1/6 NEXT Hot Toys DC Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is Hot Toys able to include gun accessories with DC releases?
Well the latest one is a Knightmare Batman with Black Suit Superman and he has a gun, but it was a reissue. Batman XE/Nightwing/King Shark don't use guns. I guess we will really find out when TSS Harley(s) are made. I hope that it only applies to the cheaper market figures and not the obvious adult collectors with HT. 2-ish weeks till TSS comes out.

Well the latest one is a Knightmare Batman with Black Suit Superman and he has a gun, but it was a reissue. Batman XE/Nightwing/King Shark don't use guns. I guess we will really find out when TSS Harley(s) are made. I hope that it only applies to the cheaper market figures and not the obvious adult collectors with HT. 2-ish weeks till TSS comes out.
Prime 1 Studios Grim Knight statue had to have all the weapons removed from the promotional photos.

"Pursuant to Warner Bros.’ Weapons and Propriety Mandate, Prime 1 Studio is unable to completely and properly display, market, or advertise the product herein.
The Mandate stipulates that Prime 1 Studio cannot exhibit any statue with attached weapons, ammunition, or explosives for the purposes of marketing and advertising, nor can the former be exhibited in a threatening manner."

It puts Hot Toys in a tight bind with characters such as Harley, Bloodsport, Peacemaker, and even Cyborg.

The thing that gets me is if they don't want to show realistic guns, then they should at least be allowed do what Hasbro does with certain figures and use some doofy looking sci-fi blaster or something. Bloodsport's weapons already don't look like any real world firearms.

Screen_Shot_2020_08_22_at_3.05.51_PM.png

Prime 1 Studio sent out a notice that they're allowed to include the weapons with the Grim Knight product, they just can't advertise them with the statue. (They may have been grandfathered in before the mandate started.) Then, on the other hand, 1/12 scaled Japanese companies have sent out notices to retailers that they have removed the weapons from the product that were previously promoted. Also, the S.H.Figuarts Suicide Squad Harley Quinn has no weapons listed with the product and McFarlane toys for Suicide Squad does not include any gun weapon accessories for their line as well.

So it's still up in the air on whether or not the company can include the weapons in the final product and not promote them in any photos or they aren't allowed at all. If it's the latter, I think it's going to be extremely difficult for companies, especially like Hot Toys, to get consumers hyped about certain characters.

It's beyond ridiculous. I don't think anybody would be all that thrilled about Harley, Bloodsport, or Peacemaker if they didn't have their weapons with them. It also erases any hope people had that Cyborg could include the Knightmare scene accessories. In the end, King Shark was Hot Toy's safest prototype to reveal.

Please keep your comments clean and appropriate.

Thread cleaned and a warning given.
I don’t get what was offensive in that post. It was a page from an actual, official anthology published by DC. My point was that it was tone deaf and written by someone with 0 knowledge about the continuity, which I find depressing considering the current state of comics.

Apologies in any case.

RE guns: I think it’s silly. If you’re committed to it, stop pushing gun-related characters. I suppose making toys of murderers and mercs is fine, somehow. Michael Myers is more accepted than the Punisher it seems…

I don’t get what was offensive in that post. It was a page from an actual, official anthology published by DC. My point was that it was tone deaf and written by someone with 0 knowledge about the continuity, which I find depressing considering the current state of comics.

Apologies in any case.

RE guns: I think it’s silly. If you’re committed to it, stop pushing gun-related characters. I suppose making toys of murderers and mercs is fine, somehow. Michael Myers is more accepted than the Punisher it seems…
I like my figures to be as screen accurate as possible, but your Punisher and Michael Myers analogy makes no sense.
The gun thing isn’t a new federal law, it’s a policy that for whatever reason WB has put in place for their own products.
Neither the Punisher nor Michael Myers are WB properties so it has nothing to do with any of this.

I like my figures to be as screen accurate as possible, but your Punisher and Michael Myers analogy makes no sense.
The gun thing isn’t a new federal law, it’s a policy that for whatever reason WB has put in place for their own products.
Neither the Punisher nor Michael Myers are WB properties so it has nothing to do with any of this.
In the bigger context the Myers and Punisher makes sense. @darthkostis knows neither are WB properties. You see Myers on screen gutting firefighters and a bunch of other people, but politics has taken ahold of the Punisher and you don't see him on screen or in comics anymore. Guns and knives both kill people, but still showing one and not the other is pretty hypocritical. WB clearly hates money and it shows with their DC properties.

I don't know why @darthkostis posts got taken down as I've said worst stuff in other threads. Maybe I missed a post or two.

Basically what
In the bigger context the Myers and Punisher makes sense. @darthkostis knows neither are WB properties. You see Myers on screen gutting firefighters and a bunch of other people, but politics has taken ahold of the Punisher and you don't see him on screen or in comics anymore. Guns and knives both kill people, but still showing one and not the other is pretty hypocritical. WB clearly hates money and it shows with their DC properties.

I don't know why @darthkostis posts got taken down as I've said worst stuff in other threads. Maybe I missed a post or two.
said. NECA is still making Myers merch, meanwhile the Punisher is on a total ban and Red Hood can't get his pistols. It's just a weird situation.

I find it weird why WB decided to implement this policy in the first place.

Dunno about the post, it was that single one with the Deathstroke page.

This entire conversation got dumb real fast, but for the record, no, the Punisher has not been removed from comics or screens. He still appears in the comics and the only reason he's not "onscreen" anymore is because all the Netflix Marvel shows were cancelled several years ago now.

This entire conversation got dumb real fast, but for the record, no, the Punisher has not been removed from comics or screens. He still appears in the comics and the only reason he's not "onscreen" anymore is because all the Netflix Marvel shows were cancelled several years ago now.
He hasn't been in a comic since Ennis' Punisher: Soviet. His mini Punisher: Miami was cancelled even after it was solicitated and the follow up Ennis mini with Punisher & Fury was shelved. He doesn't appear in cameos or supporting roles these days.

He hasn't been in a comic since Ennis' Punisher: Soviet.
Not true. He was just recently in Kurt Busiek's the Marvels in May of this year, complete with a shot on the cover.

APR200922.jpg

This is literally the first page.

3RjFPJf_QIz5LhndeA0pH_tD7I2sFfx7Vy1zlXpx0OV7ntAqf9ARkaE9aHUkJKoBOhrESha43FB3QV638TDmvrwp4LxX281HuR5CLrXBfxK7z6cwrwr1KGIPBamSb9XtKZQ4vuaeTQ=s1600

And then in June he was in the Heroes Reborn: Squadron Savage one-shot. The second Ennis project may have been shelved (a LOT of Marvel books were shelved during lockdown, some of which have still yet to come out), but he has not been removed from the comics altogether, and the implication that it somehow led to his show also being taken off the air was also incorrect since the timeline doesn't add up and ALL the Marvel Netflix projects were cancelled.

Beyond that, Marvel does not generally enforce the same gun ban in merchandise that DC seems to be (though like I mentioned earlier, there do seem to be some cases where they're replaced with sci-fi/fantasy guns). So claiming they got rid of the Punisher due to gun violence concerns seems like a stretch.

Last edited:
Not true. He was just recently in Kurt Busiek's the Marvels in May of this year, complete with a shot on the cover.

APR200922.jpg

This is literally the first page.

3RjFPJf_QIz5LhndeA0pH_tD7I2sFfx7Vy1zlXpx0OV7ntAqf9ARkaE9aHUkJKoBOhrESha43FB3QV638TDmvrwp4LxX281HuR5CLrXBfxK7z6cwrwr1KGIPBamSb9XtKZQ4vuaeTQ=s1600

And then in June he was in the Heroes Reborn: Squadron Savage one-shot. The second Ennis project may have been shelved (a LOT of Marvel books were shelved during lockdown, some of which have still yet to come out), but he has not been removed from the comics altogether, and the implication that it somehow led to his show also being taken off the air was also incorrect since the timeline doesn't add up and ALL the Marvel Netflix projects were cancelled.

Beyond that, Marvel does not generally enforce the same gun ban in merchandise that DC seems to be (though like I mentioned earlier, there do seem to be some cases where they're replaced with sci-fi/fantasy guns). So claiming they got rid of the Punisher due to gun violence concerns seems like a stretch.
Yeah okay, fair point, you got me there. He was still absent for about a year from pretty much everything and he didn't have the skull in the Heroes Reborn tie-in. I never implied the show had anything to do with that, all I talked about were the comics and merchandise. The show was canned in 2019 or whatever, I didn't even watch the second season. But the Punisher was shelved close to the Floyd incident. Even Conway took to twitter: Punisher Creator Gerry Conway Looks to Reclaim Punisher Skull Logo & Punisher Creator Gerry Conway Speaks Out Against QAnon Appropriation Of Punisher Logo

I can't recall anything else from the solicits not bouncing back one way or another, aside from Punisher and that awful New Warriors mini. Stuff like Children Of The Atom were eventually released. One of the most high profile comic book characters going for the first time on a total hiatus with not even a mini to his name is something of note.

They didn't get rid of him due to gun violence, they shelved for a bit because cops like the character, sometimes add the skull on their cars and whatever, and it was seen as controversial. Remember how they retired "Cops" and "Live PD"? Same thing. I'm not working at Marvel, I'm not even making political commentary or whatever else. The facts are that for about a year he was nowhere to be seen and was retired closely to a big, real world event.

WB's gun thing is entirely their own. But I find it weird how in the modern day we can have movies and toys about serial killers, yet some antiheroes can't get guns on their action figures. If you're concerned, retire the character completely. I can at least "respect" shelving the Punisher for a bit, if those are your beliefs. But to release a movie about psychos who shoot guns (SKWAD) then refuse to give the dollies guns just comes off as cheap to me.

Last edited:

Yeah, but none of that has anything to do with WB’s decision not to include guns in their marketing.
I don’t think they had a single thought about Myers or the Punisher one way or the other when they made that decision.
Do you have information that suggests otherwise?

Yeah, but none of that has anything to do with WB’s decision not to include guns in their marketing.
I don’t think they had a single thought about Myers or the Punisher one way or the other when they made that decision.
Do you have information that suggests otherwise?
darthkostis was pointing out that killing on screen/comics is the same no matter the method. I was defending his point about how ridiculous it is for WB to have swords instead of guns for their figures. Doesn't change the act of violence.

Back