replacement if my plans don't pan out. This option is always available, which is comforting.

Thanks! If I'm honest, I'm thinking about doing this, but then painting and sealing the whole duster to protect it from further flaking. Maybe Angelus leather paints and finishers. This would allow me to do some colour matching, advanced weathering whilst potentially getting a more screen accurate colour job at the same time. My only concern being it might continue to flake beneath the paint...
Idk if you have solved your issue with the coat, but I saw someone selling a few of them on ebay for $60 so you might consider checking that out. Now on a side note happy new year everyone I can finally say I own this figure as I recently purchased a full exclusive ACI Aragorn complete and briefly displayed. I'm excited to get him in hand as I feel the huge regret when I passed it up back when it was up for preorder. Thankfully I won't also need to mess with the hair as I'll be getting a custom sculpt to replace it so the original one will stay in tact.

Just to let you know, because of your comment, I did just that - Sideshow Duster is actually great on my newly acquired ACI Aragorn!
The duster it came with, all but fell apart ...all the faux leather or whatever material it is all falls apart to the touch- (low humidity?)

This one looks really good , dare I say better?

My apologies, as I missed this post. The Asmus duster is on the thin side but I do like how it is shaped. A little more closer to the body.

As far as the Sideshow duster goes, so far, so good with mine. I don't know how many years it has been since its release and it still is in great shape.

Just to let you know, because of your comment, I did just that - Sideshow Duster is actually great on my newly acquired ACI Aragorn!
The duster it came with, all but fell apart ...all the faux leather or whatever material it is all falls apart to the touch- (low humidity?)

This one looks really good , dare I say better?

Awesome! So glad that I could help. :duff

Sorry for the bump - lack of search feature on here is painful.
Are there any products any of you who have this figure have used to prevent flaking on the duster & straps belts?
I saw 303 Aerospace , 303 3 in 1 leather and TriNova Leatherette, Vinyl and Faux Leather Cleaner & Conditioner some people use for other figures
Any recommendations from personal experience with this figure? Thanks

Anybody have one of these for sale by chance?

Thanks

I bought one last week (Special ed) for 300. I should receive it tomorrow

EDIT: It arrived

WhatsApp Image 2021-04-14 at 14.40.49.jpeg

That price while good if true was just luck and timing - i'd expect to pay minimum 500- 600
One on feebay now is 1100 or so

That price while good if true was just luck and timing - i'd expect to pay minimum 500- 600
One on feebay now is 1100 or so

"if true" ....brah, why I would lie ._.'

Ps. There's another one for the same price again here btw

Back