1/6 Hot Toy - MMS612 - Episode VI - ROTJ: Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seeing this never stops me going mad at Hot Toys. What they did is completely illogical.

I don't agree. They leave the gap in Mando version for screen accuracy, but they don't care for its accuracy in OT version. If it's a thing that screen accuracy can be neglected, then why not neglect it in Mando version and chase screen accuracy for OT version?

I’m lucky and don’t have a preference on it. In fact I doubt I’d have noticed if it wasn’t mentioned on this forum I would have just accepted that’s the way it’s meant to be.

I don't agree. They leave the gap in Mando version for screen accuracy, but they don't care for its accuracy in OT version. If it's a thing that screen accuracy can be neglected, then why not neglect it in Mando version and chase screen accuracy for OT version?
I’m sorry you don’t agree, but it’s not like I’m just making stuff up. As I said, it’s present in ROTJ.
D8A07F92-43D9-4A85-9761-F4F78F49A835.jpeg

DADEEE8C-27BC-43EC-9BC2-1A1CB5E2526B.jpeg

B69D4765-FB7C-46CC-9C93-E44D88D96F2B.jpeg

050BF9D4-6429-42D8-955B-4B7028BD4760.jpeg

I know these shots. Look at the amount of gap in these shots and the product itself. This amount should correspond to a barely noticable gap in one sixth scale. We're not talking about a $10 toy, but a $230 collectible figure that is advertised as authentic license as a selling point. If you're fine with this amount of screen (in)accuracy I'm glad for you.

I know these shots. Look at the amount of gap in these shots and the product itself. This amount should correspond to a barely noticable gap in one sixth scale. We're not talking about a $10 toy, but a $230 collectible figure that is advertised as authentic license as a selling point. If you're fine with this amount of screen (in)accuracy I'm glad for you.
Well, it's not just the Scouts. The ANH Stormtrooper Hot Toys produced are nowhere near accurate to what's seen in screen.

Well, it's not just the Scouts. The ANH Stormtrooper Hot Toys produced are nowhere near accurate to what's seen in screen.
As SW fans we do ask for a lot when it comes to accuracy. The fact is, it’s tough to get all this right when several Stormie helmets are different in one movie. Then different again for the next.

Vader has several looks, then they added to that debacle with the new Kenobi series.

The film crew couldn’t even put the knee pads on Fett the right Way in ESB. Then they completely change his look and helmet in Jedi.

Point being, I don’t see total accuracy (by our standards) ever being achieved, unless it’s a smaller, custom type project. I’m happy we’ve got what we have so far.

I do agree that if they‘re going to try for accuracy, the OT should be the benchmark.

I don’t know, it looks pretty accurate to me, especially judging by that first picture I posted.
Like I said before, I totally understand why people wouldn’t like the way it looks from an aesthetic perspective, but to present it as being totally inaccurate isn’t correct.
Of course price is a factor, but idea of getting an absolutely perfect down the last detail, mass produced figure at $230 is an unrealistic expectation.

As SW fans we do ask for a lot when it comes to accuracy. The fact is, it’s tough to get all this right when several Stormie helmets are different in one movie. Then different again for the next.

Vader has several looks, then they added to that debacle with the new Kenobi series.

The film crew couldn’t even put the knee pads on Fett the right Way in ESB. Then they completely change his look and helmet in Jedi.

Point being, I don’t see total accuracy (by our standards) ever being achieved, unless it’s a smaller, custom type project. I’m happy we’ve got what we have so far.

I do agree that if they‘re going to try for accuracy, the OT should be the benchmark.
I couldn’t agree more with this. 🤌🏻🤌🏻
There are always going to be details they miss, even if it just comes down to human error in translating images to a physical medium. And for the most part, I feel like they do a pretty good job.
And it’s important to keep in mind that, however much we might not like it, Hot Toys doesn’t necessarily produce figures with super discerning, minute detail oriented collectors, like many of us here, in mind.
For example, most people who see the ROTJ Boba Fett think “wow, that’s an incredible Boba Fett, that’s perfect.”
Whereas I look at mine and all the little details they got wrong on the helmet really stand out to me.
A lot of people look at any version of Vader they’ve done, and just see Darth Vader, but many of us here see how far off the helmet is on them, and it really bothers us. Although I think the Rogue One version is pretty great and IMO the closest they’ve gotten so far.

And one more thing regarding accuracy on these collectibles: the helmet (head sculpt where it is the case) is more important than the suit. People can forget some suit/armor errors, but when the head looks bad, then it's bad. At least the Scout overall isn't that bad.

As an accuracy nut I would like to have better accuracy on the figures and statues, but I understand that we'll never get 100% accuracy on scaled collectibles, some will always be better than others. And we also have to understand that most collectible companies don't truly care about accuracy as we do, this has been proven over the years countless times.

The cost of sculpting and creating molds for an accurate helmet is basically the same as that of an inaccurate one. Only difference realistically would be time (sculptor may require more time to refine the sculpt) and with deadlines to meet they may decide to move forward with inaccurate parts. Also, sometimes it the licensor who approves an inaccurate prototype (i remember reading about a toy company fella who said that he would even point out that an approved proto was inaccurate but the licensor insisted it was correct, meaning whatever trained monkeys the licencers send out do not truly know their own IP as well as 3rd parties). Whatever the case may be, such a glaring inaccuracy is unlikely an accident but rather a choice.

Back