A plea for a new, "older" line

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EVILFACE said:
Buck Rogers yes.

Those others might sell 4 or 5 figures max.

Buck Rogers has a pretty decent cult following. I guess I look at cross over appeal within a line as well. The guest stars alone have lots of possiblities. Caesar Romero, Jane Seymour and Frank Gorshin should interest Batman fans and kitbashers.
Jack Palance and Buster Crabbe are just too cool to not be included. Markie Post, Dorothy Stratton, Brianne Leary, Judy Landers and Jamie Lee Curtis, well 'nuff said. The Space Vampire? Great easy alien. Henry Silva, Richard Lynch, William Smith and Sid Haig? The stuff tough guy dreams are made of. Peter Graves, Mark Lenard and Dennis Haysbert all have characters possible outside the genre.
And Erin Gray and Pamela Hensley aren't hard to cope with either.
Bottom line, between the regular cast and the many guest stars it would give the opportunity for Sideshow to use all of their body variants in one line and deliver a fun, playful license.
As for the Saturday morning fluff? I bet they would sell a lot better than you think if they were given half a promotional chance.
:monkey3

Protozaius said:
What no mention of Space Academy, Ark II or Jason of Star Command? What are you guys.. a bunch of elitist Sci-Fi snobs!

Thems er classsics!:monkey5

Sorry... I have no pictures. That would make me clearly insane.:D

Speaking of guest stars... perhaps SS can do a long running Love Boat line! Now THAT show had some guest stars! They had both Judy Landers AND Audrey Landers... and Barbi Benton ta boot!

I smell some green here Sideshow!!!

So to Buck Rogers I say... Bring it ON!!! It was good enough to help bankrupt Mego it's good enough for Sideshow!!!

Gee... I almost forgot THE BLACK HOLE!!! Now there's a franchise to sink some green into, Sideshow!

By the way, those pictures of Far Out Space Nuts really scared me. Please... make them go away.:monkey2

PZ, Thanks, but I don't think that Mego going under was a result of Buck Rogers figures.
I didn't include FOSN because that was an intentional comedy. While the rest might be comedic when we look back on them, I bet a lot more watched and enjoyed them then would let on now. And YES, the Black Hole does deserve better figures than what we got at the end of the Mego franchise.
All the newer licenses are fine, but does that mean I can't want a line from the olden days. Majestic is doing alright with Battlestar Galactica, Dark Shadows and the Abominable Phibes. Sci Fi Metropolis is doing well with Lost in Space. Is Buck Rogers really out of the realm of possibility? And who better to deliver it justly than Sideshow?

Ironman1188 said:
PZ, Thanks, but I don't think that Mego going under was a result of Buck Rogers figures.

Well, it didn't help. :D

Nor did "Black Hole".:eek:

Or "Moonraker".:eek:

Or "Star Trek The Motion Picture".:eek:

I hate the fact that I'm old enough to remember those pegwarmers! Mego had a bad run of luck. Boy, if only they landed Star Wars they would probably still be with us today.

There are PLENTY of figures I would to see Sideshow do that I know doesn't make any business sense for them to do. Like I would love figures from the film Logan's Run (NOT the TV Show) and Island of Dr. Moreau. But since they are both on DVD for less than $5 and NOT selling I understand that I'm in the cozy miniority who would pay $50 each for figures from them.

You don't know how many times I've wished for some company to make a Swan (Paul Wiliams) from Phantom of the Paradise!

And lets not forget POTA... I would buy EVERY figure not matter how obscure (Yes, I'm talking Dr. Galen, Honorius, Dr. Kira and Prefect Barlow). But I understand that my rabid fandom of the Apes is what makes me a unique individual. I don't expect anyone to share in my APE enthusiasm, but, it's great to find people on this thread who DO share in that enthusiasm. But at NO time do I think that we are mighty in number to warrant Sideshow to go out on our limb and make my dreams come true. Somethings should and will remain dreams. Dreams for some customizer to help realize, maybe.:rolleyes:

So BEGGING for Sideshow to make them, just makes me look... well, odd.

Ironman1188 said:
Electra Woman & Dyna Girl
elecwom.jpg
I would absolutely kill for 1/6 Electra Woman and Dyna Girl figures from Sideshow.

Protozaius said:
Well, it didn't help. :D

Nor did "Black Hole".:eek:

Or "Moonraker".:eek:

Or "Star Trek The Motion Picture".:eek:

I hate the fact that I'm old enough to remember those pegwarmers! Mego had a bad run of luck. Boy, if only they landed Star Wars they would probably still be with us today.

There are PLENTY of figures I would to see Sideshow do that I know doesn't make any business sense for them to do. Like I would love figures from the film Logan's Run (NOT the TV Show) and Island of Dr. Moreau. But since they are both on DVD for less than $5 and NOT selling I understand that I'm in the cozy miniority who would pay $50 each for figures from them.

You don't know how many times I've wished for some company to make a Swan (Paul Wiliams) from Phantom of the Paradise!

And lets not forget POTA... I would buy EVERY figure not matter how obscure (Yes, I'm talking Dr. Galen, Honorius, Dr. Kira and Prefect Barlow). But I understand that my rabid fandom of the Apes is what makes me a unique individual. I don't expect anyone to share in my APE enthusiasm, but, it's great to find people on this thread who DO share in that enthusiasm. But at NO time do I think that we are mighty in number to warrant Sideshow to go out on our limb and make my dreams come true. Somethings should and will remain dreams. Dreams for some customizer to help realize, maybe.:rolleyes:

So BEGGING for Sideshow to make them, just makes me look... well, odd.

What didn't help was the rushed, shoddy job they Mego did on those 12" lines. It wasn't that they couldn't land Star Wars, but that they passed on it. They had first shot at it and said NO.
Well, there was a 1:6 Phantom of the Paradise figure made a few years ago. A DVD that does, I admit, sit in my collection as well.
I do share in your ape enthusiasm and am still working on making those missing figures a reality.
My point, however, is that Buck Rogers was a successful show until they tried to Star Trek it. That not withstanding, the show has a lot of variety to offer. And in the wake of other fave lines seemingly falling to the wayside [POTA, TZ, OL, UM...] and other companies, as mentioned above, doing well with older 60's-70's sci fi, that Sideshow would not be out of line to capitalize on that very same resurgence. Hell, they are already close to having Buck's uniform done already from the St. Hubbins Spinal Tap figure.

Ironman1188 said:
What didn't help was the rushed, shoddy job they Mego did on those 12" lines. It wasn't that they couldn't land Star Wars, but that they passed on it. They had first shot at it and said NO.
Well, there was a 1:6 Phantom of the Paradise figure made a few years ago. A DVD that does, I admit, sit in my collection as well.
I do share in your ape enthusiasm and am still working on making those missing figures a reality.

And I have BOTH of the Phantom of the Paradise figures that Medicom made a few years back. It cost me nearly $250 for the pair.:horror

It has been a popular rumor that Mego had openly passed on Star Wars for years. However, a new version of the story has come to light in an article appearing in Tomart's Action Figure Digest. The new story goes that the head of Mego (I forgot the name) was out of town when the Lucasfilm arrived at their offices. They weren't given a "no" per se... just a come back later when the boss is back kind of answer. The head of Mego NOW states that he wouldn't be able to say "yes" fast enough... that Mego Star Wars figures would have been a done deal... HAD he been in town. Instead by the time he came back, Lucasfilm signed with the company with the popular "Six Million Dollar Man" line.

Of which story is actually true, it's hard to say. The newer version might just be a 20/20 hindsight, "save face" type of story. Anyway, it is fascinating story regardless.

And I take issue with your statement about the quality of the 12" Mego figures. To compare them with what is happening now in the 1/6 scale is unfair. For the time, they were very well done... far above the standard 12" fare at the time. It blew Kenner's Star Wars 12"ers away soundedly. Heck, I bought all of them... yes ALL of the Buck Rogers, Black Hole, Star Trek and Moonraker figures (except for Jaws, of course). I remember the Klingon from ST being particularly stunning.

Protozaius said:
And I take issue with your statement about the quality of the 12" Mego figures. To compare them with what is happening now in the 1/6 scale is unfair. For the time, they were very well done... far above the standard 12" fare at the time. It blew Kenner's Star Wars 12"ers away soundedly. Heck, I bought all of them... yes ALL of the Buck Rogers, Black Hole, Star Trek and Moonraker figures (except for Jaws, of course). I remember the Klingon from ST being particularly stunning.

Any figure could blow away Kenner's offering back then. And I'm not comparing to today's figures. However, that pitiful peg at the knee was responsible for most of the Mego figure problems and could have easily been remedied, but wasn't. Don't take issue with me, take issue with the big company that wouldn't fix a plastic rivet. And I have almost ALL of them as well. Just missing Kate from the Black Hole and Moonraker's Holly and Jaws.
That still not withstanding, Sideshow should try and attain the Buck Rogers license.

Well, I wouldn't hold my breath, Ironman. :monkey4

Just looking over Sideshow's portfolio... Buck Rogers just doesn't look to be their cup of tea. At least not the modern version of Sideshow.

Is there a forum that Majestic fans can post their "pleas"? The company that is making Battlestar fiugres might be more open to another Glen A. Larson gold mine.:rolleyes:

Hold my breath?
Nah.
I gave my last breath trying to keep the POTA line alive.
Now, I'll leave that bit of frustration for the fans still waiting on Giles, Ygor and Maleva.
It would just be nice to see a license more of the roots of Sideshow, ie: an older show/movie, than the inundation of just the modern or extremely popular. Being a sci-fi buff, the Buck Rogers line fits that bill for me. And it would be a welcome change from all the LOTR stuff. I know its way more popular, but its in almost every format Sideshow does. Isn't there room for something for the rest of us?

Now, just to show possibilities, I am no big company, but I was able to throw this together in about 20 minutes:
mycustom-BuckRogers02.jpg

And look!!!! He brought the Space Academy uniforms too!!
mycustom-BuckRogers01.jpg

Back