1/6 Scale Mad Max V8 Interceptor (scratchbuild)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Reaction score
The Blade Runner Spinner is undergoing paint touch-ups, so while I'm waiting, I have started my new project just before my Xmas break. The build will be similar to the Aston, but with minimal electronics and no fancy gadgets, I'm hoping to get it done in 6 months. I'm building a hybrid of the 1st and 2nd movie versions. It will have the extra fuel tanks, but also a removable front spoiler. After 2 days, the front end is already taking shape.

mm001.jpg

Making the end pieces.

mm002.jpg

After rough shaping.

mm003.jpg

That's looking awesome already Marine Boy! May I ask if you're using plasticard there? How are you shaping it?

It's 2mm thick plasticard. the front wings are made by cutting out the shapes and heating gently with a heat gun. They are curved slightly, by placing it in a large woodworking vice and bending it. The upper and lower parts are glued together, then sanded until it looks seamless.
To remove material, i use a sanding drum in a Dremel. The speed of the tool is kept high enough so the particles clump together, rather than creating dust.

Last edited:
"Easy enough" 😂. You sir, are too humble with your skills. I am sure you will absolutely knock this one out of the park. Looking forward to seeing it take shape

Finished the front spoiler by adding detail around the air scoops as well as the front lip.

mm005.jpg

Started on the tops of the wings.

mm006.jpg

Making the rear bodywork. Start by cutting the parts out from plasticard.

mm009.jpg

Hold each piece in a vice and press firmly to create a slight curve.

mm010.jpg

The edge of the join is bevelled slightly, for a better fit.

mm011.jpg

Tape both parts together.

mm012.jpg

On the reverse side, pull the top and bottom together with tape to create the fold. Apply liquid cement to the join.

mm013.jpg

Cut some rectangles of plasticard and fold gently.

mm014.jpg

Glue to the inside to reinforce the join. Clamp and let it set.

mm015.jpg

Once it's dry, remove all clamps and tape. Any gaps can be filled with CA glue.

mm016.jpg

Sand the join, until it looks seamless.

mm017.jpg

I've been working on another grail project of mine. It's Guy Manuel's helmet from Daft Punk. It's been 4 days and is about 80% complete. The visor came from a toy helmet. Most DP helmet builds go on for months. I'd like to get mine finished (lights and all) by New Year.

guy005.jpg

guy006.jpg

I've gotten back to working on the Interceptor. Joining the front and rear ends. I may need to adjust the roof slightly.

mm022.jpg

I've beefed up the sills substantially, as chassis flex has created big problems with panel alignment in the past.

mm023.jpg

As for my Daft Punk helmet, i ran into some issues. My original plan was not to paint it, but to use a vinyl wrap, as it has a better reflective finish and durability than gold paint. Unfortunately, it proved too difficult to make it conform to the awkward shapes. Looks like it will have to be painted after all. As it's too cold right now, for spray painting, it will have to wait until the spring at least.

Building the rear trunk floor. I cut off the roof, as it was needing it's angle corrected and would be easier to shape when it's off the car.

mm024.jpg

Making the roof. I'll re-attach it, once the "A" pillars are made.

mm025.jpg

I managed to acquire a new engine model for this project, a supercharged Ford unit from a dragster. I'll remove the exhausts and refit them onto the side of the car.

mm026.jpg

Managed to finish building the "A" pillars. There is a brass rod embedded inside for strength and the ends are screwed to the interior tub. These have been made very sturdily, as they are also the mounting points for the door hinges.

mm027.jpg

Roof temporarily fitted to check there is enough interior space and the flow of the roofline is correct. I will make the spoiler before re-joining the roof to the rear bodywork.

mm028.jpg

mm029.jpg

Making the outer door panels. Each door is made up of 3 separate panels, which are shaped individually, then joined together. It's easier to shape them in separate parts, rather than 1 big one.

Making the top panel. This one is the trickiest, as it has a fold at the front edge, which flattens towards the rear edge.

mm034.jpg

The middle and lower sections only have a mild curvature.

mm035.jpg

mm036.jpg

Once I'm happy with the contours, i glue the top 2 sections together.

mm037.jpg

Once they are set, i glue the lower panel.

mm038.jpg

To finish off, i sand down the edges to maintain a consistent panel gap. I will only do the final sanding down of the surfaces, after the hinges and inner frames are in place

Back