1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 650D46/651 - Star Wars Episode II: AOTC - C3PO & R2D2 Collectible Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The reason I quit preordering is the difference between protos and final products. If companies want me to preorder, they should reveal the final design before going into production.

I don’t find that a problem with Hot Toys generally. They have some releases that aren’t the best but I would say generally they deliver on their prototypes, and often exceed expectations.
I’d agree with this. As far as remaining true to the prototype I’d say HT is consistently the best and Sideshow is consistently the worst with a rare exception on both counts.

I can’t think of the last HT reveal that was drastically different in a bad way from the proto though.

Yep, was gonna say the same. Not every company delivers on the prototypes they show so I get it, but Hot Toys has generally been pretty consistent between proto and final.

And they’ve even been making some improvements and fixes like with Vaughn.

Some details might be softened or some minor things changed, but usually you get what you see.

Like others have said, you don't typically have to worry with HT. Now, if this was Sideshow or Star Ace then yes, expect the drop from proto to production. Every single one of the Sideshow R2D2's I've had were all plague with QC issues as well as massive drops in paint work, joint tightness and overall quality across the board. And whenever I got a replacement, they'd have a whole set of other issues.

Last edited:
if this was Sideshow

It’s been a long time, but I think the worst proto to production drop in quality I personally experienced was with their Rogue Premium Format.

It was so bad they made a batch of replacement heads but those weren’t that much better…

This was an unusually far worse than usual case but I stopped collecting them not long after. I was always afraid on some level of a repeat scenario. :lol

For Star Wars collectors, I didn’t buy it but that would probably be the rerelease of the General Grievous 1:6 figure for a lot of folks. The prototype photos clearly show the figure standing and unbroken which did not translate to the production version.

5FEEBC32-A8F5-45D1-A3B4-D9833ABE5637.jpeg
2739611B-C4B3-408E-B109-8C5F6EDE6B34.jpeg
4E6F537E-2228-43AF-B137-5EB01F289769.jpeg

Sideshow is pretty bad. Not to turn this into dumping on them but I’m very skeptical on ordering anything from them. I will say though their figure of The Dude from earlier in the year is pretty good.

It’s been a long time, but I think the worst proto to production drop in quality I personally experienced was with their Rogue Premium Format.

It was so bad they made a batch of replacement heads but those weren’t that much better…

This was an unusually far worse than usual case but I stopped collecting them not long after. I was always afraid on some level of a repeat scenario. :lol

For Star Wars collectors, I didn’t buy it but that would probably be the rerelease of the General Grievous 1:6 figure for a lot of folks. The prototype photos clearly show the figure standing and unbroken which did not translate to the production version.
Oh yes, that Rogue PF made a lot of us scared! I didn't even order, but I remember almost every release after that for quite awhile many were praying to not have messed up painted eyes.

Same for Grievous - I never bought him but the stories from out fellow members say enough about that one
They’ve made some good figures and statues over the years but when they miss, they miss hard.
That's a great way to put it! :goodpost:

You talk about production quality. HT is the best, no question on that (maybe Inart will challenge them). What I'm talking about is accuracy. You see some inaccuracies in the proto. They might be negligable or deal breaker for you. In the latter case, I don't wanna preorder based on hope of correction.

BTW, I get it when a HS isn't 100% accurate since it's really difficult thing. And I forgive inaccuracies in HS unless it's awful. But making mistakes on outfits is not an excuse.

What we (inc. me) do is buying the figure with the mindset that HT is the best and there will be no better option. But it's not uncommon that I'm unsatisfied with the figure. There are figures that I easily passed since the accuracy is not there on the final product. And if I have preordered them, I would have paid lots of money on figures that would not satisfy me. So, what we do eventually do not verify that HT produces extremely accurate figures.

Most people always hate on AOTC.
Yes,there is some cringy dialogue and some WTF scenes..but I still like it for the new characters introduced,the plot line and action scenes.
Great soundtrack too!
I know it's probably SSC Hijinx with the "sold out" stock to create FOMO,but also not surprising if true.

They must have been allocated more as it was previously sold out. Alter Ego is one of my favorite sites to purchase from personally.

They must have been allocated more as it was previously sold out. Alter Ego is one of my favorite sites to purchase from personally.
I do enjoy them as well. I always purchase from them when Im buying an "all in" figure. meaning I don't have a considerable amount of rewards from the other guys lol

Back