1/6 Hot Toys - DX23 - The Mandalorian: Luke Skywalker (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thing is looking heroic. It actually has me hoping for ROTJ 40th they make a 1:4 scale Luke to go with their Vader, that would be a collecting dream come true. Until now I didn't think they could get Luke's likeness good enough to warrant a 1:4 scale but I think this could work.

I personally like the eyes forward ROTJ sculpt but never was a huge fan of the slightly open mouth expression, not because I think it looks bad, I think my idea of the perfect figure just has a more neutral expression.

I’m wondering if because Luke was done digitally that HT were able to get digital files and 3D print this head.
The way I understand deepfakes to work idk, the deepfake doesnt make a 3d model as far as I know. It’s more like it creates an algo that replaces individual frames of 2D images. I know there was a hybrid approach to making his likeness for the show though so maybe someone made a full 3D model.

same, I bought the standard version, and it would be also helpful of bring down the initial cost if somehow Grogu could be removed from the set also :)
I'm going to have a half dozen Grogus before long at the pace they're including him with stuff... I've got "riding in the pram", "hiding behind mando's leg" and "sitting in the satchel" Grogu so far. As someone said earlier, I can't have anyone holding him because of the lack of soft goods... Such a huge miss on HTs part...

Ooh, now this I'm starting to like. Happy to see the hairpieces are interchangeable.
Hot toys confirmed this awhile ago when they did the small video for the DX Bespin Luke 2.0

427660-Hot-Toys-Official---Star-Wars-The-Empire-Strikes-Back-16th-scale-Luke-Skywalker-Bespin-col...png

The new head sculpt combined with the side swept hair looks fantastic. Definitely going to see if I can get it from somewhere. I have a custom ROTJ Luke with Unreal Toys cloak and OT's Mando Luke set and think it looks great, so I'm not going to pick this one up. Although if I can get his belt, that is one piece I've been missing, I just want the updated sculpt.

Hmm it looks a lot better with those older hair sculpts. I might try to track down a parted out head for my ROTJ Luke.

Sideshow has their video up now.

Love how the battle damaged Dark Trooper can be attached to a regular Dark Trooper lower body.

How long have Hot Toys had butterfly joints? I don't push the joints on mine too much so I was surprised to see them on Luke.

Love how the battle damaged Dark Trooper can be attached to a regular Dark Trooper lower body.

How long have Hot Toys had butterfly joints? I don't push the joints on mine too much so I was surprised to see them on Luke.
They've had butterfly joints for a very long time. My old original Batman Begins (MMS13) and Superman Returns(MMS14) figures had them. Most if not all of their bodies do have the butterfly joint. It's just either the suit/clothing restricting the movement or maybe a chestpiece if it has a sculpted neck+chest.

I forgot how much I hate the angry endor like sculpt with his giant teeth. Anyone know of the snowspeeder Luke sculpt can fit the endor helmet?
Also
That vid is great. This looks like the best Luke

I want the destroyed Dark Trooper, but I think I'll wait for Bespin Luke to get this updated sculpt. I agree it's an improvement but I don't need it when I have the ROTJ one.

I’m an idiot i know but i don’t get why this is funny

I was concerned you might've finally lost it and started replying to yourself but was relieved to scroll up and see you were commenting on the reaction @jye4ever gave.

I’m wondering if because Luke was done digitally that HT were able to get digital files and 3D print this head.

Technically digital files exist for all the modern lead Star Wars actors since they're fully scanned during production. But those files are primarily meant for use in working on special effects during post production.

I feel like people would start calling Hot Toys cheap and lazy if they solely used digital scans and 3D printing instead of employing sculptors. :lol

I was concerned you might've finally lost it and started replying to yourself but was relieved to scroll up and see you were commenting on the reaction @jye4ever gave.

Technically digital files exist for all the modern lead Star Wars actors since they're fully scanned during production. But those files are primarily meant for use in working on special effects during post production.

I feel like people would start calling Hot Toys cheap and lazy if they solely used digital scans and 3D printing instead of employing sculptors. :lol
Scans still require the work of a sculptor, they’re being cheap for not doing it.

Scans still require the work of a sculptor, they’re being cheap for not doing it.

This was in the context of a question posed earlier; what if Hot Toys just took the digital files and 3D printed it. At least that's how I read it.

Which is not viable for various reasons including, yes I agree, someone would still need to work on in it to turn it into a physical product.

Last edited:
What do you mean finally? :)
I thought were already doing things digitally. I struggle to accept sculpts like Gilgamesh are purely done by hand.

I’m not suggesting that everything they do is in computer, I just figured that because this seemed to be the most accurate and at some point I would have thought they had done a 3D model of his head for the episode anyway that …

Btw and as an aside they had not employed the deep fake guy yet. He came on for Book of Boba Fett.

What do you mean finally? :)

I thought were already doing things digitally. I struggle to accept sculpts like Gilgamesh are purely done by hand.

I’m not suggesting that everything they do is in computer, I just figured that because this seemed to be the most accurate and at some point I would have thought they had done a 3D model of his head for the episode anyway that …

Btw and as an aside they had not employed the deep fake guy yet. He came on for Book of Boba Fett.

I felt you had brought up an interesting point, which ties into where the value of a sculpt really is for collectors.

I think there's a level of artistry that's expected by some for more premium pieces that someone hand sculpts a portrait to be turned into a figure. Does it matter how much of that is done digitally or physically? It's true that a lot of work is done digitally these days.

But taking existing production related files or scans of a person and directly adapting that into a sculpt is different. Would that lead to a loss in appeal for some people? Or is that a way to potentially achieve greater accuracy despite losing some of an individual artist's touch?

This guy does great videos!
Agreed!!
Id sit and watch 15mins of of a new release star wars character in various poses and with various other figures,than some of the crap that's out there these days.
Am grateful regardless.
This guy is 1 of the better ones out there along with Jedha.

Back