1/6 Hot Toys - Avatar: The Way of Water - Jake Sully & Neytiri Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's much better than anything post Endgame Marvel.
It might, maybe it’s better than anything pre-Endgame too. So many movies are better than anything Marvel has or will ever do, but still have 0 social impact. The thing is… how is it that Avatar makes better numbers than any Spiderman movie, yet it won’t make for even 10% of its merchandise and/or cultural impact? Be it conversation, or whatever…

I insist: there’s something weird about everything from James Cameron.

I feel like I'm actually one of the few people here who actually likes the look of these figures. I see the likeness in both of them and I don't mind the joints. I'd choose visible joints over some degradable rubber any day. I will get both Jake and Neytiri. I only hope HT fixes Neytiri's bow between now and release though.

Much agreed! I actually think they look pretty good overall, and I'm not bothered one bit by the exposed joints - I'd imagine it'd be really tough to make these seamless.

People wondering how Avatar can make over 2 billion in the box office 😆 You know there are a lot of people that watch movies that aren't merchandise collectors of any kind. I barely hear anyone talking about any of the Marvel movies these days either.

I thought TWOW was a beautiful film, terribly emotional in parts and uplifting in others. I wasn't sure what I would think about the kids, but they were given their own stories that fleshed them out and as an audience member, I began to feel for them also.

I picked up the original Jake figure and I'd also love to add these two to the collection also. The reason Jake sold so poorly though was because everyone wanted Neytiri. When I say everyone, I mean all the male collectors. Which is creepy enough in itself imo.

People wondering how Avatar can make over 2 billion in the box office 😆 You know there are a lot of people that watch movies that aren't merchandise collectors of any kind. I barely hear anyone talking about any of the Marvel movies these days either.
Still don't know anyone personally that's seen it or even spoken about it, it might make money but it has zero impact on pop culture.
I picked up the original Jake figure and I'd also love to add these two to the collection also. The reason Jake sold so poorly though was because everyone wanted Neytiri. When I say everyone, I mean all the male collectors. Which is creepy enough in itself imo.
Why is it creepy to want a figure that's part of a duo? Because she's a female character? Guess it's creepy to want a Padme to go with Anakin.

I’ve definitely heard more people talking about Marvel stuff than Avatar. Like a lot more actually. Also, errr…yeah most people do not collect, but there is defenitely a connection between merchandise and highest grossing movies ever. Lets take a looky looky:

987BCE11-47F4-49F4-9A7C-3980BDFE0B2F.jpeg

I can only think of one movie that actually does worse in merchandise than Avatar: Top Gun. Reason: don’t tell anyone but the movie is actually the merchandise! Jk. It’s Tom Cruise. It’s always Tom Cruise. A movie that makes more than a billion box office becomes quite quickly of big interest to the likes of Hasbro, Lego, HT, etc.

Even then, Top Gun was more in all talks due to its importance for pop culture (and USA’s recruitment) which still is higher than Avatar’s (although it might motivate a 5 year old for the space marines or whatever they call that in the future. Starship Troopers?) . Avatar was on the news and what not mainly because of the previous record, which was hilarious imo.

Titanic, due to its characteristics is another movie that wouldn’t fit much in the merch world. But Avatar should sell dolls and shirts and caps with ears and blue paint as if there was no tomorrow. Part of its inception was based on being able to sell merch, just as SW, HP, MCU, DC… for whatever reason, it just doesn’t stick with people though.

I’m not hating on it at all, lets be clear. It‘s just interesting… I thought with Disney taking control, they would do more to boost merch sales. Instead, they’ve just saturated the market with a ton of products from mcfarlane, Lego and the likes that are sitting on shelves atm. We shall see how it all develops with the future movies and so on.

It's creepy because guys ONLY wanted Neytiri and weren't interested in the Jake figure cause they said it was sexy ewwww!

Sure men under 45 talk about Marvel, but who else? Avatar appeals to other people that aren't blokes under 45. What merchandise was there for Titanic? Why did that make over 2 billion? Same sort of audience watching that film is the same watching Avatar.

I can only think of one movie that actually does worse in merchandise than Avatar: Top Gun. Reason: don’t tell anyone but the movie is actually the merchandise! Jk. It’s Tom Cruise. It’s always Tom Cruise. A movie that makes more than a billion box office becomes quite quickly of big interest to the likes of Hasbro, Lego, HT, etc.

Even then, Top Gun was more in all talks due to its importance for pop culture (and USA’s recruitment) which still is higher than Avatar’s (although it might motivate a 5 year old for the space marines or whatever they call that in the future. Starship Troopers?) . Avatar was on the news and what not mainly because of the previous record, which was hilarious imo.

I know there are a couple of officially licensed model kits for Top Gun which are pretty cool, but that's about it I think. And even those are pretty much a niche product. Not really something for the masses.

As for action figures etc. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Tom Cruise has a clause in his contracts for not using his likeness for toys, collectibles, and so forth. Which is a bit of a shame because I'd love a licensed Maverick from Top Gun Maverick in his flightsuit.

I know there are a couple of officially licensed model kits for Top Gun which are pretty cool, but that's about it I think. And even those are pretty much a niche product. Not really something for the masses.

As for action figures etc. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Tom Cruise has a clause in his contracts for not using his likeness for toys, collectibles, and so forth. Which is a bit of a shame because I'd love a licensed Maverick from Top Gun Maverick in his flightsuit.

Shoot I'd like a Cage figure from Edge of Tomorrow in his exoskeleton suit!! (AND and Emily Blunt figure too).

Yep, that’s why I said the cause is Tom Cruise. As good a stuntman/actor as he is, he is also a … let’s keep it at weird guy. All things said, had he wanted to become even more filthy rich, he could’ve. Top Gun and Mission Impossible would sell a lot of merch should they want to. But without the star, it’s a no go. Such a shame though.

If there are issues with printing on silicon, perhaps HT could go down the lines of a body stocking type affair with some funky material that can be both printed on as well as cover joints? And wouldn’t necessarily hinder articulation too…Just a thought.

Attachments

• E49D5087-5E21-4AEA-B4E9-1C5A081C4B78.jpeg
    E49D5087-5E21-4AEA-B4E9-1C5A081C4B78.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 38C4294B-1B29-4929-B44F-B3D68140A3E0.jpeg
    38C4294B-1B29-4929-B44F-B3D68140A3E0.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 0
Back