1/6 Hot Toys MMS - Episode III ROTS Anakin Skywalker (Dark Side) Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The auction winner after getting into a heated irrational bidding war in the last 5 seconds:

View attachment 592403
Lol, this is my exact reaction after an impulse buying of toys, combined with anxiety of monthly bills, mortage, responsibilities.. 🤣🤣

Yet this is my feeling when that toys i have been yearning was sold out.. the conflict of collectors..
tumblr_mpc2wifGgN1rnvb0co1_400.gif

The auction winner after getting into a heated irrational bidding war in the last 5 seconds:

View attachment 592403
Been there. For years now, I wait until a few seconds before an auction ends and put in a bid that I won't have regret about. In the early days, I'd start a couple of minutes before auction end and would get totally caught up in it.

Been there. For years now, I wait until a few seconds before an auction ends and put in a bid that I won't have regret about. In the early days, I'd start a couple of minutes before auction end and would get totally caught up in it.

I don't buy much from eBay anymore but I always go in at the last minute. There's no point in putting in a bid otherwise unless you're trying to stop a Buy it Now purchase. The real game happens during the final countdown.

That's a pretty big "aside" though...

TO be fair bootleg heads are available relatively cheaply, but have a horrible face. The hair moulded hair, however, can transplant. It's the face that's the issue with the bootlegs.
IF, and it's a big IF, this gets released with that HT-quality face, you could pick up the bootleg ROTS head with the good hair and make them fit.
I'd be sceptical that this will turn out that good. I'd expect they used a ROTS HT head with a styled rooted hair for the promo images and the final one will just look like a standard Ebay bootleg with long hair.
If the face turns out good, it's a cheap way into the ROTS look, though. Not a lot more needing done, and certainly cheaper than Ebay...

Im surprised and not surprised to hear about the flaking on Ani. Mine stayed in the box for several years and only went on display not too long ago. He's been on display for about 7 months with no issues.

Attachments

• IMG_3834.jpeg
    IMG_3834.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
TO be fair bootleg heads are available relatively cheaply, but have a horrible face. The hair moulded hair, however, can transplant. It's the face that's the issue with the bootlegs.
IF, and it's a big IF, this gets released with that HT-quality face, you could pick up the bootleg ROTS head with the good hair and make them fit.
I'd be sceptical that this will turn out that good. I'd expect they used a ROTS HT head with a styled rooted hair for the promo images and the final one will just look like a standard Ebay bootleg with long hair.
If the face turns out good, it's a cheap way into the ROTS look, though. Not a lot more needing done, and certainly cheaper than Ebay...
That's exactly what they did right, just rooted a real Hot Toy head for Promos and then will try recreate it in production with bootlegs. Who knows what quality it will be, likely not worth it.

There used to be a time where you could actually buy 3rd party figures, use their bodies (because usually the bodies/clothes are actually pretty good recreations), and just buy a parted out Hot Toy head, but now that fiscally makes no sense as the heads go for more than half the full Hot Toy figure these days.

I remember buying a HT Old Ben Kenobi head and the 3rd party outfit set, and over time slowly replacing all the parts with the real deal, and there was often little to no difference between the fake clothes and the real ones.

That's exactly what they did right, just rooted a real Hot Toy head for Promos and then will try recreate it in production with bootlegs. Who knows what quality it will be, likely not worth it.

There used to be a time where you could actually buy 3rd party figures, use their bodies (because usually the bodies/clothes are actually pretty good recreations), and just buy a parted out Hot Toy head, but now that fiscally makes no sense as the heads go for more than half the full Hot Toy figure these days.

I remember buying a HT Old Ben Kenobi head and the 3rd party outfit set, and over time slowly replacing all the parts with the real deal, and there was often little to no difference between the fake clothes and the real ones.

I hear you. As the head is the most important ingredient, i've always picked up HT heads when a figure gets parted, and find myself with over three hundred now, lol.
Bootlegs are getting better and better, but HT consistently manage to give their heads paintjobs that rival, or surpass custom $200 paintjobs from very talented people in the aftermarket. In that regard, even if a bootleg figure has great clothing, it will seldom be better than the same item from HT.
Where a lot of current bootlegs(Or at least unlicenced figures that HT won't make) thrive, is in giving us characters the main companies don't want to take the risk on. Low volume, high quality, reasonably priced characters from niche movies that HT won't even consider.
And back to the subject, i doubt that Anakin will have that quality paint on the head. If it does, that's great. But i doubt it will end up that good.

and find myself with over three hundred now, lol.

I’ve known you have a vast and impressive collection of head sculpts but didn’t realize it was that many at this point.

You’ve probably spent more on heads than many people do on figures.

I can’t imagine you want strangers near your heads, but the image of someone who doesn’t know about these figures stumbling upon all your heads and what may be some very frightened reactions is hilarious.

I’ve known you have a vast and impressive collection of head sculpts but didn’t realize it was that many at this point.

You’ve probably spent more on heads than many people do on figures.

I can’t imagine you want strangers near your heads, but the image of someone who doesn’t know about these figures stumbling upon all your heads and what may be some very frightened reactions is hilarious.

Actually, we once had a break in at work, where i keep all my 1/6 parts and heads. The door was busted open, and they had kicked in all our office doors. I rushed to work when i found out, as it's probably $10,000 worth of heads i have, bagged on a box in my office...
They hadn't touched them. Hadn't touched my PC, or anything. My Brother has a full size Cavill MOS suit on a mannequin in a corner of his office, and they hadn't gone near it.
They did, however, bust open the key box and steal my Dad's car, then used it to commit a bunch of robberies in the local area.
But they never stole my head collection... Which was nice.

Grail acquired! This guy is just an incredible subject! He photographs so well it’s amazing!

I was on the fence for this release thinking I didn’t need him because I already had light side Anakin for just long enough for him to sell out and become untouchable in terms of price. But there is so much more to him than just a repaint on the eyes. So many other subtle details . LOVE HIM!

B53050492EB14C52A807.jpeg

94DDCF5C8C214C7F8E19.jpeg

Grail acquired! This guy is just an incredible subject! He photographs so well it’s amazing!

I was on the fence for this release thinking I didn’t need him because I already had light side Anakin for just long enough for him to sell out and become untouchable in terms of price. But there is so much more to him than just a repaint on the eyes. So many other subtle details . LOVE HIM!

B53050492EB14C52A807.jpeg

94DDCF5C8C214C7F8E19.jpeg

You are an amazing photographer QuiGon, but this might be your best stuff yet. Stunning! I doubt I’ll ever get a Dark Side Anakin unless a miracle happens and they reissue him, but at least I can enjoy the figure from your photos!

Incredible job!

Recently bought a dark side Anakin with a really flaked tunic, so I decided to make one out of leather and I think it turned out pretty good.

IMG-2786.jpg

IMG-2787.jpg
i know this is old but curious what leather did you use and how thick is it.

i figure this should be easy to make with just leather glue and cutter but getting leather thin enough would be the hard part. did you use those tools to thin out the leathers?

i know this is old but curious what leather did you use and how thick is it.

i figure this should be easy to make with just leather glue and cutter but getting leather thin enough would be the hard part. did you use those tools to thin out the leathers?

That was my first attempt I did another with thinner leather and looks better, I used lamb leather nappa which comes as one sheet
I got from Etsy can't remember the thickness though I will get back to you.

edit: 0.6 - 0.8mm

Last edited:
Back