1/6 Hot Toys- MMS- Lone Ranger

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lone ranger already cancelled, sad the prototype was really great though. I think Prometheus & RE6 are cancelled as well

OK, so the news isn't as bad as feared, but probably still a long shot...

Motuxmen said:
Ok so I heard back...the line has not been canceled. Officially. The Lone Ranger is still a figure that COULD get made. But not right away they are thinking. Tonto was one of the worst selling figures ever for hot toys. So getting orders for the LR from retailers would be an issue right now. They are putting feelers out to see what the reception would Be. Hot toys does watch forums as well. Have a few people on payroll just for that.

Might be worth cranking up that e-petition/crowdfunding campaign after all!

Of course it is cancelled. Look at the folks over in the DC forum still waiting on their DX 15 Batman.

They got theirs, hopefully we'll (eventually) get ours.

Last edited:
They watch but it's much more complicated then just positive posts. sales drive everything. And early PO sales are the largest factor. And then discounted sales after.

A e petiotion or crowd fund wouldn't amount to anything. Right now time is the only thing that will help. Distance from the tonto release. Retailers are not going to want to pay (and the way hot toys distrubution works the authorized retailers are obligated to pay for any figures they order no matter how they sell, so if BBTS PO from ssc 10 figures they have to pay for all ten at the normal rate no matter how it sells). So when a figure ends up with 40% off down the line (or whatever) the company is loosing money. So given the poor sales of tonto most would not order a LR at this point.

So right now it's in a holding pattern unless hot toys feels they can produce it at a low dollar cost. They have made the prototype already. They have the license. If they want to retain the license at some point they have to release something or the rights revert.

So yes theresxstill a chance. but it's not a large chance for anything right away.

Thanks Motuxmen. I guess we just have to wait till there's a lull in their releases and they need to fill a gap. Not gonna happen anytime soon with all the Marvel and Star Wars action!

Yea, that does appear to be the case. But it is less about the other properties and more about the tonto figure.

Despite popular opinion hot toys likes to explore other areas. Bttf, aliens, commando, predator, 300, rocky, Rambo, sleepy hallow, RE and many many more. But it's about sales. These figures are not cheap to make. Especially when you do it legally with licensing and likeness deals and customs and product (government) testing. So they can only afford to to take so many risks. And when a figure within a particular license under performs it's often more prudent to shift to another property and see how it performs. Then if interest appears to pick up or increase they can always return.

Wish I had better info. I honestly would love for every person to get every figure they want. Most of my comments are taken as things I want or how I want things to proceed....but it's not always the case. Often it's about how it does work or how companies and people I have experience with do things, and I try to share that info and put things into perspective so people don't get so excited then mad, or so upset about it. Doesn't work. Lol at least usually toward the person I talk. Never expect to change that persons mind. It's like a political debate. They are not trying to change the other candidates mind, but get their own point or info out. There is so much misinformation and opinion worded as fact that it's hard to know what the truth or even counter point is, when no one actually says it. I play Devils advocate on here a lot. Say the unpopular point. But I have a unique work history and point of view that most people don't. So I don't mind taking some crap if it helps anyone out.

That's cool, we appreciate your input. Don't think anyone is realistically expecting this will happen, but great if it does. Just a shame that they put the effort into a prototype and got our hopes up. Wonder if they can renegotiate the licensing terms with Disney since the movie flopped?

I realize profit is the bottom line, but it'd be great if they released it just to help break up the superhero/Star Wars monotony. In its favor, it'd be one of the simplest and cheapest figures to do.

Last edited:
I don't know why they don't just pull an Anjelica and make this guy one of three TF Exclusives. You throw the fans a bone, and, if it doesn't work out, you didn't take as much of a hit and you still have two other figures, from more successful franchises in DC and Marvel, to fall back on.

That's what we were hoping for last year. Maybe if they don't have too many other options they'll do it this year...

Motuxmen, does your contact have insight into the Toy Fairs Exclusive selection process?

Last edited:
I am unsure if they do or not. I'll ask them.

As for comparing Angelica to Lone Ranger...it's not really the same. Jack sparrow wasn't a top seller but sold alright. So an angelica figure was a risk, but not a massive risk. Tonto sold horribly. They didn't come right out and say it, but I get the impression it's the biggest flop they have done, at least in some people's at the company eyes. Though they do think a Lone Ranger figure would sell better...it's just not known how much and if that would be worth it.

I am unsure if they do or not. I'll ask them.

As for comparing Angelica to Lone Ranger...it's not really the same. Jack sparrow wasn't a top seller but sold alright. So an angelica figure was a risk, but not a massive risk. Tonto sold horribly. They didn't come right out and say it, but I get the impression it's the biggest flop they have done, at least in some people's at the company eyes. Though they do think a Lone Ranger figure would sell better...it's just not known how much and if that would be worth it.

I think it's a valuable lesson for these companies if they release toys solely based on the actors that portray them. Johnny Depp is huge but he's playing the SIDEKICK. Don't make the sidekick without the lead! They didn't release Robin before Batman... they released them at the same time. They're the Dynamic Duo.

As for Angelica, I have a reasonable reason to believe that they made her because she's Penelope Cruz. And she's kind of Jack's equal in the last Pirate movie. But still no main villain/ally from ALL FOUR Pirates movies (Barbossa).

Interesting they think the Ranger would sell better than Tonto. That gives some hope, but their whole release strategy suggests the opposite..

Getting back to the two-pack idea, this is one of the best examples of a pair being greater than the sum of its parts.

Thee release schedule isn't something hot toys has total control over. If a figures prototype is delayed or unapproved by the license and likeness holders (every figure has to be approved by the license holder, like disney or marvel or dc) and sometimes by multiple entities(with dc move that'sboth dc and WB, for xmen that's marvel, fox, and currently each actors reps or the actor themselves, for ripley it's the movie studio and weaver herself..) and if for some reason it's held up that means it could slip on the release schedule. And you don't let figures stack up in the warehouse so once it's ready and produced it goes out, usually.

With a figure like tonto they have a buck already for the body, and for depps head. One they can alter to make it so they don't start from scratch. Making him much quicker and easier to get approved and produced. So they could have easily had plans to release both at the same time or even LR before tonto but things can happen. Then after the tonto sales showed bad they could have just shelved LR. Just an exapmle of how things can happen

Now that you mention it I remember Howard saying in a Q&A they were held up by licensor approval, and missed the marketing window for the movie. They're probably relieved they dodged a (silver) bullet on the Ranger.

new.jpg

remember the Watchmen Line. They released the Comedian and Silk Spectre II. That was it. They did not sell well and the others were cancelled. It is just business. There is not enough interest in this line. I wish there were. I wanted a LR. Just not going to happen.

Back