1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 650D46/651 - Star Wars Episode II: AOTC - C3PO & R2D2 Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys I know this is not related but I need to ask this.I pre-ordered the R2-D2 AOTC at Popcultcha a couple weeks ago and yesterday they charge me in full including shipping and everything. Is that their usual way to do it? On their website it shows only as "to be charge". I'm confused whats hapening, I wrote them an email and nothing. They never send me any email telling me that they charge me for this pre-order I just noticed it on my credit card statement Any thoughts?

I got 2 of those B1's coming in so yeah I wouldn't mind another month or so until they hit the US.

I don't think you have to worry about Alter Ego getting anything in anytime soon lol. Crazy the wait time we have to wait from some of the US retailers. I have the SS version as well and have been back and forth with upgrading.

The turn around is great, just not expected, while poor Marvel collectors are still waiting on Wanda from Wandavision, a show that came out in Q1 2021.
Oh yea having multple droids/clones on order is just as bad. I feel for you 😅

Ha! Yea, AEC is usually my go to for HT items unless I'm too late to order so I'm used to delays by now. I don't mind anymore though. When I was younger, I wanted each release now! But as I've gotten older, just knowing that it's been released is nice enough. Thankfully, AEC doesn't charge as far in advance as Sideshow though, as that does still grind my gears when Sideshow does that.

Didn't even think about Wanda from W/V not being out yet! Might be another WW84 case that it just takes longer to release for whatever reason.

Last edited:
Guys I know this is not related but I need to ask this.I pre-ordered the R2-D2 AOTC at Popcultcha a couple weeks ago and yesterday they charge me in full including shipping and everything. Is that their usual way to do it? On their website it shows only as "to be charge". I'm confused whats hapening, I wrote them an email and nothing. They never send me any email telling me that they charge me for this pre-order I just noticed it on my credit card statement Any thoughts?
Doesn’t sound right. They will reply to your email eventually, they are always slow. If you can ring I would ring and get it sorted over the phone.

They probably won't be getting the figure in for a while so doesn't seem correct.

Sometimes it takes a while for them to respond. Give them a call if you don't hear from them soon like choombaz said.

I sometimes get a response on Facebook. Sometimes.

I ordered from their today since it was the only legit site I knew that still had some availability

Any place in the US have R2 avail to order? Really don’t want to go with TW or PopC
Might end up paying the iron price on this one or trying to find a LCS that might be getting stock. No way to tell until SS gets them and starts shipping.

I just canceled my SS order, so at least one Artoo has been freed up. Good luck to those who are hunting for one!

So it was this figure that took me out of retirement: I once had both the TFA and Deluxe releases, but what brought me back was the heavier weathering on this. I have it displayed with other Icons of Record on my bookshelf -- i.e. a couple of my Annie Leibovitz photography books.

(Sidebar -- there are photographers whose work I may prefer on a technical level, but her record of the music and celebrities I grew up with make her work a must-have to look back on and mark time with. And yes, R2 appears in her work -- more than once actually).

The figure is identical to the previous Deluxe version save for more grime. Mine arrived the other day with the top 'sensor' or knob or whatever on his head recessed -- I disassembled the head (3 pain in the butt screws and some tricky side panel friction hinges to be careful of) and pushed it back out so it's fully seated and functional. No other QC issues.

As @Jedha Patrol mentions, the Threepio head's eyes don't look totally dead when not lit up, but it depends a little on the angle, IMO. I can't judge the proportions given it's not sitting on a body but I suspect it remains slightly undersized. Paint work on it is really nice.

Last edited:
I have the TFA version and decided to keep my order on this when my waitlist converted the other day. I actually sold my Deluxe R2 because I thought it looked too clean and then picked up the TFA for cheap, which I definitely prefer in hand. So I’m all in for the heavier weathering on this one.

I have the TFA version and decided to keep my order on this when my waitlist converted the other day. I actually sold my Deluxe R2 because I thought it looked too clean and then picked up the TFA for cheap, which I definitely prefer in hand. So I’m all in for the heavier weathering on this one.
The Deluxe was very clean which was a factor for me. Big difference I find between this and TFA (besides accessories) is that the TFA has this very uniform yellow tint, whereas this has nice, distinct spots of wear and grime I associate with most of the OT appearances of R2. I do think it's the best one to date.

Any place in the US have R2 avail to order? Really don’t want to go with TW or PopC
Wanted to let y'all know to check your local Sideshow retail partners for any of these figures that sell out before they ever make it in stock on Sideshow's website; my local comic shop has one of these R2D2's sitting on the shelf.

Got my R2D2 yesterday and wow is he quite the upgrade over the Sideshow one. No floppy panels or scanners just falling out of the dome. Paint job is incredible and looks like what Sideshow was trying to do but better. Panels are nice and straight vs the uneven ones on my sideshow copies. Lights work properly and no dented or scratched main “eye” unlike one of my SS R2s. Legs move nicely on the ratchets rather than the friction+rubber ring joint the SS version has. On both my copies that rubber ring tangled itself and eventually cracked and broke.

While I’m not one who usually equates heft with quality, the thickness of the plastic, the not so hollow feel plus the added diecast dome really make this little guy feel nice in the hand. Really glad HT made him again as I almost purchased the deluxe OT version so many times.

I haven’t watched any of the reviews so I don’t know if anyone else covered this, but he still has the slot for Luke’s lightsaber and the “plug” for the Dagobah lamp. I do wish I had the Leia holograms and light from the first one but that’s a minor nit.

Last edited:
the thickness of the plastic, the not so hollow feel plus the added diecast dome

american-psycho-card.gif

Back