A Journey to a Spider-Man TbLeague M32 Body Swap Step by step (Work in Progress)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard work you did there. My only feedback is that I think you could have chosen a less buff body. The wide lats doesn't really suit Spiderman as his physique is on the leaner side. Also, I think it would be better to have used a brighter blue thread to close the suit again so that it doesn't pop out too much like the black thread.

I will say this, now knowing why it was done, the end result is not bad. I thought this was being done to just attempt a better looking figure, but now I see that it was done to achieve a working figure. Here's my nitpicks and explanations for them.
1)Perhaps using a true type body would have been better? I agree with Bleah that it looks a little too buff. Unless of course you specifically wanted to go seamless body because the maneuverability exceeds the TT body. I think the M32 is leading to the bunching of the suit and collapsing around the ankles..
2)The collapsing around the ankles. I know why they're there. It's inherent to using TBLeague bodies with removable feet. This criticism is not of you, but what you had to work with.
As I said, now knowing the purpose of this task, you took a bold chance and it paid off. I was kind of in the same head space initially of, "WHY?!" but I was curious to see how it would go, especially when people start chopping and modifying pieces. I think you did a good job and achieved what you set out to do. I hope you take what I and Bleah said as positive constructive criticism (see also: OPINION) and not as a negative like someone else.

Hard work you did there. My only feedback is that I think you could have chosen a less buff body. The wide lats doesn't really suit Spiderman as his physique is on the leaner side. Also, I think it would be better to have used a brighter blue thread to close the suit again so that it doesn't pop out too much like the black thread.

Thanks Glad you stuck around to see the end result. Body swaps are a give and take thing. IMHO the pro out way the cons. Better articulation is the most important attribute for doing stop-motion animation.

I will say this, now knowing why it was done, the end result is not bad. I thought this was being done to just attempt a better looking figure, but now I see that it was done to achieve a working figure. Here's my nitpicks and explanations for them.
1)Perhaps using a true type body would have been better? I agree with Bleah that it looks a little too buff. Unless of course you specifically wanted to go seamless body because the maneuverability exceeds the TT body. I think the M32 is leading to the bunching of the suit and collapsing around the ankles..
2)The collapsing around the ankles. I know why they're there. It's inherent to using TBLeague bodies with removable feet. This criticism is not of you, but what you had to work with.
As I said, now knowing the purpose of this task, you took a bold chance and it paid off. I was kind of in the same head space initially of, "WHY?!" but I was curious to see how it would go, especially when people start chopping and modifying pieces. I think you did a good job and achieved what you set out to do. I hope you take what I and Bleah said as positive constructive criticism (see also: OPINION) and not as a negative like someone else.

Thanks. It was fun to do. More will come. TT body do not have the articulation that I need. The legs/hips also tend to not have enough stiffness to hold the legs out because of the padding in the suit. They rise and fall. They also do not have near the range of motion that the seamless have. I can't do animation if the body keeps losing the pose I set. Also even the body they use in these padded suit have a problem with being able to raise the arms over the heads. These problems do not happen with the TbLeague bodies. With that said , I have used the TT for regular non super hero characters where their articulation is more than enough for my purposes. They just do not work for a Spider-Man type character.

Here are some more body swaps using different bodies. I will also give my pinon on the pros and cons for each with a conclusion of the best IMHO. You can choose for yourself.

From L to R, TOA Heavy Industries Synthetic Human, Phicen M32, Jaou, & another Jaou.
IMG_20210422_075439068 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

From L to R, TOA Heavy Industries Synthetic Human, Phicen M32, Jaou, & another Jaou.
IMG_20210422_075456392 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

Closer look at the TOA Heavy Industries Synthetic Human, Phicen M32.
IMG_20210422_075510585 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

This is the Jaou seamless. It have great tight joints but as you can see the neck range is not as good as the Phicen but is very close.
IMG_20210422_075547397 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

This last one is also a Jaou slim body. The Neck is raise as high as I can get is and you can see that it is lacking compared to the Synthetic Human and Phicen M32.
IMG_20210422_075611659 by A.F.M. Productions, on Flickr

Conclusion: The Synthetic Human body, by far has the best articulation which is a pro. The con, it looks more robotic and less human. Pro it is a great replace for the Medicom RAH Spider-Man. FYI the Medicom RAH Spider-Man body is made of very weak and brittle plastic and is infamous for breaking at the shoulder and hips even though it has the superior articulation. But this is useless when it keeps breaking. Alos the hands will fir the The Synthetic Human body from the Medicom Rah body. You might have to drill them out slightly.

Conclusion: Phicen M32 is the next best body.Pro is looks more human, but the articulation is not has good as the The Synthetic Human body.

Conclusion: Jaou body Ps4 Spider-Man articulation is close the Phicen M32 body. with the neck not being as good as the M32.

Conclusion: Jaou slim body articulation is close the Phicen M32 body. with the neck being even less that the previous Jaou or the M32.

Well I hope this was and maybe helpful for those looking to try this. Until a better body is made and improvements done, I will probably stick with the Phicen M32 for future Spider-Man body swaps. IMHO is looks the best and the articulation is close to what I'm look for. Thanks again for sticking with this journey. More is to come.

Are you basing your critique on the movie interpretation, personal view of the character, specific artist? I'm curious. I noticed that wamphyri13 said the same thing.

My opinion is based on a Spider-Man amalgam as opposed to one specific Spider-Man. I always think of the younger teenage Spidey from older comics, various cartoons, etc. I know that his physique has varied over the years and the many iterations of his appearances. The M32 body just seemed a little too, peak physical condition. Out of the suit, people would notice Peter's improved physique, but that's neither here nor there for what AFM was doing. He picked the best figure for articulation. Now if TBLeague could add a body closer to the, we'll call it, "less overdeveloped musculature" TT type body, it would be a bang on home run. But the M32 fit his needs and serves it purpose for what he needed, posability. He did the best with what he could get and it worked.

Are you basing your critique on the movie interpretation, personal view of the character, specific artist? I'm curious. I noticed that wamphyri13 said the same thing.

All my interpretations, because I'm an old man from the comic book era, is base solely on my own opinion and person likes. My goal has always been, to do what I think the characters should look like. And from that, I can use movie heads, if they work, and different bodies as I see fit. I do tend to lean toward the comic book look as much as I can as that is my favorite look. Example and case in point, lets use Thor. Love the Chris Hemsworth head sculpt, but think the body should be M35. IMHO this makes a perfect Comic Book based Thor.

My opinion is based on a Spider-Man amalgam as opposed to one specific Spider-Man. I always think of the younger teenage Spidey from older comics, various cartoons, etc. I know that his physique has varied over the years and the many iterations of his appearances. The M32 body just seemed a little too, peak physical condition. Out of the suit, people would notice Peter's improved physique, but that's neither here nor there for what AFM was doing. He picked the best figure for articulation. Now if TBLeague could add a body closer to the, we'll call it, "less overdeveloped musculature" TT type body, it would be a bang on home run. But the M32 fit his needs and serves it purpose for what he needed, posability. He did the best with what he could get and it worked.

Thanks, yes, all true my friend. I would love to one day design and have made my own seamless body. But until then, I do use what is on hand. If improvements are made in body design, I will probably switch them all to that one.

I see, so it's the way you personally see what Spiderman's physique should be. I personally lean the other way, I probably would have gone with the bigger M33, Lol. I always go with the comic book look over realism.

I see, so it's the way you personally see what Spiderman's physique should be. I personally lean the other way, I probably would have gone with the bigger M33, Lol. I always go with the comic book look over realism.

Very cool, and even that is a matter of preference. I really liked when Mark Bagley was drawing Spider-Man, & let me forget Todd McFarlane. Both of those were very muscular / athletic builds. I would love to see when you two make your custom Spider-Man. I'll keep an eye out.

Very cool, and even that is a matter of preference. I really liked when Mark Bagley was drawing Spider-Man, & let me forget Todd McFarlane. Both of those were very muscular / athletic builds. I would love to see when you two make your custom Spider-Man. I'll keep an eye out.

Im going to wait for the classic Spiderman to come out, so it will be a while. But, thank you for showing us that a body swap is possible.

Im going to wait for the classic Spiderman to come out, so it will be a while. But, thank you for showing us that a body swap is possible.

You are very welcome buddy. Thanks for taking the journey with me and the great conversation. Happy it could help you all out.

Also for those who have never seen our stop-motion animation work, here's a link to our channel. Stop on by and enjoy our feature length movie "Heroes Faith I".
It took six years to make and is 2 1/12 long. Lord willing, we will be making more movies in the near future.

AFM
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-qPiyne7BpFbfo2c8vd_2A

Not should be, but was/has been. Like I said in full, an amalgam of sources and memory of a younger, boy like Spider-Man. And again, all opinion. I'm neither right nor wrong. It's all opinion. I've seen plenty of sources that lean your way with the V shape as well. It can be either/or. There's no one answer.
AFM - My comments should in no way detract from your work. You did a great job. You did something I would be unwilling and unable to do to achieve your goal. I hope you don't perceive any of it as negative. It was all just a talking point. Nobody makes a figure yet with a head/neck combo close to what a real body can do. Imagine if/when that happens.

Not should be, but was/has been. Like I said in full, an amalgam of sources and memory of a younger, boy like Spider-Man. And again, all opinion. I'm neither right nor wrong. It's all opinion. I've seen plenty of sources that lean your way with the V shape as well. It can be either/or. There's no one answer.
AFM - My comments should in no way detract from your work. You did a great job. You did something I would be unwilling and unable to do to achieve your goal. I hope you don't perceive any of it as negative. It was all just a talking point. Nobody makes a figure yet with a head/neck combo close to what a real body can do. Imagine if/when that happens.

No problem buddy, I did enjoy our talk. It's nice when this happens. Thank you my friend.

Gotta say, I have great respect for anyone who is bold enough to cut up pieces so expensive as these Hot Toys figures. Thank you for the detailed step by step pictures. Don't know if I will ever try it, but it's great to have some reference.

btw I have a medicom RAH black Spidey and Venom from Spider-Man 3. Both suffer from the broken plastic in the shoulders. What would be your suggestion for alternate bodies?

Gotta say, I have great respect for anyone who is bold enough to cut up pieces so expensive as these Hot Toys figures. Thank you for the detailed step by step pictures. Don't know if I will ever try it, but it's great to have some reference.

btw I have a medicom RAH black Spidey and Venom from Spider-Man 3. Both suffer from the broken plastic in the shoulders. What would be your suggestion for alternate bodies?

Thanks so much for the kind words my friend. It's very much appreciated. For the Medicom RAH Black spidey and Spider-man 3 body swap, I recommend the Obitsu Manufacturing male real body real natural 27BD-M02R. The Medicom hands a feet pegs work perfectly. ANdthere is a very easy Mod for the neck to be abe to put the spidey head right one. It does have great articulation and you will never have to worry about breaking it. Here a Link.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353362874469?hash=item5246119065:g:GagAAOSw5PRgCwzb

For the Venom, there I can't help you. That Medicom body is big/buffed enough, that I do not have a replacement suggestion that would work as easily as the above mention suggestion. I would just replace the Venom with another/better version if you want a Venom in your collection.

Thanks again. I hope this was also helpful buddy. Feel free to ask any other questions.

Back