1/6 Scale Blade Runner Spinner scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rear strobe lights fitted.

spin197.jpg

Adding the remaining details to the front wheel mounts. This is the last big section still to be spray painted.

spin198.jpg

Making the floodlights. It's tricky to get them all exactly the same.

spin199.jpg

Front and rear floodlights done. Just to add some lenses and LEDs on the inside.

spin200.jpg

spin201.jpg

Added more detail to the rear panel. There are a few functional buttons still to be fitted.

spin202.jpg

Photo etched logos added and door mirrors made.

spin203.jpg

Body is about 90% painted.

spin204.jpg

Wiring the underbody lights. There are about 70 LEDs in total.

spin205.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely amazing build. Maybe it's a bit too late in the game to ask this, but do you have anything planned for the open foot wells, which were an error on the Fujimi kit?

Last edited:
Making the floodlights.

spin206.jpg

spin207.jpg

I've fitted microswitches to the rear axle, so all underbody lighting is automatically switched off, when the car is placed on the ground.

spin208.jpg

Absolutely amazing build. Maybe it's a bit too late in the game to ask this, but do you have anything planned for the open foot wells, which were an error on the Fujimi kit?
There will be glass panels fitted into the footwells. I will secure them with "U" channels glued all round the edge of the windows.

The Fujimi kit had these glass panels, but the interior tub was moulded solid, so you couldn't see through them. Very odd.

Testing the underbody lighting. The front and rear floodlights can be turned off by interior switches.

spin209.jpg

Fitted the switches to open the doors and tidied up the wiring for the EL panels.

spin210.jpg

The red ball is the door button.

spin211.jpg

I also tried to get the glass panels made but it was a disaster. The mould i made was hollow and consequently not strong enough. The heat and pressure caused the mould to distort and was left damaged. I think the sheet used was too thick. Next time i will try a thinner one (1mm) which should not require as much pressure. I will reshape the mould, reinforce it on the inside with fibreglass and screw it down to a sheet of plywood. Hopefully that should do it.

Last edited:
Fitting LEDs to the roof bars. It's difficult to make the wiring as unobtrusive as possible.

spin212.jpg

Temporarily wired for show.

spin213.jpg

I'm using a small PCB removed from a bike Police siren, for the timing. Once i remove the SMDs from the board, the actual lights will be brighter.

spin214.jpg

Wired up to the PCB. I'll apply some black paint on the back of the LEDs to prevent light leakage.

Installed LEDs into the strobe lights. The ones on the roof bars are difficult to get working reliably, so i may opt for electronic versions instead. I still need to make it quieter and less squeaky.

The clear domes have been vacformed and painted. The base plates will attach to the mounting poles with a hidden screw.

spin215.jpg

Shown assembled.

spin216.jpg

The top light had to be held in place with magnets, as a screw would have been visible in the clear perspex.

spin217.jpg

The lights occasionally jam, but it soon sorts itself out. I will apply a little grease to try to improve it.

All the lights now fitted.

spin218.jpg

Made the struts for the wheel covers. The inner arm is sprung to pull the cover inwards when it's folded down.

spin219.jpg

spin220.jpg

spin221.jpg

I've installed the door glass, but I'm not completely happy with it. There are a lot of surface impurities in the material. The centre section is also very flimsy, so is proving to be difficult to fit. I think I'll have to have a 3rd attempt at vacforming in a thicker material. I'll also extend it to include the 2 roof windows. It will be easier to secure the glass this way.

spin222.jpg

Couldn't resist seeing it all on at once. One thing I will add is a switch to reverse the direction of the strobe light motor. The belts occasionally get stuck and reversing it, gets them going again.

Managed to partially install the windshield glass. The sides are glued to the frames, which are screwed in place. The front and rear edges are held in place by the bodywork. There's a bit of clean up work needed around the glue seams. I'm also going to reshape the frames to better match the contours of the glass. I was contemplating having another vacform made, but it would take another 2 weeks. I'm aiming to finish before the 12 month timescale and am already thinking about my next project.

spin223.jpg

Back