1/6 Scale Mad Max V8 Interceptor (scratchbuild)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Adding the transmission tunnel. This is made from a length of drain pipe, cut in half.

mm080.jpg

Building the front sub frame. This will provide pick up points for the front suspension as well as the engine mounts.

mm081.jpg

Making the front uprights. These have been greatly simplified for strength.

mm082.jpg

mm083.jpg

Shock absorbers made and fitted.

mm086.jpg

The shocks are attached with a screw, passing through the shock towers.

mm087.jpg

On it's own wheels for the first time.

mm088.jpg

The front end is sagging just a little, so i will fit stronger springs, or fit spacers at the top of the shocks.

mm089.jpg

Here it is parked next to the Spinner. Both are police cars from movies released in 1982, and both from universes set in the near future. Similar, yet somehow, completely different.

mm090.jpg

Front suspension is now complete, after adding the steering rack and cross bracing. I normally add microswitches on the steering rack, to turn on the indicators, but that seems irrelevant in a post apocalyptic wasteland.

mm092.jpg

Completed the basic shape of the dashboard.

mm096.jpg

Making one of the 2 gauge clusters.

mm097.jpg

Cutting out the openings in the instrument panel.

mm098.jpg

Gauges fitted.

mm099.jpg

After cutting away the excess and sanding down. Just some filler needed now.

mm100.jpg

Done some more work to the seat. It's slow going. Added the centre section.

mm106.jpg

The side bolsters are built up with scraps of plasticard, then filled in.

mm107.jpg

Partially sanded, then started on the backrest hinges.

mm108.jpg

Building up the sides.

mm109.jpg

The side bolsters are done the same way.

mm110.jpg

The centre sections still need the panelling added.

mm111.jpg

Checking the height and angles are correct. The seat will be mounted on rails.

mm112.jpg

After much filling and sanding, and I'm happy with the overall shape, I use a Dremel to cut a groove around the edges.

mm113.jpg

I glue lengths of electrical wire all round to represent piping.

mm114.jpg

The backrest panel has more piping added as well. This is screwed in from behind to complete the seat.

mm115.jpg

Apologies for the lack of updates, i was on holiday for a few weeks (first in 4 years) plus, it took a bit of time to get back in the groove.

Making the seat runners.

mm116.jpg

Attached to the seat base. The centre section will be screwed to the floorpan.

mm117.jpg

I've not been able to do any work to this lately, as i recently bought a classic car. A long time ambition of mine. It's currently on a friend's driveway, until i can get space for it cleared up at my own house. This involves cleaning out the garage and building a new storage shed at the back of the garden. Hopefully, i can get back to this in a few weeks, once the car is settled in it's new home.

lotus-esprit-s3a.jpg

It's a 1985 Esprit S3 NA (Normally Aspirated), not a Turbo. I've heard the Turbos are generally less reliable and consequently, costlier to maintain. For me. it's not about speed, but pretending to be James Bond :cool:.

As the window for spray painting is approaching, i want to try and finish off the building for this.

Making the wheel inserts. This starts as 4 discs of 2mm plasticard glued together. The centre is drilled out and the edges bevelled.

mm118.jpg

The gaps are marked out on the back.

mm119.jpg

Most of the gaps are drilled out.

mm120.jpg

A knife is used to tidy them up.

mm121.jpg

They are a push fit into the existing wheels. The centre hub will cover the wheel retaining screw.

mm122.jpg

Back