1/6 Hot Toys - MMS729/729B - John Wick Chapter 4: John Wick

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m hoping they’re only delaying putting these up because there’s more getting added to them. They could be very bare bones with just a pistol and cane or they could come loaded with alternate weapons, diorama bases, or even bloodied clothes or heads if they really wanted to go all out. Hoping John has moving eyes, although Caine wouldn’t need them.

Them removing the teaser from their pages makes me wonder if there are legal issues they need to work out first. Maybe their license only included Wick himself and they need to work out rights for Caine? Just speculation as we haven’t had anyone but Wick figures from the series up to this point.

What I’d like to see included with the figures. I’ll spoiler tag them just to be safe even though not all would be accurate to come with these outfits

Spoiler Spoiler:

I’m sure I’m forgetting a new things that would be neat to include but so much goes on in this film I’ll need to see it a few more times to remember it all :lol

I'd rather they not give him moving eyes myself. Takes too much away from the realism, and HT already has a hard time capturing Keanu as it is. Lol

KR is actually to me a likeness I don’t think they struggle with. I thought the JW2 sculpt was pretty good, what holds it back is soft paint apps. Likeness is there, but the features are a bit soft, with the beard being the most discernible.

But I agree no moveable eyes. I’ve personally always thought as well it takes away from the realism and is something to tread lightly with, as it can throw off a likeness.

My money is on they simply repaint the MR sculpt.

I'd rather they not give him moving eyes myself. Takes too much away from the realism, and HT already has a hard time capturing Keanu as it is. Lol

Subject matter and/or their formal representation has to approve the final "likeness" of a sculpt. That kind of stuff is tricky.

Also, as the rumor goes, back in 2000, Patrick Stewart didn't like the "likeness" on his X-Men figure. This was back when all toys were still running through brick and mortars like Toys R Us and Kay Bee. So they had to be pulled and an entire new run had to be sped through. There's probably a warehouse somewhere with 100K Professor X's in it. What made this worse is back then, "short packing" was still a strategy. So since he came with a wheelchair and his package size was odd, that further complicated the matter in basic logistics for case builds.

Dragon Models, in the old days, got the official license for John Woo's Windtalkers. Nicholas Cage didn't want any figures of him with guns with them. ( Bizarre, as this was his heyday of The Rock, Face/Off, etc, etc. ) So DML had to add in a "bonus kit" that came with every sale of the Cage figure. The formal set didn't have guns. But there was separate "carded set" that came with the figure that could basically arm him.

The amount of "knock offs" will be proportional to how popular something is in Asia. For example, Prison Break was huge in Asia during it's initial run. So you got a lot of Wentworth Miller and Dominic Purcell sculpts for a while. John Wick is huge around the world, so there will likely be a decent clip of third party unlicensed support for other head sculpt options.

The key issue IMHO is the weapons, accessories and gear. That's not going to be easy to lift by other brands. Taran Tactical is notorious for defending it's brand and rights, etc, etc.

I didn't think the HT JW2 headsculpt looked accurate personally. But if this set is also inaccurate, I'll just hope for better third party support somewhere. I also hope they don't give him moving eyes. I'd rather they spent that money on R&D to give us two different sculpts in the same set over one headsculpt with moving eyes. But when has HT given us two heads? The last time I can remember is Leonidas and Two Face.

What I’d like to see included with the figures. I’ll spoiler tag them just to be safe even though not all would be accurate to come with these outfits

Spoiler Spoiler:

I’m sure I’m forgetting a new things that would be neat to include but so much goes on in this film I’ll need to see it a few more times to remember it all :lol

Good list, I edited out everything that won't be included IMO.

Good list, I edited out everything that won't be included IMO.
Yeah the bases aren’t likely to be anything but generic stands with movie branding, which is a shame. HT should really go all out on these figures to better help sell what would be otherwise fairly simple figures in suits that just about any decent third party maker could make. Perhaps we’ll see someone do the Marquee, Winston, or Charon someday?

Last time we got two heads with a hot toys was the deluxe ROTJ Luke.... so like 4-5 years ago.

Well there are plenty of face change sculpts like Classic Loki and helmeted/not helmeted sculpts like Mighty Thor. But yes not enough multiple head sculpt figures out there, thank goodness for companies like Mars Toys.

Black Adam has two head sculpts lol!!!

Yeah the bases aren’t likely to be anything but generic stands with movie branding, which is a shame. HT should really go all out on these figures to better help sell what would be otherwise fairly simple figures in suits that just about any decent third party maker could make. Perhaps we’ll see someone do the Marquee, Winston, or Charon someday?
It’s Marquis, not Marquee. It’s a noble rank like Duke or Count. You want someone made marquee made me think like someone will make a big tent for the figure🤣🤣🤣

Not sure I care to replace my John Wick 2 figure as it’s really good, but I’d be all in on Caine and Nobody if they make them. Would be cool to set them up in a way that represents The Good The Bad and The Ugly thing they were going for in the film. Would definitely get a Winston too if they ever went that deep, which I doubt.

Not sure I care to replace my John Wick 2 figure as it’s really good, but I’d be all in on Caine and Nobody if they make them. Would be cool to set them up in a way that represents The Good The Bad and The Ugly thing they were going for in the film. Would definitely get a Winston too if they ever went that deep, which I doubt.
How’s articulation on your JW2? I can barely get the arms to hold up like he’s aiming down sights

How’s articulation on your JW2? I can barely get the arms to hold up like he’s aiming down sights
It's not the body that's the problem, it's the suit. Hot Toys was in a tough spot because if they gave it extra room for those kind of poses, the suit would have looked baggy. I've still managed to find some good poses without him aiming down the sights. Definitely understand the frustration around that issue but I can't imagine a new figure with him in a suit would pose much better.

Someone made a custom harness system for John Wick 2. The above is a video review. But honestly HT should have made it and included it with the figure. I mean how much can some molded plastic and webbing cost? And I'm not talking a dramatic amount of either. Some shotgun shells, some spare mags, some holsters and a buckle system.

Wow this is awesome

I hope they do release this as I sold my John wick 2 figure when this was announced…… if it was canceled it’s going to suck…..
Well, even if they did cancel it, I believe InArt mentioned they were very interested in making a John Wick figure. So there's still hope even if it's not from the 4th movie.

Would/could be pretty awesome - Rooted hair option, diecast weapons (great if they improve the joints on the body to hold them better), better tailored suit than HT most likely, scenic type of display stand vs one of the standard HT ones with a movie inspired graphic design/logo, more realistic hands, and moveable eyes (+ or - depending on your preference).

Last edited:
It would be very stupid on HT part if they end up cancelling they'll lose any chance at making good money from the hype. But If InArt gets it and announces plans to make John from any of the 4 films HT will try to back peddle and officially announce the figures for preorder. Which will be down right funny if that happens.

Back