1/6 Scale Blade Runner Spinner scratchbuild (Complete!)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Attaching the wheel covers. There's still some work to be done to align all the panel edges. I was going to keep the rear bodywork separate, to access the batteries, but gluing it to the roof, allowed me to smooth the panels together, more easily.

spin141.jpg

Battery access will be through the wheel covers. These are meant to double as wings during high speed flight.

spin142.jpg

Fitting LED strips to the front wheel covers. The glass panels just push in.

spin143.jpg

spin144.jpg

Building the channels needed for the EL wire.

spin145.jpg

EL wire installed temporarily. They will be glued in after painting is complete.

spin146.jpg

spin147.jpg

Building the oval side windows. It is taking a long time to match all the curved surfaces.

spin148.jpg

Fitting EL panels to the wheel covers.

spin156.jpg

Unfortunately, I'll have to redo the yellow panel. The EL sheet is quite fragile. I tried to trim the edge down with a scalpel which was a mistake. It's better to cut with scissors, as it applies pressure on both sides. The scalpel only puts pressure from one side, causing the layers to separate, giving that messy edge. Done properly, it gives a nice even glow.

spin157.jpg

I had to tweak the front wheels yet again. Even though the actuators are exactly the same, there were times they would open at different rates, which looked odd. I had to refit the gears (hidden behind panel) to physically link each side together.

spin158.jpg

I fitted more linear actuators to both doors. I wanted to avoid this, as they cost £25 each, but they are much quieter and smoother now.

spin159.jpg

A little bit of adjustment required, as the maximum opening angles are slightly different.

spin160.jpg

I had to tweak all of the linkages for the wheel covers. Before. with the covers closed, they would move out of position, with all the weight of the front end pushing them up, Much better now.

spin161.jpg

I'm going to move the instrument binnacle forward slightly, so there is more room for the controls. You can just see the metal beams added to the central spine, to stop the chassis flexing too much.

spin162.jpg

Door test

Building the side windows. These took much longer than expected, because cutting such large openings into the side panels made them very weak. As they are the main supports for the roof, they had to be reinforced.

spin166.jpg

Making the rail on the driver's side. There is a brass flat bar inside for strength.

spin167.jpg

spin168.jpg

Mounted to the bodywork. The rail should curve under at the bottom, rather than an angle, so i'll have to redo that section later.

spin169.jpg

Light fitting under construction.

spin170.jpg

Reworked the lower part of the rail. I fitted a temporary light beacon for now. I will have a new one vacformed when i get the glass made.

spin171.jpg

Finished making the rear nozzles. I've fitted a microswitch to the rear suspension, so that the lights come on, when the car is lifted off the ground.

spin172.jpg

I will paint the back to stop light leakage between the nozzles.

spin173.jpg

spin174.jpg

Dash display printed onto paper and stuck onto a thin sheet of plasticard. I retouched the black areas with paint to increase the contrast.

spin175.jpg

spin176.jpg

Making the centre console with functional switches. The blue buttons are for the instrument lighting and the night time lighting.

spin177.jpg

More work done to the centre console.

spin178.jpg

I'm also taking advantage of the sunny weather in the UK right now and getting all the main body panels spray painted.

Building the thruster nozzles. I started by gluing some "L" beams onto a sheet of plasticard. Add some flat strips on top to give more depth.

spin179.jpg

Cut out the panel to the required size and drill out the vents, front and back.

spin180.jpg

spin181.jpg

Cut out the slots with a knife and paint.

spin182.jpg

Building the light enclosure. There is a very thin sheet of plasticard behind the vents to diffuse the light.

spin183.jpg

Installed into the housings.

spin184.jpg

These will light automatically, when the car is lifted off the ground.

spin185.jpg

Making the underbody strobe lights. I started by gluing some "U" channel to a frame.

spin186.jpg

A clear ridged light panel is slid into place. This was cut from a cassette case. (remember those?)

spin187.jpg

The mounts start out as plasticard strips glued into blocks.

spin188.jpg

Drill 2 5mm holes for the LEDs.

spin189.jpg

Shape the reflectors using a dremel and finesse with a knife.

spin190.jpg

spin191.jpg

Apply some chrome tape.

spin192.jpg

Glue the frames on top.

spin193.jpg

Paint and fit the light panels. Another section of channel is glued to secure it. I will make the red lenses, as soon as i can find another cassette box.

spin194.jpg

Light test

spin195.jpg

Attached to the floorpan with screws.

spin196.jpg

Okay, explain yourself, lol! You must have worked in the effects industry at some point. Really stellar work, and I'm grateful for your informative posts, very interesting.

Back