1/6 Hot Toys - What If...? - The Hydra Stomper and Steve Rogers Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I keep forgetting that these threads are virtually nothing but people complaining these days.

I love that HT is doing these stylized figures. I think this looks great.

And people constantly complaining about the prices of these figures may need to start looking for a new hobby. The cost of supplies and goods has been increasing across the board. This is the new reality of things.
Or it's just possible that people have different opinions on the relative worth of figures. I think it's cool that HT is attempting stuff like this, but that doesn't change my view that the price is laughable. It has only 8 points of articulation, there's nothing particularly special about the paint applications or its mechanical and light-up features and yet they've priced it above any Iron Man or War Machine figure they've ever produced (save for the Hulkbuster). IMO that's mind boggling. I recognize it's all new tooling for them, but when the animation style makes it look closer to a $48 figure you'd find in Target rather than a $480 Iron Man, maybe they should have a bit of flexibility built into their profit margin formula.

This guy is supposed to be 56cm's tall? That would be taller than Hulkbuster. Just based off this picture, there's no way he's taller.

Looks cool, but $625 is too rich for my blood for such a simplistic design and engineering.
1632230702132.png

Wow, that's mighty impressive. Definitely interested, but I haven't finally decided if I will buy this. I'm not in a hurry - won't place a preorder within the next 12 months for a 2023 release anyway.

But right now, I definitely tend to add this bad boy to my collection!

This looks cools as hell, but not something for me.. I still haven't even watched any of the What If? episodes on D+. This was one of the few episodes I actually had any interest in.

The Hyrda Stomper is a power Pose figure. Anybody that's into HT Iron Man figures should know what that is. A limited articulation piece. If this was a fully articulated piece, imagine what the price would be.

Also, not sure why people are shocked/complaining about the price. To me, all these HT figures are overpriced. :lol

But the last Power Pose figure was Hulkbuster 2 from Infinity War. That thing was $430, also not Diecast, smaller (19.96" vs 22"), even less articulation (6pts vs 8pts), and had way less intricate details. And also didn't have the ability to put a Banner figure in it.

And the Diecast argument still needs to stop. Diecast adds nothing but heft (sometimes warranted in joint use) and perceived value. Plastic offers more fine detail. Diecast really does not cost more than plastic.

I'm honestly surprised they decided to go ahead with releasing these "What If...?" figures. The Captain Carter pre-orders can't be that hot and at the price of this thing it'll be even less. $625 is a lot of money to spend on a figure that appeared one time in one short episode of a show that isn't exactly canon. (I know I know it's an alternate universe within the MCU but c'mon that's just a mechanism for retelling the same stories in alternate ways).

Man, I keep forgetting that these threads are virtually nothing but people complaining these days.

I love that HT is doing these stylized figures. I think this looks great.

And people constantly complaining about the prices of these figures may need to start looking for a new hobby. The cost of supplies and goods has been increasing across the board. This is the new reality of things.

This. Guaranteed the same whiners will be back on here two years from now when it's sold out and tripled in value complaining that they never picked it up.

Or it's just possible that people have different opinions on the relative worth of figures. I think it's cool that HT is attempting stuff like this, but that doesn't change my view that the price is laughable. It has only 8 points of articulation, there's nothing particularly special about the paint applications or its mechanical and light-up features and yet they've priced it above any Iron Man or War Machine figure they've ever produced (save for the Hulkbuster). IMO that's mind boggling. I recognize it's all new tooling for them, but when the animation style makes it look closer to a $48 figure you'd find in Target rather than a $480 Iron Man, maybe they should have a bit of flexibility built into their profit margin formula.
100% agree. You mentioned the Hulkbuster and even though that thing was $1200, I look at it and say "That's worth the money". I think this Hydrabuster is a cute toy but if you showed me that picture I'd think it was a $25-50 Hasbro figure. It's sort of the same price gouge as the Infinity War Hulkbuster power pose...

If folks are interested in just the aesthetic mech look the Threezero Power Armor figures from the Fallout videogame are excellent alternatives. They cost around $400 but are well worth it. Amazing engineering and weathering.

Threezero figures are a great value. The Optimus Prime Bumblebee premium scale figure is roughly the same size as this, but much more detail, articulation, and paint apps for around the same price.

Few people will buy this.... price will eventually soar.... people will regret not buying...

I don't know why? Do people usually buy something 2 years out to ultimately flip so they can make $100 or so? Their hourly sucks.

Few people will buy this.... price will eventually soar.... people will regret not buying...

I don't know why? Do people usually buy something 2 years out to ultimately flip so they can make $100 or so? Their hourly sucks.
Unless Captain Carter and Hydra Stomper Steve were to become an ongoing animated series spin-off, I can't imagine why someone would regret passing on this down the road. It's cool and they did a great job, but this is a niche within a niche within a niche.

I was gonna say the same thing. Few will order it meaning a short run. I'm kinda shocked they actually went through with it... But regretting it is a bit much unless this armor happens to have a part in a movie, not that I'd ever want that to happen. Even if it does become a recurring thing in the show, it's still not enough for this to ever be something worth buying... If people are only in this hobby to own the ones that skyrocket in price AFTER they sell out, i'd say they're in the hobby for the wrong reasons.

I love the show so far, but I don't think I'll ever want any figure they release from "what if" ... Unless they finally decide to release the Ultron Sentry.

Last edited:
I keep looking at the measurements provided for this figure - 22 inches tall. A full inch taller than Hulkbuster. Maybe $480 isn't bad for something that size even if it's power pose. But looking at the picture of Steve (11 inches) in front of the Hydra Stomper and the Mark 43 (12.5 inches) in front of Hulkbuster, it's clear that something is off.

Presentation3 (2).jpg
Presentation4 (2).jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks very cool, but Power Pose? They just did that with King Shark too. :unsure:

Not impressed by the limited options that result.

Threezero figures are a great value. The Optimus Prime Bumblebee premium scale figure is roughly the same size as this, but much more detail, articulation, and paint apps for around the same price.
Threezero is unmatched when it comes to their robot figures. Those have actual impressive design and engineering, unlike Hot Toys figures.

Even their 1/6 scale human heads are getting up there with what Hot Toys produces. The most recent Walking Dead offerings look very good, AND they're under 200 bucks. I wouldn't be surprised if they start getting more popular licenses a few years down the road.

Back