1/6 UJINDOU UD9020 British SAS North Africa (1942-1943)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
UJINDOU 1/6 WWII BRITISH SAS, North African Campaign 1942-43
PRODUCT ITEM NO.: UD9020

COSTUME:

1. 1X Sand Aertex Tropical Desert Shirt
2. 1X British Army 1940 Pattern Trousers
3. 1X WWII British Army Commando Sweater
4. 1X WWII British Army Khaki Button Fly Shorts
5. 1X British 1940 Pattern Dismounted Greatcoat
6. 1X WW2 British Army Commando Cap
7. 1X Sand-coloured beret (including team badge)
8. 1X WWII British Bren Assault Vest
9. 1X 1937 Webbing Belt
10. 1X Pistol Ammo Pouch
11. 1X Webley Mk IV .38 Service Pistol Holster
12. 1X WWII Lifebelt
13. 1X Pistol Lanyard
14. 1X Thompson SMG sling Cancelled by Ujindou after pre-order
15. 1X British Machete Scabbard
16. 1 Pair Socks
17. 1 Pair 37-Pattern Cloth Anklets
18. 1 Pair WWII Ammo Boots

NEW HEAD SCULPTURE
BODY W/ RELAXED HANDS

PALMS:

1. 1 Pair Gun Holding Hands

ACCESSORIES:
1. British machete

WEAPONS:
1. M1928 Thompson SMG with 50-round drum magazine Cancelled by Ujindou after pre-order
2. Silenced Sten Mk II SMG with Suppressor
3. Webley Mk IV .38 Revolver

Ujindou UD9020 SAS 1.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 2.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 3.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 4.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 5.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 6.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 7.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 8.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 9.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 10.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 11.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 12.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 13.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 14.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 15.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 16.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 17.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 18.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 19.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 20.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 21.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 22.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 23.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 24.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 25.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 26.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 27.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 28.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 29.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 30.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 31.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 32.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 33.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 34.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 35.jpg
Ujindou UD9020 SAS 36.jpg

Last edited:
This is a strange one. Interesting, but strange.

Specifically advertised as SAS in North Africa, but no Fairbairn Sykes dagger this time.

There's a machete, maybe to cut their way through the palm trees to get to the oasis, and a life belt so they don't drown when they get there. :unsure:

It feels like a collection of parts gathered from previous sets. Useful parts nevertheless to create either an SAS or Commando figure.

Very strange indeed. Doesn't exactly scream "i'm in the desert" with his life preserver does he?

Also, I know Americans generally discarded their assault vests a few days in from the landings. Not sure about the British wouldn't doubt they did the same.

It is a cool assortment of pieces though. 2nd pair of boots, body, and belt you could easily have yourself 2 figures.

Very strange indeed. Doesn't exactly scream "i'm in the desert" with his life preserver does he?

Also, I know Americans generally discarded their assault vests a few days in from the landings. Not sure about the British wouldn't doubt they did the same.

It is a cool assortment of pieces though. 2nd pair of boots, body, and belt you could easily have yourself 2 figures.

I'm going to get two sets because there's so many options.

The only distinguishing feature is the sand coloured beret, which they wore between 1942 and 1944. (They were forced to adopt the maroon airborne version until 1956). So the figures can either make SAS or Commandos, using the Thompson for the former and assault vest for the latter.

The Bren Bra also replaces the need for a belt and missing shirts can be disguised by using scarves, so it's really down to needing extra boots.

This colourised photo of men from the Long Range Desert Group is a good illustration of ad hoc appearance. Even their parachute wings are in different places:

LRDG.jpg

I copied the list of parts twice and worked out what could be made from them.

This is my plan:

Figure 1: Commando, Italy

British Army Commando Cap
Sand Aertex Tropical Desert Shirt
British Army Commando Sweater
British Bren Assault Vest
British Army 1940 Pattern Trousers
37-Pattern Cloth Anklets
Boots
Silenced Sten Mk II SMG with Suppressor

Figure 2: SAS, North Africa

Sand-coloured beret
Sand Aertex Tropical Desert Shirt
British Army Khaki Button Fly Shorts
1937 Webbing Belt
Pistol Ammo Pouch
Webley Mk IV .38 Service Pistol Holster
Webley Mk IV .38 Revolver
Pistol Lanyard
Socks
Boots
M1928 Thompson SMG with 50-round drum magazine
Thompson SMG sling

Figure 3: SAS, North Africa

British Army Commando Cap
British Army Commando Sweater
British Army 1940 Pattern Trousers
British 1940 Pattern Greatcoat
1937 Webbing Belt
Pistol Ammo Pouch
Webley Mk IV .38 Service Pistol Holster
Webley Mk IV .38 Revolver
Pistol Lanyard
37-Pattern Cloth Anklets
M1928 Thompson SMG with 50-round drum magazine
Thompson SMG sling

Just requires boots.

Spare Parts:

Sand-coloured beret
British Army Khaki Button Fly Shorts
British 1940 Pattern Greatcoat
British Bren Assault Vest
Socks
Life Belt x 2
Machete x 2
Machete Scabbard x 2
Silenced Sten Mk II SMG with Suppressor

Infusing value in the set above all else, even over theme. It's a methodology I've always supported. As long as the price point doesn't spin out of control for it.

I don't know if anyone remembers this, but there was a time when Dragon Models was the very cutting edge on WW2 in 1/6th. And they just had this nickel and dime approach to everything. For a long time, they only had one set where a figure had a mussette bag. They kept making BAR gunners, even though more people starting out were squad building and needed more M1 Garands, etc, etc.

In my garage I still probably have quite a few DML Greg Desert Storm M82s. Without the muzzle brakes on them. Because it was a separate piece and you could only get it if you ordered from Cyber Hobby, which was an exclusive. It was one of the most egregious forms of nickeling and diming I've seen from a brand.

The headsculpt here looks like actor Benjamin Walker, but I could be wrong though. Cool looking set, lots of options in it.

Well, there go some of the plans for the figures to be made from this set:

Just received messages from Kit:

We just being informed by UJINDOU that they are cancelling the "M1928 Thompson with 50-round drum magazine" in content

Unit price for UJINDOU UD9020 1/6 Scale WWII BRITISH SAS , North African Campaign 1942-43 is reduced by $20 so the balance payment for this figure should be $140

The decision as announced by ZIP on the BBICN forum:

Based on the opinions of the majority of players, the manufacturer decided to make the following adjustments to the UD9020 1/6 World War II - Royal Special Air Service North Africa Campaign 1942-1943 parts list:

1. Cancel Thompson 1928 Machine gun M1928 Thompson with 50-round drum magazine
2. The uniform sales price is adjusted from 980 RMB to 799 RMB

The "majority" of customers? I didn't read any such comments until this announcement. :unsure:

Eat Egg Tarts on Screw Mountain said:
Opinions of the majority of players...at least I haven't seen a single one in the forum

They could've cancelled the machete as well while they were at it. lol

I wish Ujindou had listened when they were told that the Chindit's Jungle Carbine never saw a jungle until after the war.

The SAS figures arrived from Kit this morning. They came with a $10 scratch card which was a nice bonus. Haven't had one of those since Mars Toys' '89 Joker.

Figure looks pretty good. First thing I did was test the beret, because someone on BBICN couldn't get it to work and left it popped up.

It does work, and works well. You just need to tuck the right hand side of the leather hem up inside when putting it on, and then it'll drape naturally over his ear.

The clothes are Ujindou's usual quality with functioning buttons.

The suppressed Sten is a variation of their earlier model, and feels just as fragile.

While they announced they were going to remove the Thompson, they included the 'US' Thompson drum magazine pouch. It serves no purpose for this set so I gave it to Blair Mayne, since he's armed with a drum-magazined Thompson.

Looking forward to your pics. I've had bad luck with the scratch cards as they have all been for $1.

As for leaving out the Thompson, I think it was more of a production issue than listening to the gripes of some people on a forum. The fact that they still included the drum pouch only adds to that reason. By the way, did the packaging by chance have an empty slot for the Thompson and drum magazine? Doesn't really make a difference as they still could have developed it later in production.

Looking forward to your pics. I've had bad luck with the scratch cards as they have all been for $1.

As for leaving out the Thompson, I think it was more of a production issue than listening to the gripes of some people on a forum. The fact that they still included the drum pouch only adds to that reason.

I used parts left over from the previous commandos, UD9013 and UD9018, to make four figures from the two sets.

100_4417.JPG

100_4418.JPG

By the way, did the packaging by chance have an empty slot for the Thompson and drum magazine? Doesn't really make a difference as they still could have developed it later in production.

There wasn't a spare slot for the Thompson.

Thompsons would've been better for the SAS as they favoured them over the Sten. At the moment I've put those two figures in with the SAS:

100_4423.JPG
100_4427.JPG

And kept the other shelf as more distinctly Commando:

100_4426.JPG

What an incredible collection, Asta.

My only recommendation is to somehow print out the labels for the stands instead of handwriting in pen. The displays will look just a little more polished.

What an incredible collection, Asta.

Thanks. :)

My only recommendation is to somehow print out the labels for the stands instead of handwriting in pen. The displays will look just a little more polished.

Having had so little use for a printer I disconnected it when the ink dried up. The last time I used it was years ago to make labels for the 1/6 Romans and gladiators.

I started writing the cards to remind me what everyone was supposed to represent, but my handwriting's been bad since university.

I hid all the cards on the back of the nameplates earlier. It looked neater, but at the same time I couldn't help feeling that something was missing. :panic:

I'll just hide them whenever I take photos. :monkey3

Thanks. :)

Having had so little use for a printer I disconnected it when the ink dried up. The last time I used it was years ago to make labels for the 1/6 Romans and gladiators.

I started writing the cards to remind me what everyone was supposed to represent, but my handwriting's been bad since university.

I hid all the cards on the back of the nameplates earlier. It looked neater, but at the same time I couldn't help feeling that something was missing. :panic:

I'll just hide them whenever I take photos. :monkey3
No need to hide the cards. They definitely provide important info on the figures. I was just suggesting an alternative to handwritten labels.

Back