1/6 Hot Toys - DX23 - The Mandalorian: Luke Skywalker (DELUXE VERSION)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see Heon’s point of view. Luke saving the day in the finale made for a great deus ex machina, but you couldn’t build a film around him doing that for 2+ hours. I remember reading an article where one of the TFA writers said that the early script drafts had Luke in a larger and more active role, and due to his power level, he kept dominating the film, hence they kept cutting his role down until it got boiled down to the cameo right at the end.

It's funny, Mando sells better than OT and this seems like the most popular Mando figure and it's an OT character.
I'd be interested in seeing how it does in the Hot Toys domestic market. Much too early to tell whether this will be the MOST popular Mando figure. The Mandalorian is a show with a good percentage of fans that just do not care about anyone named Skywalker.

He didn't expect anybody to accept his opinion. He has been as diplomatic as one can be to not offend anybody.

People could have as well just left his original post uncommented.
Some folks have very little tolerance for any positivity directed toward TLJ and the ST. They always have to stamp it out and belittle those holding the positive opinions. It's really quite desperate.

Do we have to keep the ST stuff going? This thread is about Luke's figure for his appearance in The Mandalorian, not Jake Skywalker's TLJ figure.
I don't go to the threads for ST figures because I despise those films and don't want to discuss them.
Please can we keep non ST figure threads clean of ST chat? It always ends up with arguments.

Preordered Deluxe Edition.
Always kinda feel guilty whenever I look at my Star Wars shelf display as I'm still using a kitbashed Jedi Luke with the Medicom suit and Hot toys head.
I was gonna upgrade to the ROTJ Hot toys but just couldnt get past the fat suit.

Finally going to properly update my Jedi Luke. Too bad it wont be til next year. sigh. lol

He didn't expect anybody to accept his opinion. He has been as diplomatic as one can be to not offend anybody.

People could have as well just left his original post uncommented.

The ST is so bad that it deserves all the mockery and scorn that it receives. You don't get to smear loved characters and pretend to be surprised when the garbage you peddle is met with repudiation.

I'd be interested in seeing how it does in the Hot Toys domestic market. Much too early to tell whether this will be the MOST popular Mando figure. The Mandalorian is a show with a good percentage of fans that just do not care about anyone named Skywalker.
Well, wouldn't say I don't care, exactly, but the time of getting into OT figs for me is long gone - I never wanted to get into SW figs 'coz of the money:eek:. Plus some cool stuff that Sideshow put out is long gone (like the dewback) unless you have deep pockets.

IMO it's Mando's show, or was supposed to be; and the Child's I guess. I already caved outside of the main line-up with the Boba monk set (and picking up Qui-Gon, because he's awesome😁). Given up stuff like the TLJ deluxe Luke (IMO a cool look and say what folks will, it was a stellar performance IMO). Talked myself out of the Heavy Gunner too.:cry:

This ^%%$# adds up and there's the Obi-Wan series upcoming.:eek: I wouldn't be surprised if HT milks it down the road and re-releases farmboy Luke - at that point I'll get a Luke Skywalker.

I can see there is room for improvement with this headsculpt.
I personally think HT needs to stop doing a copy exact expression for a character if its not widely accepted from the fanbase.
In this case it was a poor CGI effort from Disney, and the deepfake should become cannon.
Whether they based it off the original or deepfake doesn't matter, its just not up to the level this figure deserves especially at DX.

1) lifeless expression - looks too much like a dead doll. In fighting poses may actually look hilariously stupid unless you lower the hood over his eyes.
2) The hair while technically good reminds me of lego bolt on hair.

Someone posted on the Hot Toys facebook page an amazing painting of Luke with idealistic expression. This would be the ultimate figure if they could just copy this image. The essence of the character is perfectly captured, you could not watch the movies for years and look at this figure and say yep, thats my Luke, thats how I remember his character.

Ultimate Luke.jpg

I personally think HT needs to stop doing a copy exact expression for a character if its not widely accepted from the fanbase.
In this case it was a poor CGI effort from Disney, and the deepfake should become cannon.
Whether they based it off the original or deepfake doesn't matter, its just not up to the level this figure deserves especially at DX.

1) lifeless expression - looks too much like a dead doll. In fighting poses may actually look hilariously stupid unless you lower the hood over his eyes.

Someone posted on the Hot Toys facebook page an amazing painting of Luke with idealistic expression. This would be the ultimate figure if they could just copy this image. The essence of the character is perfectly captured, you could not watch the movies for years and look at this figure and say yep, thats my Luke, thats how I remember his character.

View attachment 533482
Nah

View attachment 533482
Nah the HS looks awesome, I like it.

This thread just shows how big of a moron Rian Johnson and Kathleen Kennedy are. A couple of minutes worth of Luke on a Mandalorian show put their **** movie in the dumpster. If I was President of the U.S., they would be charged with treason. Great to see an OT character in their full glory. Figure looks awesome and I can never have enough Lukes. Give me Luke on Tauntaun and Bespin Luke!

Do we have to keep the ST stuff going? This thread is about Luke's figure for his appearance in The Mandalorian, not Jake Skywalker's TLJ figure.
I don't go to the threads for ST figures because I despise those films and don't want to discuss them.
Please can we keep non ST figure threads clean of ST chat? It always ends up with arguments.
Apparently not

It's not that simple. Hot Toys does not have final say in the expression. They can present a sculpt for approval but it can be vetoed by the licensor or actor.

No one knows better than Hot Toys that their sculpts are (usually) vastly improved by having some sort of expression, even if it's slight.

Also, this figure is not doll like. If you want to see doll like, look at some older Hot Toys figures like Winter Soldier Black Widow.

Even if the sculpted expression on this figure leans more neutral, there's still a focus to it, especially with the movable eyes. I think it will look fine in action poses, like in the photo with the hood down and lightsaber drawn.

We see Luke calmly walking through the cruiser, dispatching the Dark Troopers methodically but almost serenely. The sculpt works with that, and matches what we see with the hood up while also matching pretty well what we see when he pulls the hood down.

If we had just an aggressive sculpt like the Endor Luke figure, it wouldn't work with non-action poses. Which means it wouldn't be compatible with the incredibly memorable and cathartic scenes of him during the final moments of the episode.

You are of course entitled to your opinion, if you and others believe that the Luke from that artwork is your ideal Luke. But it's certainly not to me, and far from my ideal. It's not bad art, but I personally don't picture angry squinting action man when I think of Luke.

Last edited:
I'm over it, but there was one last chance to get the originals back together, to relive the memories of our childhoods that we spent countless hours on making up our own stories and imagining what adventures would we get to see them go on next, then we all get old and we get...that. I've spent nearly 40 years waiting for 7,8 and 9.

What kind of miserable lives do you guys lead that keep you from getting over a movie you didn't like 4 years after it came out?
How many Star Wars movies have come out since then? How did they fair at the box office? Oh yeah, viewer interest kind of determines that doesn't it? Bad material leads to lesser material.

Back