1/6 NEXT Hot Toys DC Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not Hot Toys but here is the InArt lineup for 2022-23, translated.

1652446526599.png

I see that Blue Beetle is filming currently. Suit looks decent, having a now standard type of design for the superhero genre. Personally, I’ve never followed this character so I feel no investment in seeing a Blue Beetle movie. But I’m aware that he is a fairly popular character. Anyway, the suit looks well designed for the toy market. I’m expecting this movie to be in the James Gunn or Taika Waititi type of mold, with lots of irreverent humor. So it may end up being popular since there’s definitely a market for that type of superhero film.

I recently watched a fizzfop1’s YT channel video about the comics history origins of the character. Best I can tell here it appears that this movie will have Ted Kord passing the mantle to a young man. In the comics the character started with supernatural powers (he could fly and had super strength, so was Superman-like) and when that version of the character died he passed the mantle (IIRC that included literally via passing down an ancient Egyptian blue beetle scarab as well, although no no longer imbued with magic powers?) with the new incarnation is basically a Batman type of character, i.e., wealthy and relying on ingenuity, cleverness, and gadgets and tech.

Last edited:
Yea honestly I lost all trust and any good faith in them. They seem to be the only company that will tease or show something and never release it. It’s not like it is once or twice. They’ll do this numerous times at cons and on there fb page. I’m so glad more and more companies are stepping up. Maybe they will change there buissness practices. That’s absolutely unacceptable
I hope they just drop the whole dc license and Inart and take its place .

They are never going to make dc figures at least not ar the same level that they do for marvel.

Whole movies are released and they tease an never release.

It's crazy to see how much stuff they produce for marvel and star wars of course they will never have time to invest in dc.

So all those dc upcoming movies I hope Inart steps up and competes they can great since it an under severed market .

I cant think of any marvel movie that get released with out a figure but dc they skip the whole movie altogether , Joker , Shazam suicide squad ,king shark does not count its basicly a PVC mold.

So who really care what they announced since it highly unlikely it will not made.

I used to think the issue was with actors not giving their approval for their likeness, but then you see statues being made and in some cases like riddler and black manta no likeness is required yet they dont even bother to make it.

I’d like to see Hot Toys retain the DC license, as long as WB continues being more lax and licensing to other 1/6 companies as well.

Hot Toys’ Robert Pattinson Batman looks to be their best figure in years, I’m sure in part to InArt breathing down their neck.

I’m for Hot Toys and other companies having the DC license - just no more of Hot Toys sitting comfortably as the sole licensee.

I’d be fine with hot toys losing the rights. If hot toys likes Disney so much then let them be a Disney centric company . Let other companies tackle what people want.

I just want a Dr. Fate from Black Adam, someone to finally make Nolan Ras, a Keanu JonCon, and WB to get off their arses and make those GL movies. If we don't get a Fate by anyone I'll be severely disappointed...

Screen-Shot-2022-02-11-at-12.54.01-PM-900x483.png
black-adam-dr-fate.jpeg

I'd have vastle preferred the concept art, but I'll take the more classic costume. Still...

545216185a9c9bf2c477685d38f6db0b.jpg

What could've been...

I just want a Dr. Fate from Black Adam, someone to finally make Nolan Ras, a Keanu JonCon, and WB to get off their arses and make those GL movies. If we don't get a Fate by anyone I'll be severely disappointed...

Screen-Shot-2022-02-11-at-12.54.01-PM-900x483.png
black-adam-dr-fate.jpeg

I'd have vastle preferred the concept art, but I'll take the more classic costume. Still.
What could've been...
I hate that they didn’t go with the concept art.

Fate looks amazing. Honestly, I’m almost indifferent to Johnson as Black Adam compared to the rest of the JSA we’ll be seeing. Like, I’m excited for the movie and he looks good, but he’s the least exciting part of his own movie for me. :lol

I hate that they didn’t go with the concept art.
Yeah, I get that they went with a modernised take on the classic look, but the concept art was so much better. Still, I'd buy the figure and hope we get more DC magical characters.

Fate looks amazing. Honestly, I’m almost indifferent to Johnson as Black Adam compared to the rest of the JSA we’ll be seeing. Like, I’m excited for the movie and he looks good, but he’s the least exciting part of his own movie for me. :lol
I just can't see Black Adam; I see the Rock in a plastic costume.

Yeah, I get that they went with a modernised take on the classic look, but the concept art was so much better. Still, I'd buy the figure and hope we get more DC magical characters.

I just can't see Black Adam; I see the Rock in a plastic costume.
This is one area where I feel Marvel casting usually works better. While there are clear exceptions, so many actors aren’t yet big enough mega-stars to overshadow their role. People didn’t see RDJ, they saw Tony Stark. People didn’t see Chris Hensworth, they saw Thor. Etc.

I just see The Rock. It’s the same feeling I had when Arnold Schwarzenegger played Mr. Freeze. To a lesser extent, it was a problem I had with Ben Affleck as Batman, though wearing a full cowl helped.

It could still be a good movie, but my brain is going to only see The Rock on screen.

Last edited:
This is one area where I feel Marvel casting usually works better. While their are clear exceptions, so many actors aren’t yet big enough mega-stars to overshadow their role. People didn’t see RDJ, they saw Tony Stark. People didn’t see Chris Hensworth, they saw Thor. Etc.

I just see The Rock. It’s the same feeling I had when Arnold Schwarzenegger played Mr. Freeze. To a lesser extent, it was a problem I had with Ben Affleck as Batman, though wearing a full cowl helped.

It could still be a good movie, but my brain is going to only see The Rock on screen.
At the same time casting complete unknowns can backfire, especially if they bare 0 resemblance to the character. See Clown Kang for example (no I will never stop bringing it up; I seethe about it daily and it's what I bring to mind when I'm exercising). Sometimes a big name can make the translation to the screen even better. Sometimes an unknown is the way to go. Both have their pros and cons, but I think it's a case-by-case basis.

In Johnson's case he just became too big and stopped caring. He's not Black Adam, he's literally the Rock wearing a plastic costume. He won't portray him as an anti-villain, merely as just a tad murderous superhero. And that just breaks the immersion and leaves you seeing just the Rock in cosplay, not the character. He doesn't have his classic widows peak, his elvish ears, nothing. The Rock's not even bothering to capture the essence of the character with the specific facial expressions needed, as he's literally acting as just the Rock in every other film.

Which is a shame, since he's not an awful actor. He could've taken a legitimate shot at this instead of half-assing it. But he's just too big to obscure any part of himself and his image. Current Rock would never make anything like Southland Tales for example.

At the same time casting complete unknowns can backfire, especially if they bare 0 resemblance to the character. See Clown Kang for example (no I will never stop bringing it up; I seethe about it daily and it's what I bring to mind when I'm exercising). Sometimes a big name can make the translation to the screen even better. Sometimes an unknown is the way to go. Both have their pros and cons, but I think it's a case-by-case basis.

In Johnson's case he just became too big and stopped caring. He's not Black Adam, he's literally the Rock wearing a plastic costume. He won't portray him as an anti-villain, merely as just a tad murderous superhero. And that just breaks the immersion and leaves you seeing just the Rock in cosplay, not the character. He doesn't have his classic widows peak, his elvish ears, nothing. The Rock's not even bothering to capture the essence of the character with the specific facial expressions needed, as he's literally acting as just the Rock in every other film.

Which is a shame, since he's not an awful actor. He could've taken a legitimate shot at this instead of half-assing it. But he's just too big to obscure any part of himself and his image. Current Rock would never make anything like Southland Tales for example.
This continues to get a chuckle out of me, because I do agree 100% on The Rock, we haven’t even SEEN Jonathan Majors as Kang yet. I’ll reserve judgement until I see him in action and not as a disposable variant as important long-term as those Illuminati numbskulls.

Inversely, it’s like Ezra Miller or Amber Heard were household names either, so an unknown isn’t a good guarantee either.

This continues to get a chuckle out of me, because I do agree 100% on The Rock, we haven’t even SEEN Jonathan Majors as Kang yet. I’ll reserve judgement until I see him in action and not as a disposable variant as important long-term as those Illuminati numbskulls.

Inversely, it’s like Ezra Miller or Amber Heard were household names either, so an unknown isn’t a good guarantee either.
Yeah, well, I've seen his goofy face though, so, y'know... It's like getting fat Jack Black as Tony Stark; it doesn't fit. I'm an Aestheticist, what can I do? My Kang's getting a Christian Bale or a Jude Law head now that he'll be in SW and I can get one. He's been in my Top 10 since forever, I'm not making due with a goofy D-Lister. He's not Reva-Tier awful, and he seems like a genuinely nice guy from interviews, but Kang he's not. If he was literally any other character, any other Space Conqueror, I'd have been more open-minded. But as it stands... nah. Not muh! Kang for me is a character tied to the Antiquity, so I can't see him as anything other than that. It's why I keep mentioning Jude Law and Christian Bale; they fit the bill and were my fancasts for the guy. If he was a generic space conqueror I'd have been open to more interpretations, but I just can't do it in this particular case. So I'll keep seething until the inevitable FF reboot in 2048...

At the end of the day, known, unknown, it comes down to who can embody the character best. For me that means sticking as close as possible to both appearance and characterisation. But sometimes a bigger name can add some extra gravitas which is useful.

Last edited:
I’d love to see InArt do a two-pack of Riddler, including his masked look and his Arkham jumpsuit + shackles. A “NO NO NO NOOOOOO!” head would be and fun to display.

Heck, maybe they could even do something similar to their Joker’s prison cell diorama and include the visitation room wall? I’d love to have this set up in a detolf, if it could be done convincingly:

Back