1/6 Scale Mad Max V8 Interceptor (scratchbuild)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Making the door hinges.

mm039.jpg

The hinges are screwed to the body.

mm040.jpg

There are square tubes glued to the inside of the door panel, which the hinges slide into. This allows me to quickly remove the door panel during the build, saving me the trouble of un-screwing the hinges every time.

mm041.jpg

mm042.jpg

mm043.jpg

The doors are already a very good fit, with very little sanding to do.

mm044.jpg

Building the rear trunk opening.

mm045.jpg

Adding the outer body panels.

mm046.jpg

There is an inner frame to support the extra fuel tanks,.

mm047.jpg

With both openings cut out, the centre section was quite weak, so i added extra beams.

mm048.jpg

Fitting the frame to the car.

mm049.jpg

Fuel tanks fitted temporarily. These are made from 70mm drain pipe. They are slightly under size in diameter, but were the closest i could get.

mm050.jpg

Finished off the ends of the trunk frame and started making the spoiler end pieces. I made them too big at first, so cut them down.

mm051.jpg

All filled and sanded down. I also added the ridges on the rear panel.

mm052.jpg

As a lifelong Road Warrior fan who saw it in theaters and about 200 time since. I can say without question this is the greatest thing ever posted on this forum.

Yup, even better than Inart Aragorn.
I totally agree. The fact that this is being created from scratch and using plasticard is a remarkable feat of skill. Hats off to you Marine Boy, this is incredible work!

Making the air scoops on the sides. I started by gluing 10 lengths of L beams together.

mm053.jpg

Cut to the right size and taper the fins at the leading edge.

mm054.jpg

Cut a hole in the bodywork and fit.

mm055.jpg

mm056.jpg

Making the trim pieces. each one is made from 4 pieces of plasticard.

mm057.jpg

Rough shaping is done by a Dremel then sanded down.

mm058.jpg

mm059.jpg

Fitted onto the car.

mm060.jpg

Making the rear bumper. This starts as a strip of plasticard with square beams glued to the ends.

mm061.jpg

The end pieces are attached. They are curved to match the bodywork.

mm062.jpg

Adding the lower panels.

mm063.jpg

More square beams are used to fill in the gaps around the rear lights and the number plate surround added. Once it has all the corners rounded off, it's done.

mm064.jpg

Fantastic! Let me know if you need any reference photos Marine Boy for the weathering stage, I've got loads of images saved for when I eventually build my own 1/24 Interceptor model. May I please ask how you created the tryes?

The tyres are off-road RC car tyres. I normally look in the 1/8 scale range, to find the size I need. I will scratchbuild some wheel inserts to match the movie.

Making the inserts for the rear wheels. Still to do the centres.

mm072.jpg

These will just push fit in.

mm073.jpg

Building the rear inner arches.

mm074.jpg

Building the rear bulkhead.

mm075.jpg

Making the rear suspension. I've used flat steel bar to make functional leaf springs. There is still a lot more detail to be added in this area.

mm076.jpg

Checking the ride height is ok. The front suspension is not done yet, but it's necessary to check that the overall build is heading in the right direction.

mm077.jpg

mm078.jpg

mm079.jpg

Back