1/6 Hot Toys -TMS 092 - Obi-Wan Kenobi series: 501st Legion Clone Trooper (Version 2.0)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The insistence that the CGI/animated armor is not possible to wear is odd. People have been doing it for years (to varying degrees of success but it can definitely look good).

I think it could’ve been modified slightly to make it more comfortable and safe for stunt performers without changing the appearance too much.

View attachment 609743View attachment 609755

There are purely aesthetic design changes made to the OWK armor that don’t seem to affect wearability or function. I don’t think those look great and doesn’t mesh well with continuity. It’s not bad in the quick shots on screen, but the side by side comparisons really don’t help it.

The codpiece is probably the only change that really significantly affects mobility. Although they could’ve done better because the shape is kind of ugly.

View attachment 609750

Those are some beautiful cosplays, for sure, Wow.

I think my big problem with these changes is that the codpiece is now even bigger and bulkier. Its squared at the bottom now, which seems like it would definitely chafe when walking....? idk. I dont really mind the pieces passing over the groin being greatly reduced, but this new design seems more intrusive as one tries to move around. The more pointed design flows with the body better, at least to my eye.

Those are some beautiful cosplays, for sure, Wow.

I think my big problem with these changes is that the codpiece is now even bigger and bulkier. Its squared at the bottom now, which seems like it would definitely chafe when walking....? idk. I dont really mind the pieces passing over the groin being greatly reduced, but this new design seems more intrusive as one tries to move around. The more pointed design flows with the body better, at least to my eye.

Yeah it's a really weird design. They could've just retained the original design but removed or separated the part the wraps around the hips to make it more practical.

The OWK version is like an unsightly dustpan just sitting there.

I wonder what made the HT R&D crew redo the design of the DC-15 carbine? From the looks of in the behind-the-scenes footage, it's the same design as we saw in the prequels. The front grip shouldn't be removed. Odd. A waste of money!

I wonder what made the HT R&D crew redo the design of the DC-15 carbine? From the looks of in the behind-the-scenes footage, it's the same design as we saw in the prequels. The front grip shouldn't be removed. Odd. A waste of money!
They seem to have re-designed both the DC15A rifle and DC15S carbine. Neither match what was seen in Kenobi. I have to wonder if the weapons are placeholders or maybe they are based on props/concept art that ended up not being on screen. I like the unique designs but they seem to be incorrect to Kenobi so need to be updated.

Late to the party here but when they first showed the 501st troopers in Kenobi, I had a rush of nostalgia when I saw the blue they chose, and I couldn’t put my finger on it until they put this guy up for sale. It’s definitely the same blue Master Replicas used for their 501st Helmet replica from the mid 2000’s. I haven’t dug into it enough as far as accuracy to ROTS goes, but as a Master Replicas fan this is a serious blast from the past and probably why all the blue Clone Wars 501st stuff from HT has felt a little cold to me.

Anyway, I dig the seams and clunkiness of this guy compared to the sleek CGI suit, but would probably despise this release if I had been collecting the prior CW HT stuff.

Attachments

• C5241A44-3B56-4A54-9B68-567D54F2048F.jpeg
    C5241A44-3B56-4A54-9B68-567D54F2048F.jpeg
    712.4 KB · Views: 0
Yup the HT is big wrong.

As cool as watching them discuss the details of how they approached the live action suit is, it doesn't make me like the weird crotch plate, lack of detail in the lower abdomen, or many split sections in the design.

Those are great features for making something more wearable, but aren't improvements in aesthetic imo.

I've known of Ace for a long time and they do good work, but it's kind of insane they outsourced the entire design and construction to a cosplayer.

They've been turning to fans for a while like the Mandalorian Stormtroopers and Scouts, but it sounds like reigns were given over fully. Not to disparage their work but that's a lot of control just given away.

I think there should've been more oversight to make sure the suit would be more film accurate. The lack of chest armor hash marks is a glaring omission, the seams and clamshell design don't seem necessary and could've been at least designed cleaner, and the codpiece is just not great.

Makes it feel like this was low priority. And these Clones have only appeared very, very briefly in the shows so I guess it probably was. But still. They had the chance to make wearable Clone armor that's as close to screen accurate as possible and they went... a different way I guess.

I think I found the source of the weird blasters. They are the ones used by the Imperial era clones in Andor (Andor filmed before Kenobi so HT obviously had the Andor clone and weapons well into development before Kenobi was made and obviously the props they had access to were the Andor ones). Kenobi had more ROTS accurate weapons made for the show.

Andor-Clones-on-Ferrix.jpg

So, the weird rifle and carbine are Imperial era DC15A/S's

I happened to see it yesterday and it had the “low stock” warning on SS page.

Saw the warning yesterday too. They probably didn’t make that many but I’m guessing the tepid response kept them around till now. And people probably jumped on it after the AOTC Clones.

I’m not fond of the live action suit so I didn’t order any. Others probably also had mixed feelings, including both the suit design aesthetics and not matching other Clone figures.

Many seem to be eager to move on to other battalions already as well.

I think there's a chance these come back for preorder sometime this week. Why is it that a lot of these figures "sell out" over the weekend, and they show back up the following week? Games by SS? Who knows, though.

Are there other stores with these still up for preorder in NA?

I think there's a chance these come back for preorder sometime this week. Why is it that a lot of these figures "sell out" over the weekend, and they show back up the following week? Games by SS? Who knows, though.

I don't think that's been the case, at least with the Star Wars line. Figures that have gone to waitlist have largely stayed on waitlist. The only real fluctuation has been occasionally switching between the waitlist being closed or open, which may just be based on cancellations.

I don't believe they're playing games based on what I've heard, though I wouldn't think they were either way. It's not good for business to do that. The current crop of figures are being ordered and produced in smaller numbers as a result of the overproduction of the last couple of years.

This will not go back up at Sideshow unless there are mass cancellations or something. I don't think they're making that many, and it was only lack of interest that kept preorders open this long. People probably started jumping on it recently due to lack of AOTC Clone availability.

Are there other stores with these still up for preorder in NA?

I'll PM you.

Back