1/6 INART (Queen Studio) - LOTR Figures Wishlist

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The average Hot Toys production run is probably nowhere near 15,000. Probably not even half that.

I always assumed Hot Toys runs were about 5,000 per figure, which is much higher than every other company does.

InArt maybe does half of that.
That’s where I’d place HT’s production numbers.
There really aren’t as many adult toy collectors out there as we might like to think.

Nanjin from Exo-6 mentioned on his facebook recently that Hot Toys quantities were in the 5 digit range. Not sure how accurate that is, but he's in the industry, so I'm guessing it's close.

And, much as it pains me to say it, there are even fewer LOTR collectors. We are loyal, but there aren't nearly as many of us as there are Star Wars or Marvel or DC collectors. Asmus generally aims for runs of 1,500 and sometimes they don't even reach that plateau. And those figures are half the price. I would be surprised if there's a market for INART to sell more than 1,000 or 1,500.

Don't get me wrong, I WANT there to be a market for these figures. I really want them to succeed. The more LOTR collectibles the better, I say. But I just wonder if there's a large enough customer base at this price point.

That John guy has said a couple of times in streams the numbers they’re estimating for each figure. I wish I could remember all the numbers, but Joker and Battinson were quite high, Gandalf mid, and Pennywise low. I know he said Pennywise is 1,000 total and if I’m remembering correctly Gandalf was something like 5,000. They’re quite open about the numbers, if anyone cares to go back and find where he talks about it in interviews.

Nanjin from Exo-6 mentioned on his facebook recently that Hot Toys quantities were in the 5 digit range. Not sure how accurate that is, but he's in the industry, so I'm guessing it's close.

There's no way Hot Toys is at those numbers.

I always use historical numbers for reference. Sideshow made 10,000 of their Bespin Han Solo, and that was when figures were $65. It's not believable to think that Hot Toys is now selling 15,000 pieces at $265.

These are luxury goods, their demand is elastic, meaning when price goes up, demand goes down. I don't think Hot Toys has figured out the magic formula to defy the laws of economics.

I always use historical numbers for reference. Sideshow made 10,000 of their Bespin Han Solo, and that was when figures were $65. It's not believable to think that Hot Toys is now selling 15,000 pieces at $265.

These are luxury goods, their demand is elastic, meaning when price goes up, demand goes down. I don't think Hot Toys has figured out the magic formula to defy the laws of economics.

There's still 217 Endgame Thanos figures for sale on Popcultcha. That's just one Australian company holding hundreds of units and probably sold at least that number already.

I can believe that for major releases like Endgame Cap it could hit 10,000 units given you've got a lot of collectors in the Asia and US markets.

There’s no way they’re making 15,000 of these. That’s Hot Toys numbers. If they make 1000 it’ll be a miracle. If they’re making these in batches, the numbers are more like 50 (100 if we’re lucky) at a time. These are just too damn expensive for the average collector, so unless there are 15 thousand super rich people out there looking at action figures, that number just isn’t happening.
From what I've heard, there were about 15 000 preorders for the InArt Heath Ledger Joker, 5000 for Gandalf, and around 1500 for Pennywise.

Heath Leger is one of the most beloved characters, which is why so many people preordered. I know many local collectors who preordered when they don't even collect DC. DX11 is outdated and overpriced and collectors were waiting for the new Heath Leger Joker for many years.

Some Iron Man figures from Hot Toys, such as Infinity War Iron Man, were produced in tens of thousands.

Last edited:

From my own observations (which could be inaccurate) the 1/6 market has grown substantially in numbers since Sideshow’s heyday of 1/6 Star Wars. My guess is that if Sideshow was making 10,000 Bespin Han’s then Hot Toys would be making more than that for figures that are as popular as Bespin Han.

From my own observations (which could be inaccurate) the 1/6 market has grown substantially in numbers since Sideshow’s heyday of 1/6 Star Wars. My guess is that if Sideshow was making 10,000 Bespin Han’s then Hot Toys would be making more than that for figures that are as popular as Bespin Han.
But you can't really compare the production numbers of a $65 dollar figure and a $265 dollar figure. The cheaper the figure, the higher the production runs will be. The production runs on 6 inch figures may easily run into six digits, because they are $20 and more people can afford them.

Only a fraction of the 10,000 people who could (and would be wiling to) afford a $65 dollar figure would pay $265 for one.

If the market had grown substantially, they would be selling 15,000 pieces at $85, not 15,000 at $500.

The price increases in this hobby indicate that the demand quantity is decreasing, not increasing.

EDIT: quantity is decreasing, not demand

Last edited:
This is not even remotely how it works, lol

That was a typo. Supply is decreasing, not demand. I would still argue that demand is decreasing, hence the decreasing supply.

We're talking about the units produced in the market. People seem to be arguing that supply is going up and demand is going up, more collectors now than 10 years ago, and production runs higher than they were 10 years ago. If that were the case, prices should remain relatively stable.

You get price increases when demand is greater than supply, you get a decrease in price when supply is greater than demand. These are luxury goods, when the price goes up, demand goes down. If demand is down, and price goes up, then supply has to go down to reach equilibrium. Otherwise if demand was down and supply was up, you'd have a decrease in price.

If someone wants to have a discussion about it, I'm all for it.

Back