1/6 Hot Toys- Mighty Thor (Jane Foster)- Thor: Love and Thunder

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, lately (well ok maybe the last couple years) the promo photos seem to not put the headsculpts/figures in the best light. Maybe it's the overuse of effects? I dunno, they always look drastically different when I see them photographed at secret base.

Feels like they gave someone new the photography job lately. Maybe someone’s cousin.

Obi-Wan was the worst offender for promo pics. The likeness on that sculpt is already not great but the promo pics were terrible. Looks like bad DMV photos, especially the terrible lighting.

It’s often flat and bland and makes the end result pretty gross to look at.

Last edited:
What’s up with the 18 day ordering window? Trying to catch fomo?

If they start doing this wide scale I’ll never order anything lol
I wonder if this is them trying to be like InArt who also has a semi-limited PO window for their figures. Maybe they’re first trying it out with only the exclusive versions before it eventually becomes standard across the board. I’m sure there are complaints from sideshow and other distributors/retailers about how many deep discounts are having to be given in order to move certain products

I wonder if this is them trying to be like InArt who also has a semi-limited PO window for their figures. Maybe they’re first trying it out with only the exclusive versions before it eventually becomes standard across the board. I’m sure there are complaints from sideshow and other distributors/retailers about how many deep discounts are having to be given in order to move certain products

I would not worry about it going that far. It won’t in all likelihood. They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they switched to all timed preorders. It’ll have a negative effect and they know it.

I think the main reason InArt does it is because they don’t have a global distribution license like Hot Toys so they can’t afford to make as many. They don’t have retailers that can take stock. They also have a smaller production capacity than Hot Toys.

This seems to be something Hot Toys and Sideshow are doing only for Summer Showcase figures which is really weird because that doesn’t even really mean anything for us. It all just seems so arbitrary.

They did the same thing last year with the Summer Showcase figures and it didn’t become the standard. But they trotted it back out for this year despite it not being a popular practice with collectors.

4FC637D4-0695-4200-81D5-BA31E850B5B7.jpeg

It’s weird marketing and really just pushing FOMO with cheap scare tactics to up preorders for a limited selection of figures by dangling an exclusive bauble in front of us.

Most people don’t even know what the Summer Showcase is and this is a terrible way to market anything to collectors. People are only going to associate it with the season of terrible timed exclusives.

I agree, lately (well ok maybe the last couple years) the promo photos seem to not put the headsculpts/figures in the best light. Maybe it's the overuse of effects? I dunno, they always look drastically different when I see them photographed at secret base.

I think I'm one of the few looking forward to this, but then again, I like the character/story from the comics so maybe some bias is there and well Natalie Portman haha.

I enjoyed the film, but I can see how some may not like it. They probably could have pulled back on some of the humor to let the more dramatic moments hit a bit harder. I can kinda see where they are pushing the mcu with this, expanding the universe of their gods and lore which may not be for everyone.
I thought was as good as ragnarok. The funniest bit was the arm in valhalla for me. I'm also relieved a perpetual plot thread is finally closed.

I think the summer showcase/ACGHK is a big thing in hong kong. It's kinda like their SDCC (or they're trying to make it like that) so they're offering some more exclusivity to some of the items. At the same time, I don't think it's punishing to collectors if you miss it as most of the items are nice to have, but not necessarily a must have.

Last edited:
It’s weird marketing and really just pushing FOMO with cheap scare tactics to up preorders for a limited selection of figures by dangling an exclusive bauble in front of us.

Most people don’t even know what the Summer Showcase is and this is a terrible way to market anything to collectors. People are only going to associate it with the season of terrible timed exclusives.
I think it's more about steering people back toward official distributors. The bonus accessories are essentially *free* at official distributors, while the unofficial places have to source the figures by more expensive means to offer those extra accessories and charge more as a result, which levels the playing field to a large degree.

I think it's more about steering people back toward official distributors. The bonus accessories are essentially *free* at official distributors, while the unofficial places have to source the figures by more expensive means to offer those extra accessories and charge more as a result, which levels the playing field to a large degree.

Yes that’s definitely at the core of it, as are all the Sideshow/Hot Toys direct exclusives.

It’s perfectly normal for collectibles to have incentives to buy from certain retailers and I don’t have a problem with that. They release several figures throughout the year that have exclusives versions with no cost bonus accessories that are not timed.

But this was in reference specifically to this Summer Showcase setup they’ve got going on now. Feels arbitrary and weird just to make a clump of figures in the middle of the year that are all time limited exclusives. That just feels like bad marketing and cheap sales tactics.

I feel it would make more sense to not make these timed exclusives like most other releases to draw in as many people as possible with them instead of trying to push FOMO to boost preorders in the short term.

Good points and thanks @MyenShi and @Spanbauer

The only figure I remembered having a timed exclusive was the diecast MK1 and didn’t even remember it being part of the summer showcase. I have/had no interest in the others, so didn’t even pay attention to them nor the fact that they had exclusives 😅

Last edited:

But it also hurts the smaller "mom & pop" shops that depend on Sideshow as their official Hot Toys distributor, who cannot sell the "Special Edition" or "SSC EX."

Normally I support B&M or "mom & pop" stores but I grudgingly admit, some of these "Special Edition" or "SSC EX" have steered me toward buying direct from Sideshow, despite having to pay a $50-75 premium (tax & shipping).

The Darth Vader -Grand Inquisitor bonus hologram seemed like a worthless accessory to me but something like the Obi-Wan - Anakin hilt, box & cloth bonus seems essential to a poignant scene in the show.

Hot Toys/Sideshow has been doing this for over a year now, its started with the Black Widow and Spider-Man black and gold suit

HGvCkAt.png

Last edited:
I’m going to order but right now this doesn’t look like Portman. It may have been quickly rushed for solicitation since they could blur out the portrait. Still hoping for Valkyrie and maybe even Sif.

I’m going to order but right now this doesn’t look like Portman.

Yeah I’ll say.

F051F9E4-D841-4E72-93CF-20BF0D7BFD80.jpeg

Although if she could look like that when the paparazzi show up then I’m sure she would.

It may have been quickly rushed for solicitation since they could blur out the portrait. Still hoping for Valkyrie and maybe even Sif.

Putting a figure up for preorder without the finalized sculpt doesn’t happen that often but it does. Licensing and likeness approvals can be such a long and tedious process so hiccups occur. Fortunately for us, at least they’re doing a full portrait. Wouldn’t have been surprised if it had been just the helmeted one.

I think the helmeted head looks alright though. It’s doing part of its intended job in disguising her identity.

And agreed, hope we get Valkyrie at least. They better this time around. Sif would be great but unlikely sadly.

4F4C606D-6599-4045-A5BF-EEF43A28749F.jpeg
95FC42A7-CA0D-4E16-AAA3-6BE22B2A2A11.jpeg

Hot Toys/Sideshow has been doing this for over a year now, its started with the Black Widow and Spider-Man black and gold suit

HGvCkAt.png

Ah yes, the first Summer Sh**case. No one liked it and they still brought it back. :lol

7FFB91B5-62C1-41E9-A142-F459BC2CC197.jpeg

yep @MyenShi clarified for me above. Thanks though :hi5:

:duff

Last edited:
I actually like the battle damaged helmet (full disclosure, I preordered the Black Widow last year with the useless exclusive shield...). A battle damaged sculpt would be great, but worst case, you could have her unmasked and holding the helmet. And I like that they included a broken hammer effect, though they could have chosen a more interesting effect piece than a long electricity chain.

Between a so-so likeness and the sculpted hair, I'm pretty much out. I was hoping it would mirror the WW Golden Armor hair/helmet situation, but I can't stand how the sculpted hair looks (it has too much volume and doesn't fall naturally). And I don't love this look/design enough to overlook it (or get the hair redone). On the upside, I don't need to move IW Thor to a dedicated Thor shelf and can leave him with the Avengers Big Three.

And agreed, hope we get Valkyrie at least. They better this time around. Sif would be great but unlikely sadly.
No Sif Cosbaby = almost no chance of a full figure. But I'm with you in hoping for that. Valkyrie had a Cosbaby, so the chance is higher than zero (but not by much).

For the price its not a big ask for the metal bits to all be nice and shiny (this goes for Thor Thor as well), if this is the iteration I end up with I'll have to make merry with the paints to get it up to snuff. They do have time (and at least lately, some precedent) to make improvements in the mean time though

For the price its not a big ask for the metal bits to all be nice and shiny (this goes for Thor Thor as well), if this is the iteration I end up with I'll have to make merry with the paints to get it up to snuff. They do have time (and at least lately, some precedent) to make improvements in the mean time though
Yup, as you said especially for the asking price. Much more could have/should have been done here. No blasting hammer effects? That was her go to move. Instead we get the goofy looking string lighting whip she used once in the film in a blink and miss it moment. Just don't understand the decisions here. Combine with a lack of flare in the actual suit with not an ounce of shine and a soft helmeted sculpt...I just don't know. The Portman sculpt would really have to be phenomenal. Also think a nice shiny cracked Diecast mjolnir would help the cool factor a lot here

Last edited:
Back