1/6 Hot Toys Iron Man Mark V- REISSUE

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love if they rereleased the VI and the Mark 1 War Machine.

At this point they will rerelease everything and after that rererelease it all again haha. I understand this a business, but you dont see automakers rereleasing cars that have gone up significantly.

What happens when a government just prints more money when there isn't precious metals to back it up? It becomes worthless. If Hot Toys keeps this up collecting their products will become pointless too. In a sense they are in fact causing their own demise. Yes, they are getting new customers at the expense of alienating their preexisting consumers.

Fact:

Acquiring a new customer can cost five times more than retaining an existing customer. Increasing customer retention by 5% can increase profits from 25-95%. The success rate of selling to a customer you already have is 60-70%, while the success rate of selling to a new customer is 5-20%.

At this point they will rerelease everything and after that rererelease it all again haha. I understand this a business, but you dont see automakers rereleasing cars that have gone up significantly.

The comparison with cars is inaccurate because most of the increase in a collector's car's value takes place decades after the manufacturing run is over and the technology has long since moved on.

In contrast this figure and a few other diecast IM figures have gone up a number of times over their RRP within a couple of years and whilst there have been minor improvements in the technology they're not yet dated enough to warrant a completely new issue, though IMO I'd prefer a shorter Mark V.

What happens when a government just prints more money when there isn't precious metals to back it up? It becomes worthless.

Well that's just not true. Take Lego which regularly remakes and sometimes reissues the exact same set. The original still holds its value e.g. the old UCS Millennium Falcon or the Black Seas Barracuda. If you're predicting that HT is suddenly going to become worthless because reissues then you're going to need to provide some hard evidence for that claim because in my many years of collecting high quality toys such as Lego and HT I've yet to see evidence of that.

If Hot Toys keeps this up collecting their products will become pointless too. In a sense they are in fact causing their own demise. Yes, they are getting new customers at the expense of alienating their preexisting consumers.

HT is a business and I'm pretty confident they know how to generate revenue to keep their business running profitably so I find it pretty amusing when someone tries to tell them they know better how to maximize profit. If HT has miscalculated and loses so many preexisting customers that it outweighs the new customers they're catering to with these reissues then they'll no doubt change tack and go for exclusively new releases unless they're actually irrational and are content with their own demise lol

Fact:

Acquiring a new customer can cost five times more than retaining an existing customer. Increasing customer retention by 5% can increase profits from 25-95%. The success rate of selling to a customer you already have is 60-70%, while the success rate of selling to a new customer is 5-20%.

Existing customers will be buying these reissues too. I missed out on the 47 and I'm a pretty significant spender on HT. I wasn't alienated because I'm not collecting as an investor or a reseller.

Each to their own of course, but if you're collecting as an investor or reseller and finally after all these years of reissues the penny has finally dropped that your investment or resale value is not being protected by HT then you'll presumably move on to something else.

However, I'm not sure on what basis you'd be complaining as you'd have at least made your money back and you knew the risks when you invested or purchased the Mark 5 or any other diecast IM for resale because newsflash HT has been doing reissues for years.

The comparison with cars is inaccurate because most of the increase in a collector's car's value takes place decades after the manufacturing run is over and the technology has long since moved on.

In contrast this figure and a few other diecast IM figures have gone up a number of times over their RRP within a couple of years and whilst there have been minor improvements in the technology they're not yet dated enough to warrant a completely new issue, though IMO I'd prefer a shorter Mark V.

Well that's just not true. Take Lego which regularly remakes and sometimes reissues the exact same set. The original still holds its value e.g. the old UCS Millennium Falcon or the Black Seas Barracuda. If you're predicting that HT is suddenly going to become worthless because reissues then you're going to need to provide some hard evidence for that claim because in my many years of collecting high quality toys such as Lego and HT I've yet to see evidence of that.

HT is a business and I'm pretty confident they know how to generate revenue to keep their business running profitably so I find it pretty amusing when someone tries to tell them they know better how to maximize profit. If HT has miscalculated and loses so many preexisting customers that it outweighs the new customers they're catering to with these reissues then they'll no doubt change tack and go for exclusively new releases unless they're actually irrational and are content with their own demise lol

Existing customers will be buying these reissues too. I missed out on the 47 and I'm a pretty significant spender on HT. I wasn't alienated because I'm not collecting as an investor or a reseller.

Each to their own of course, but if you're collecting as an investor or reseller and finally after all these years of reissues the penny has finally dropped that your investment or resale value is not being protected by HT then you'll presumably move on to something else.

However, I'm not sure on what basis you'd be complaining as you'd have at least made your money back and you knew the risks when you invested or purchased the Mark 5 or any other diecast IM for resale because newsflash HT has been doing reissues for years.

What I said is subjective and an opinion not fact.

What you replied with is the same.

What is a fact is the percentages I spoke about new customers vs existing.

No need to go back and forth.

Buy what you like. :)

Well he did have it like that getting into the car, but I get what you mean.

Indeed, but he's clearly about to suit up there.

The only way i'd want to display him with his puffed up hair is if I also had a 1/6th STARK F1 car to put him next to. I don't even want to go down that rabbit hole :lol

Indeed, but he's clearly about to suit up there.

The only way i'd want to display him with his puffed up hair is if I also had a 1/6th STARK F1 car to put him next to. I don't even want to go down that rabbit hole :lol

A collector from Korea did an outstanding diorama with the Mark V scene in Iron Man 2 with the F1 car all crashed up. I'll look for it.

I originally was going to quit collecting Hot Toys when they rereleased the Tumbler. I remember being very upset. But I began to see it happen again and again and just got over it. Just know it’s a possibility they may rerelease any figure and then you won’t get upset. Just recently I bought a used damaged Batpod for more than retail of the recently announced one. I bought it and then the next month they announced a rerelease. Look out for a rerelease of the Camo Tumbler - cause I just bought that too. Lol.

What I said is subjective and an opinion not fact.

What you replied with is the same.

What is a fact is the percentages I spoke about new customers vs existing.

No need to go back and forth.

Buy what you like. :)

There's no back and forth. I called you out on a bunch of unsubstantiated scare-mongering. You conceded that it was just your opinion and nothing more so we're done and go back to buying exactly what we like, bubye :wave

The comparison with cars is accurate because it is about value. I have seen cars 30-40+ with no value and others less than a year old have substantial value (The new Corvette and GTR come to mind). Time does not equal value, DEMAND does. You're saying because something is old it has value. You also said that because technology has moved on that it would be harder to manufacture old technology with our new technology?

Well that's just not true. Take Lego which regularly remakes and sometimes reissues the exact same set. The original still holds its value e.g. the old UCS Millennium Falcon or the Black Seas Barracuda. If you're predicting that HT is suddenly going to become worthless because reissues then you're going to need to provide some hard evidence for that claim because in my many years of collecting high quality toys such as Lego and HT I've yet to see evidence of that..

I have seen tons of Lego sets, Black series toys, Hasbro Transformers hit the bargain bins, highly reduced MSRPs because they didn't sell. The original Millennium Falcon did lose alot of its value when they announced the new UCS set.

At one time Sideshow was the cream of the crop. Guess where they are now? Not at the top. Those at the top stay there by being innovative and push forward, not by constantly regurgitating their own products. Another example of this is the Apple iphone, once they were leaps and bounds better than the competition. Where are they now? They are bringing out "new technology" that the competition has been using for a while now and competition has caught up with them. "Innovate not regurgitate".

There's no back and forth. I called you out on a bunch of unsubstantiated scare-mongering. You conceded that it was just your opinion and nothing more so we're done and go back to buying exactly what we like, bubye :wave

Thank you for calling me out ;)

My collection is not an investment but an escape from reality and real life. I have almost 2-3 of every diecast Iron Man and could have sold way before they reissue all the other figures, but did not. I am irritated at a company that relies on reissues rather than giving us their consumers new stuff.

Hope you don't think I'm being combative, because that is not my intent. I will agree the aftermarket is crazy high (I paid out my nose for a few items), but that is how hobbies are when you are late to the party and miss things (that really sucks). I am not against collectors getting these guys at MSRP because I have missed some figures too, I might even pick up another Mark V diecast (I have two) for a diorama I want to do, but I just wish Hot Toys would make other characters from different franchises or make the figures that they teased at 'Cons (Vulture, Cyborg, etc.).

In the end this should be about fun.

Last edited:
I originally was going to quit collecting Hot Toys when they rereleased the Tumbler. I remember being very upset. But I began to see it happen again and again and just got over it. Just know it?s a possibility they may rerelease any figure and then you won?t get upset. Just recently I bought a used damaged Batpod for more than retail of the recently announced one. I bought it and then the next month they announced a rerelease. Look out for a rerelease of the Camo Tumbler - cause I just bought that too. Lol.

So it all hinges on you. Please buy a HT raimi Spider-Man lol

The die-cast version is the superior figure by far. But I was always disappointed with the lack of battle damage on it. The damage on plastic version was much better. Exposed wiring, racetrack suit underneath, etc HT_IM2_MarkV_1.jpgmms145-markv7.jpgIMGP0958.JPG.jpg

This is great, albeit expected, news! I do honestly feel horrible for the people who missed out on the original plastic versions of the OG 7 but then having a whole new wave of collectors missing out on the mostly superior diecast versions. I know I’m in the minority here but I hate the diecast Mk. VII, damn thing falls apart when trying to pose it.

They need to do a diecast Mk. III 2.0 with a real torso, not that swap out BS and of course the Mk. I. Also, I don’t understand the hate for this armor. It was never designed for hardcore battle; it can’t even fly. The suitcase armor was always a staple in the comics and I feel that Jon Favreau and team did a great job (especially considering the tremendous pressure) making this somewhat realistic. Also, the coloring looks great, especially in the HoA where it goes Gunmetal, shiny silver, classic red/gold/silver, red & silver, classic red/gold/silver and then the Mk. VII’s dull red (like it or not).

The only releases that make any sense would be a diecast Mark 1 or a diecast Mark 3 2.0. This BS is the result of someone at HT or Sideshow looking at Ebay listings or someone crying on Facebook :slap

The comparison with cars is accurate because it is about value. I have seen cars 30-40+ with no value and others less than a year old have substantial value (The new Corvette and GTR come to mind). Time does not equal value, DEMAND does. You're saying because something is old it has value. You also said that because technology has moved on that it would be harder to manufacture old technology with our new technology?

I don't mean time equates with value regardless of context, of course increases in value boils down to demand. However, it is a fact that most of the cars where there are substantial increases in value are decades old not a year or two.

It has nothing to do with it being technologically harder to manufacture, its just a matter of practicality. If your factories, machines and equipment are calibrated to build modern cars then obviously you need to invest time and money setting up the production line to build the old classics.

Its not to say it never happens, it does from time to time, it just tends to be more recent releases is all e.g. the 2011 Ford Ranger. It does happen occasionally though e.g. Jaguar "reissued" a few e-types and Aston Martin a few more DB4 GTs in 2017 so if you still wish to compare with car manufacturers then its incorrect to say that "you dont see automakers rereleasing cars that have gone up significantly." It would obviously be correct to say that you don't often see automakers rereleasing cars that have gone up significantly but in any case I just think there are better examples to compare to.

I have seen tons of Lego sets, Black series toys, Hasbro Transformers hit the bargain bins, highly reduced MSRPs because they didn't sell. The original Millennium Falcon did lose alot of its value when they announced the new UCS set.

Yeah it happens all the time, even some HTs end up heavily reduced and/or shelf warm for years because they were usually never in demand to begin with. You do get the odd one that will shelf warm and then suddenly ppl decide they actually wanted it and there's a limited supply like the 47.

The original MF lost a lot of the accumulated aftermarket value when the new UCS was announced but it still sells for considerably more than its MSRP. Good luck finding a MISB one for even $1000 USD today (MSRP was $500).

At one time Sideshow was the cream of the crop. Guess where they are now? Not at the top. Those at the top stay there by being innovative and push forward, not by constantly regurgitating their own products. Another example of this is the Apple iphone, once they were leaps and bounds better than the competition. Where are they now? They are bringing out "new technology" that the competition has been using for a while now and competition has caught up with them. "Innovate not regurgitate".

The real edge HT has right now is the licensing and partnership with SS; they have Marvel and SW which are two of the biggest licensed themes in the world. That's not to say that third party or KO companies couldn't produce those figures, just that HTs has carved this out as its bread and butter. Given there's enough new Marvel and SW content coming through I see little risk in HT not being able to make things that will sell well unless the content they're based on is dreadful e.g. the SW sequel trilogy. The Mandalorian on the other hand is an example of new content that breathes more life into the collecting community and actually renews interest in the older figures which supports the consumer demand for reissues. I think everyone can win in such a scenario.

Thank you for calling me out ;)

My collection is not an investment but an escape from reality and real life. I have almost 2-3 of every diecast Iron Man and could have sold way before they reissue all the other figures, but did not. I am irritated at a company that relies on reissues rather than giving us their consumers new stuff.

Hope you don't think I'm being combative, because that is not my intent. I will agree the aftermarket is crazy high (I paid out my nose for a few items), but that is how hobbies are when you are late to the party and miss things (that really sucks). I am not against collectors getting these guys at MSRP because I have missed some figures too, I might even pick up another Mark V diecast (I have two) for a diorama I want to do, but I just wish Hot Toys would make other characters from different franchises or make the figures that they teased at 'Cons (Vulture, Cyborg, etc.).

In the end this should be about fun.

Yeah I can understand it can get irritating to see reissues or "upgrades" of existing figures when there is so much more they could be doing. I experience the same frustrations with the endless reissues and upgrades of Optimus Prime masterpieces but I understand that it makes sense as a business decision as many people only go down the rabbit hole to begin with if they can get the most popular/iconic character to kick start their collection. When I started collecting TF masterpieces I was hellbent on having an OP masterpiece and if I couldn't obtain one at an affordable price I may never have spent the thousands of dollars on the rest of the line.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain your position and I can certainly agree that some figures don't warrant a reissue and if you miss out then you miss out e.g. Yondu. As much as I would love to get hold of a Yondu without paying aftermarket prices I accept that he should never be reissued because he's simply not popular or iconic enough, or at least I doubt it.

I'm glad that this is getting re-issued. I missed out on the first MK5 DC, so now I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for one.

I already have this one, so I am happy for those that missed it the first time. I'm really hoping DC War Machine MK1 is next on the reissue block!

Back