1/6 Hot Toys - MMS627 - The Dark Knight Trilogy - Catwoman Collectible Figure (Reissue)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I do love the TDK Trilogy, my main gripe with Batman/Bruce Wayne is how he doesn't take either Joker or Bane as actual serious threats until it's almost too late. IMO, Batman, who is just about ALWAYS the smartest man in the room with a plan for everything wouldn't do that.

Joker: "One man or the entire mob? He can wait." This about a guy who literally stole from the entire mob and got away with it, but Batman think he's no big deal.

Bane: " Ras al Ghul was the league of shadows and I beat him, Bane is JUST a mercenary" This about a guy who took out ppl right and left at the stock exchange and organized a plan to rid Bruce Wayne of his fortune in ONE night. But he's just a mercenary.

Where as, he took Ras very serious in Batman Begins and I would even say the slight possibility of Joker being a threat serious at the very end of Begins with taking the card and telling Gordon "I'll look into it," instead of the alternate scenario of giving the card back to Gordon saying "nah, he can wait."
His hubris in the face of Bane was an intentional flaw in the character at that point that we were supposed to pick up on. He wasn’t himself and that was the point. He saw a reason to feel needed by the city again and was acting rashly.

With Joker, it’s not a flaw but dramatic irony. We know joker is his arch nemesis, but he doesn’t. Having him take it too seriously would be odd, he doesn’t have any reason yet to think Joker is much more than a petty criminal.

Nolan’s Batman started by fighting the kind of white collar crime that exists in our universe with an intention to take down systemic forces keeping Gotham down.

From his flashback in Begins “The first time I stole so that I wouldn’t starve, yes. I lost many assumptions about the simple nature of right and wrong. And when I traveled, I learned the fear before a crime and the thrill of success. But I never became one of them.”

This Batman never intended to stop petty crime and save grannies crossing the street. He was about making lasting change in Gotham. Until the events of TDK he had no evidence to suggest Joker was a part of that problem.

His hubris in the face of Bane was an intentional flaw in the character at that point that we were supposed to pick up on. He wasn’t himself and that was the point. He saw a reason to feel needed by the city again and was acting rashly.

With Joker, it’s not a flaw but dramatic irony. We know joker is his arch nemesis, but he doesn’t. Having him take it too seriously would be odd, he doesn’t have any reason yet to think Joker is much more than a petty criminal.

Nolan’s Batman started by fighting the kind of white collar crime that exists in our universe with an intention to take down systemic forces keeping Gotham down.

From his flashback in Begins “The first time I stole so that I wouldn’t starve, yes. I lost many assumptions about the simple nature of right and wrong. And when I traveled, I learned the fear before a crime and the thrill of success. But I never became one of them.”

This Batman never intended to stop petty crime and save grannies crossing the street. He was about making lasting change in Gotham. Until the events of TDK he had no evidence to suggest Joker was a part of that problem.
I mean no offense by this, but I already understand the intent behind the reasons, though I appreciate your explanation. My whole point is, I don't feel like Batman in any universe would act that way and I don't like it. That's not saying that I don't understand what they were going for. I just think it's not something Batman would ever do or say. His hubris was too intentional just to drive the story they were trying to tell, which to me, doesn't work right for Batman. Is Batman usually over confident? Yes, but that's b/c he IS the smartest guy in the room in most iterations of the character. But in the Nolan movies he isn't, he just THINKS he is.

And if this Batman wasn't meant to stop petty crime, why show a guy about to do what looked like a very low level, small time "petty" drug deal until he sees the bat signal and gets scared off in TDK?

And are we equating Joker robbing banks and stealing from the mob as petty crime and saving grannies? B/c Joker did all that and Batman STILL didn't take him seriously yet. That's pretty high level stuff and Batman is like, nah no big deal. It's not until Joker tortures and hangs the fake Batman. To me, he takes Joker more seriously at the end of Begins than he does at the beginning of TDK.

My intent wasn't to start a debate as they tend to go nowhere with everyone thinking they're right, so I will not carry on after this post. My point was, I didn't like the way he handled those situations in the movie. Doesn't me I don't understand why the writers did it, I just don't like them.

I mean no offense by this, but I already understand the intent behind the reasons, though I appreciate your explanation. My whole point is, I don't feel like Batman in any universe would act that way and I don't like it. That's not saying that I don't understand what they were going for. I just think it's not something Batman would ever do or say. His hubris was too intentional just to drive the story they were trying to tell, which to me, doesn't work right for Batman. Is Batman usually over confident? Yes, but that's b/c he IS the smartest guy in the room in most iterations of the character. But in the Nolan movies he isn't, he just THINKS he is.

And if this Batman wasn't meant to stop petty crime, why show a guy about to do what looked like a very low level, small time "petty" drug deal until he sees the bat signal and gets scared off in TDK?

And are we equating Joker robbing banks and stealing from the mob as petty crime and saving grannies? B/c Joker did all that and Batman STILL didn't take him seriously yet. That's pretty high level stuff and Batman is like, nah no big deal. It's not until Joker tortures and hangs the fake Batman. To me, he takes Joker more seriously at the end of Begins than he does at the beginning of TDK.

My intent wasn't to start a debate as they tend to go nowhere with everyone thinking they're right, so I will not carry on after this post. My point was, I didn't like the way he handled those situations in the movie. Doesn't me I don't understand why the writers did it, I just don't like them.
I'm a big fan of the movies, but there is no denying that they don't portray Batman at all as the world's greatest detective by any stretch. I'm lucky in that I can leave my expectations at the door, so that flaw in the adaptation doesn't bother me.

From the comment you were replying to “Until the events of TDK he had no evidence to suggest Joker was a part of that problem.”

Bank robberies happen all the time and aren’t generally at the root of inequality and injustice. There’s no logical reason for him to let one criminal stop his takedown of the mob except that YOU know who Joker is. Dramatic irony.

Same with Bane. In the 20 minutes leading up to the fight with Bane Batman easily takes out multiple criminals that we ought to assume are top tier based on their affiliations. He even knocks a guy out through a motorcycle helmet. There’s no logical reason that he should believe he couldn’t take Bane in a fight except that WE know he doesn’t. He was acting immediately to stop Bane so it’s not like he was just sitting around doing nothing, all he did was underestimate Bane and Selina.

Things like this happen in the comics all the time but once Batman hits the silver screen some people expect him to be infallible.

I'm a big fan of the movies, but there is no denying that they don't portray Batman at all as the world's greatest detective by any stretch. I'm lucky in that I can leave my expectations at the door, so that flaw in the adaptation doesn't bother me.
Same. It doesn't take away my enjoyment while watching the movies. Every time I watch them, I walk away wanting to own all the TDK things :lol It's when I reflect on it that it irks me.

He’s the only Batman I’ve seen do the actual work of a detective for an entire movie.

From the comment you were replying to “Until the events of TDK he had no evidence to suggest Joker was a part of that problem.”

Bank robberies happen all the time and aren’t generally at the root of inequality and injustice. There’s no logical reason for him to let one criminal stop his takedown of the mob except that YOU know who Joker is. Dramatic irony.

Same with Bane. In the 20 minutes leading up to the fight with Bane Batman easily takes out multiple criminals that we ought to assume are top tier based on their affiliations. He even knocks a guy out through a motorcycle helmet. There’s no logical reason that he should believe he couldn’t take Bane in a fight except that WE know he doesn’t. He was acting immediately to stop Bane so it’s not like he was just sitting around doing nothing, all he did was underestimate Bane and Selina.

Things like this happen in the comics all the time but once Batman hits the silver screen some people expect him to be infallible.
Agree to disagree, and lets leave it at that shall we? As mentioned, I understand what the writers and movie is going for, doesn't mean I have to like it and no amount of someone's explanation is going to make me like it. Not liking how something was done and not understanding why it was done are different things. As I said previously, I don't like these back and forths so I won't carry on with it :peace

Last edited:
I just got back into 1/6. For once my timing was good with these reissues coming. 😁

TDKR is schlocky and clearly the weakest of the three. A lot of the scenes have aged poorly and the characters are cringe, especially Alfred.

Hot Toys sucks for not making Ra’s or Nurse Joker. Those would have been cooler and more exciting than this Selina Kyle reissue.

Always thought a Hot Toys League of Shadows two pack with Ninja Ducard and Bruce would be so cool. The swords, the etched gauntlets, the armor, it would be awesome. Damn shame they’re just doing reissues instead of making new stuff.

There's been a number of 3rd party companies that have released a decent version of Selina Kyle, Bane (in several iterations) and the same for the Joker. I'm curious as to how well Selina will sell.

As for the League of Shadows 2-pack, there actually is a third party version available of just that, which looks decent, as well.

My thoughts are that these other companies have filled in the blanks when HT had seemed to abandon the line, years ago. The quality is pretty down close to HT and the prices have been considerably less.

I liked the costumes for TDKR but the story was not helped with bruce wayne getting a robotic leg brace and then he is fine with physical combat after needing a cane, later he fixes a broken back by doing a bunch of sit ups.

Also the talia death scene is laughable.

I had to cancel my preorder of the original due to car repair costs. Now I got another chance at it but I don’t have any 1/6 dark knight figures anymore. I got my QS Batman and Joker and my faint hope that one day they’ll make more in that scale. I’ll pass for now. The only things that can draw me back to TDK in 1/6 would be an amazing new Bane, or Ra’s.

Back