1/6 Indy Customizations: Image Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whip.jpg

Another endorsement of the Joe Strain whip. For those on the fence I don't think you will regret picking one of these up, IMO.

Dragon in Dreams has a new Afrika Korps officer coming out, which is always interesting with reference to ROTLA.

While not exactly a match for Dietrich or Gobler in uniform, I think there's something of an Indy influence since the sculpt looks like Michael Byrne's Vogel from TLC:

175636py25f7qzl25kk5ii.jpeg
175637wgkdqaka75gf0m5q.jpeg
175223fw5pczw5335bbk0g.jpeg

3.jpg

Last edited:
Would like to seek some advice from everyone here... I live in a humid and warm climate, and as such it's no surprise that my HT Indy jacket flaked off some time ago. That said, I was surprised to find that his boots were flaking and tearing too. As the boots are the main highlight and super hard to replicate - I was wondering if anyone has suggestions to salvage it? Or in the worse case - know someone who makes replacements for it or is selling replacements?

I've had issues with the HT boots flaking or cracking as well.

If you can paint, Creg Customs/Dean Tolliver still sells his boots. Kind of pricy considering they're unpainted and they run a little larger than the Hot Toys boots: 1/6 Indy Boots

And then of course, DoggieDoc is preparing a run of his boots soon on the custom site. Those will be painted and have real laces. I think he said he was targeting ~$100 for the boots per pair. Planning to get a couple of those.

I've had issues with the HT boots flaking or cracking as well.

If you can paint, Creg Customs/Dean Tolliver still sells his boots. Kind of pricy considering they're unpainted and they run a little larger than the Hot Toys boots: 1/6 Indy Boots

And then of course, DoggieDoc is preparing a run of his boots soon on the custom site. Those will be painted and have real laces. I think he said he was targeting ~$100 for the boots per pair. Planning to get a couple of those.
Thanks for the advice TONTON! greatly appreciate it! Was absolutely devastated when I started seeing those dreadful cracks and tears appear!

I'd definitely stock up on some of the Doggie Doc boots. Can't count on the HT boots holding up any more.
I think I'd purchase the Creg ones to tide me through, while I wait for the DoggieDoc's release...

In the meantime I found some videos of people layering paint (Acrylic Finisher - Matte) over pleather to kinda seal if off and prevent further cracks. I think I might try that in the meantime as a quick fix for the moment.

You might hold out a bit to see what Present Toys delivers with their Raiders figure when those get parted out.

Something I either forgot, or never noticed before, was that none of the Germans in ROTLA had the Afrika Korps cuff title.

raiders-lost-ark-movie-screencaps.com-6836.jpg

raiders-lost-ark-movie-screencaps.com-6530.jpg

They truly were a proto-Afrika Korps, as I don't think the palm tree symbol appeared on their vehicles either. Not until 1938 in The Last Crusade.

The “Afrikakorps” cuff title became an official award from the 18th July 1941 (Prior to this date the various locally made black unofficial Afrikakorps cuff titles had been worn by some German soldiers from all branches of the Wehrmacht) Criteria for the award was a minimum of two months service in North Africa, before the award could be worn on the tropical blouse, or woollen greatcoat. However, many German soldiers decided to keep their titles as souvenirs and many of these titles were taken from German POW’s by allied soldiers throughout the Desert Campaign and in Tunisia.

The "Afrikakorps" cuff title was to be worn approximately 15cm from the bottom of the lower right sleeve on the tropical field blouse and the woollen tropical greatcoat. The wearing of the cuff title was permitted when wearing the field-grey tunic on leave in Europe, and on the tropical uniform in the summer months when on leave in Europe.

With the introduction of the "Afrika" campaign title on January 15th 1943 the“Afrikakorps” cuff title was ordered to be removed, but this order was probably ignored in the frontline by some soldiers, as the official Afrika title was slow to be awarded and it is doubtful that any actual titles made it to Tunisia before the surrender in May 1943.

https://www.militariacollectors.network/forums/topic/2572-the-afrikakorps-cuff-title/

The only way to think of the Indy movies is that they take place on a parallel world, where history is a little askew compared to our own. A world where uniforms, weapons and equipment not produced until 1938-1940 became available in 1936, and rifle rounds could be magically loaded into machine pistols - which is actually the worst and most inexplicable transgression for me. :lol

Colonel Dietrich's special tropical unit was surprisingly not SS considering Himmler's interest in the occult and things pseudo-scientific. If only Lucas and Spielberg had done a little more digging in the right places themselves. :wink1:

Himmler created the Ahnenerbe organisation within the SS in 1935, which conducted research and archaeological expeditions across the world.

In ROTLA the Nazi party was only really represented by Toht and his Gestapo cohorts.

By 1938, when The Last Crusade showed the Afrika Korps palm tree on the back of a truck, the series had gone full comic book pulp Nazi.

indiana-jones-last-crusade-movie-screencaps.com-6560.jpg

Colonel Vogel, a legitimate Nazi of the 1st Leibstandarte SS Adolf Hitler, commanded regular Heer troops (i.e., non-SS), but they all got Party armbands, as was common for the covers of comic books and pulp magazines.

indiana-jones-last-crusade-movie-screencaps.com-10811.jpg

One tiny grace is that the armbands worn by the Heer troops don't have the the SS black bands, which are evident on Vogel's.

While the Afrika Korps palm tree showed up, Lucas showed a little nod to real history again since the cuff titles were still absent:

indiana-jones-last-crusade-movie-screencaps.com-10102.jpg

(And at least these guys had rifle ammo pouches for rifles!)

Attachments

• The Last Crusade.jpg
    The Last Crusade.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 29
  • raiders-lost-ark-movie-screencaps.com-5930.jpg
    raiders-lost-ark-movie-screencaps.com-5930.jpg
    295 KB · Views: 62
  • The Last Crusade.jpg
    The Last Crusade.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Here's the full reveal of DiD's 'Michael Byrne' Afrika Korps figure:

163919e66ofsep774ejt47.jpg

The M1940 tropical boots, MP40 machine pistol, P38 and P38 holster obviously push him beyond ROTLA's 1936. Let alone the Afrika Korps not being formed until January 1941. lol

Thanks for sharing this, Asta. The complete figure set, in itself, is amazing. I'll definitely try to find the body/head sculpt loose, once available.

I agree with Ton and Universal, just give it another shot. I emailed him a couple weeks ago, and just received my whip yesterday. If it helps, all of our correspondence took place after 10pm central time. Maybe he's a night owl.😉

Back