1/6 SSC Hoth Luke Skywalker (Echo Base) Modification Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder why SSC and Hasbro decided to cut one toe from their 12" scale Tauntauns' feet? Seems so odd that even the 1980 vintage figure has four toes, yet the big versions lopped it back to three toes. The Dewback's legs/feet are not really visible in the movie (so I guess open to interpretation,) but the Tauntaun's feet are. :dunno

So... why do threads (such as the just-closed Han Hoth thread) keep getting closed because 2 or 3 members lock horns? It just seems like that punishes everyone for the behavior of a few. Isn't there an infraction type system that should be used in those circumstances rather than shutting down all discussion of a great SSC figure that's just been released in the past week or two?

So... why do threads keep getting closed because 2 or 3 members lock horns? It just seems like that punishes everyone for the behavior of a few. Isn't there an infraction type system that should be used in those circumstances rather than shutting down all discussion of a great SSC figure that's just been released in the past week or two?

I haven't been online since posting my last message in the Han thread, and locking horns or not, I didn't write anything to disparage or otherwise say anything that would warrant an infraction - I also hadn't read anything from anyone else that would fit that bill, including in a couple of messages that are no longer there. Newer messages have also been deleted so I have no idea what happened afterwards.

Anyone adding a fourth toe to this guy? Not sure if it's worthwhile as the feet looks different enough from some reference photos that a fourth toe wouldn't make up difference. I'd probably replace the straps and hide the neck seam, but leave it at that.

Anyone adding a fourth toe to this guy? Not sure if it's worthwhile as the feet looks different enough from some reference photos that a fourth toe wouldn't make up difference. I'd probably replace the straps and hide the neck seam, but leave it at that.

Yeah, the SSC feet are totally different to the feet on the movie Taun, so adding a toe would help, but they would still be as inaccurate as the 1998 12" Hasbro feet. The new Black Series Taun has the right number of toes.

So... why do threads (such as the just-closed Han Hoth thread) keep getting closed because 2 or 3 members lock horns? It just seems like that punishes everyone for the behavior of a few. Isn't there an infraction type system that should be used in those circumstances rather than shutting down all discussion of a great SSC figure that's just been released in the past week or two?

:exactly:

This is a quick and dirty representation of how I interpret what I see in ESB when I look at Luke's rank badge. There are promotional photos which do show a four-sided cloth frame around the badge, but maybe they changed it before filming- or maybe the bottom of the badge was shifted so it overlaps the bottom of the cloth frame- or maybe my interpretation is wrong. Anyway, this is what I am seeing on screen. XODDa5i - Copy.jpg
It looks to me like a three-sided cloth 'hood' that slightly overhangs the badge from above and from left and right, and it tapers thinner as it goes down the sides.
vlcsnap-2015-04-09-08h27m54s65.jpg

Your image above is missing the left side of the badge - there should be some seemingly empty badge material on the left side visible via the pocket's window. According to some costuming site I just visited, there are 3 different rank badges - 1 before wampa, 1 after wampa, 1 for promos. The first one has only one blue square. I'd link to the page, but IMO, their rank badges, aside from the color squares are totally off - easy to see from a cursory look at any still from the movie.

Here's one I posted before, now with some exposure adjustments.

Luke Hoth Reference-2.jpg

Last edited:
Your image above is missing the left side of the badge - there should be some seemingly empty badge material on the left side visible via the pocket's window. According to some costuming site I just visited, there are 3 different rank badges - 1 before wampa, 1 after wampa, 1 for promos. The first one has only one blue square. I'd link to the page, but IMO, their rank badges, aside from the color squares are totally off - easy to see from a cursory look at any still from the movie.

Here's one I posted before, now with some exposure adjustments.

View attachment 178291

Yeah, Luke's rank badge's color squares vary. I think it depended on Finse vs. soundstage vs. later pick-up shots.

e3aea0fdc2029de00ad3ba90e4f7ee07.jpg
da6c75335f9d13238d17679b91473647.jpg
Vest dyed and the spare head on the knock off true type and Sideshow Jedi Luke costume. Not sure on Jedi Luke as he looks a bit youthful, may put him in sideshow Bespin outfit instead.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

FInishing my Hoth Luke and hand and decided to rework my Hasbro tauntaun.

It is one of the great hasbro 12" creature. Great sculpt but really poor paintjob.
The first thing I wanted to do is replaced the sadle with a real one. Big problem is that the beast is hollow vinyl. SO I had to cut the best in half remove the sculpted parts and re-fill and resculpted the body where the parts were missing.

I repainted it completely and i'm in the process of flocking the tauntaun to give him that snowy look.

Here's the first pics. Still lots of work to do.

IMG_1824_zpstraesbwp.jpg

IMG_1825_zpsxz3aok29.jpg

IMG_1838_zpszestwmuv.jpg

Does anyone know what the helmeted head looks like without the helmet?i want to grab an extra head so I can put the Dx hair on it and the helmet version is a tad cheaper.if it's the same sculpt underneath the helmet as it is under the hair on the helmet less version,I can grab the helmet version,use it for my mod and get an empty helmet too.but if there's no ears or back of the head then I really can't use it.hoping someone took off the helmet and can snap a few pics so I can see what's going on under the helmet before I buy one.

Back