1/6 Scale Blade Runner Spinner (scratchbuild)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Attaching the wheel covers. There's still some work to be done to align all the panel edges. I was going to keep the rear bodywork separate, to access the batteries, but gluing it to the roof, allowed me to smooth the panels together, more easily.

spin141.jpg


Battery access will be through the wheel covers. These are meant to double as wings during high speed flight.

spin142.jpg


Fitting LED strips to the front wheel covers. The glass panels just push in.

spin143.jpg


spin144.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Building the channels needed for the EL wire.

spin145.jpg


EL wire installed temporarily. They will be glued in after painting is complete.

spin146.jpg


spin147.jpg


Building the oval side windows. It is taking a long time to match all the curved surfaces.

spin148.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Fitting EL panels to the wheel covers.

spin156.jpg


Unfortunately, I'll have to redo the yellow panel. The EL sheet is quite fragile. I tried to trim the edge down with a scalpel which was a mistake. It's better to cut with scissors, as it applies pressure on both sides. The scalpel only puts pressure from one side, causing the layers to separate, giving that messy edge. Done properly, it gives a nice even glow.

spin157.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
I had to tweak the front wheels yet again. Even though the actuators are exactly the same, there were times they would open at different rates, which looked odd. I had to refit the gears (hidden behind panel) to physically link each side together.

spin158.jpg


I fitted more linear actuators to both doors. I wanted to avoid this, as they cost £25 each, but they are much quieter and smoother now.

spin159.jpg


A little bit of adjustment required, as the maximum opening angles are slightly different.

spin160.jpg


I had to tweak all of the linkages for the wheel covers. Before. with the covers closed, they would move out of position, with all the weight of the front end pushing them up, Much better now.

spin161.jpg


I'm going to move the instrument binnacle forward slightly, so there is more room for the controls. You can just see the metal beams added to the central spine, to stop the chassis flexing too much.

spin162.jpg


Door test

 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Building the side windows. These took much longer than expected, because cutting such large openings into the side panels made them very weak. As they are the main supports for the roof, they had to be reinforced.

spin166.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Making the rail on the driver's side. There is a brass flat bar inside for strength.

spin167.jpg


spin168.jpg


Mounted to the bodywork. The rail should curve under at the bottom, rather than an angle, so i'll have to redo that section later.

spin169.jpg


Light fitting under construction.

spin170.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Reworked the lower part of the rail. I fitted a temporary light beacon for now. I will have a new one vacformed when i get the glass made.

spin171.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Finished making the rear nozzles. I've fitted a microswitch to the rear suspension, so that the lights come on, when the car is lifted off the ground.

spin172.jpg


I will paint the back to stop light leakage between the nozzles.

spin173.jpg


spin174.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Dash display printed onto paper and stuck onto a thin sheet of plasticard. I retouched the black areas with paint to increase the contrast.

spin175.jpg


spin176.jpg


Making the centre console with functional switches. The blue buttons are for the instrument lighting and the night time lighting.

spin177.jpg
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
More work done to the centre console.

spin178.jpg


I'm also taking advantage of the sunny weather in the UK right now and getting all the main body panels spray painted.
 

Marine Boy

Super Freak
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
1,200
Reaction score
513
Location
Scotland
Building the thruster nozzles. I started by gluing some "L" beams onto a sheet of plasticard. Add some flat strips on top to give more depth.

spin179.jpg


Cut out the panel to the required size and drill out the vents, front and back.

spin180.jpg


spin181.jpg


Cut out the slots with a knife and paint.

spin182.jpg


Building the light enclosure. There is a very thin sheet of plasticard behind the vents to diffuse the light.

spin183.jpg


Installed into the housings.

spin184.jpg


These will light automatically, when the car is lifted off the ground.

spin185.jpg
 
Top