1/6 Hot Toys - Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse - Spider Man 2099 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah real head scratcher this one and no one to explain what the deal is. Maybe in the movie he’s from an action figure universe. In that regard maybe it makes sense, but from a HT form factor, it still doesn’t.

View attachment 641202
View attachment 641203
could just be recency bias but this might be the most frustrated i’ve ever been by one of hot toys decisions.

it was so close to perfect, all it needs is a printed fabric suit to hide the seams. why go through all the trouble making the new proportions / accessories and stop there.

sure, if this was a 1/12 figure it looks great. but for 1/6 scale and to match the entire rest of their product line, it’s just not passable.
Just compare how this looks to Miles, which actually looks like a higher end figure with a nice seamless fabric suit.

I'm with you on this being one of the most frustrating things I've seen Hot Toys do. Mainly because everything else about the figure is perfect. Great sculpt, cool web slinging effects/webs. Even the damn body itself is perfect but JUST PUT A DAMN FABRIC SUIT OVER IT.
:gah:

ZTpwG4l.png

Just saw the SH Figuarts one. This is basically it, just bigger.
Maybe a third party company will do a proper clothed one.

I went on Sideshow to see what they're charging for this thing and was pleasantly surprised when I saw $130....before realizing that I had completely mistaken the Figuarts figure for this one, and that it's actually $250. Oof.
It is not a good sign when I am mistaking a 7" figure that's half the price for the same thing. If this thing were $100+ cheaper I might consider it, but at this price, no thanks. Better luck next time, maybe the Beyond the Spider-verse version will be better. Until then, my game version is far superior already.
I wonder if any third parties might do an unofficial version of Miguel, I'd be interested to see what they could do with it since HT's version is a bit of a dud.

The figuarts one looks better, although bandai is getting a bit big in the britches again if they want $130 for it. I'd bite $90 or less

9afb2805-ccd8-420e-8693-f496bba10dc9.jpg

So... is there any movie narrative reason why we have a painted visible joints body 2099?

Have not seen the movie yet but there's got to be a reason for that right? Right?

Is it just me or does it seem like “the only way to have a suit that doesn’t crease is to not have a suit at all” is a huge copout?

I’m just thinking about the insane amount of fabric types and thinking that hot toys goes out of their way to reinvent the wheel and come up with these odd stiff fabrics that don’t hold up.

Literally some type of Nylon/spandex would do just fine. I have an old (and I mean old) Brandon Routh Superman (told you) from DC direct and that suit is the exact same as the day I purchased it. Granted he isn’t in a crazy pose or anything, and I’m sure stretching even a material like spandex could cause it to sag eventually but even so, it has to be more resilient than the fabrics they choose to use- and there’s probably even more stretchy and durable fabrics that I just plain don’t know about. In the end, it just seems crazy to me that Hot Toys can’t figure out how to make Spider-mans that don’t crease and wrinkle when the dude is literally wearing the solution.

I’ll get this if I can.

I know it’s maybe a little Mondo like, but as long as it’s quality material, and can do some sick poses, I’ll want it.

I can’t say if a fabric suit would have been better or not, this might be the best way to pose it

So... is there any movie narrative reason why we have a painted visible joints body 2099?

Have not seen the movie yet but there's got to be a reason for that right? Right?
I would gather that having to create another body and an outfit would cut into their profits. Painting the suit is cheaper than having to manufacture one and putting it over a new body.

I'll never understand HT decision with this figure, all I know is that unlicensed companies will have a field day with 2099. Can't wait to see it!

Back