1:6 Gimli Custom - How To Guide...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It also helps to boil the shoulder armor and clamp it around the shoulder so it is a snug fit.

Anyone here familiar with the OLAF "rubber" chainmail? Would it work for Gimli? I think the short sleeves might be too short for the arms and the "rubber" thing concerns me but it looks nice in the pictures.

Any help is appreciated.

Anyone here familiar with the OLAF "rubber" chainmail? Would it work for Gimli? I think the short sleeves might be too short for the arms and the "rubber" thing concerns me but it looks nice in the pictures.

Any help is appreciated.

Dunno. I used the Ignite mail. You can tell the rubber mail is rubber.

That's kind of what I'm afraid of.

I'm not a fan of the use of rubber for figures or accessories, regardless if they look better or more realistic than the alternative. Rubber deteriorates over time, either by breaking down entirely or losing its flexibility and becoming brittle. It may take 5 years and it may take 20, but it will happen at some point.

That's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Hot Toys' use of rubber for figures like Rambo, Rocky or Batman. Sure, they look fantastic now, but how will they look when the muscle body or armour starts breaking or falling apart?

This is in no way a knock against Hot Toys or anyone who collects their figures by the way, just a statement of my own paranoia when it comes to rubber and 1:6 scale figures. There are probably ways to delay the deterioration of the rubber, but it really isn't the ideal material to use for long-term collectibles.

I'm not a fan of the use of rubber for figures or accessories, regardless if they look better or more realistic than the alternative. Rubber deteriorates over time, either by breaking down entirely or losing its flexibility and becoming brittle. It may take 5 years and it may take 20, but it will happen at some point.

That's one of the reasons I'm not a fan of Hot Toys' use of rubber for figures like Rambo, Rocky or Batman. Sure, they look fantastic now, but how will they look when the muscle body or armour starts breaking or falling apart?

This is in no way a knock against Hot Toys or anyone who collects their figures by the way, just a statement of my own paranoia when it comes to rubber and 1:6 scale figures. There are probably ways to delay the deterioration of the rubber, but it really isn't the ideal material to use for long-term collectibles.

I think the biggest contributor is dust. I have a Medicom Godzilla which is pretty old (as far as rubber collectibles go). He's been in the box most of his life and I only take him out on occasion and he's still as good now as he was when I picked him up. However, I have silencers on my dog tags which have been hanging on the key hooks forever. They're in an area that sees a bit of foot traffic and are never dusted (never think to honestly). I usually have to replace them about once a year because the rubber rots. Hence why I'm suspecting dust being the biggest contributor.

It's certainly in the list of suspects. I just feel really bad for all those people who shelled out mad bucks for Hot Toys' ED-209 only to find the rubber "mesh" section already starting to deteriorate, and the majority of those were never even taken out of their boxes. I think I'd break down in tears if something like that ever happened to one of my PFs or something equally valuable. :(

hi! sorry didn't realise i was supposed to introduce myself, Blue Falcon kindly pointed me to this thread as i saw his custom Gimli on the OSW forum and explained I'd love to make one too. since then I'm now in the process of upgrading all my DID versions in the same way, ie combining the best of the Toy Biz stuff with the DID and adding,creating and modifying parts. once I'm done with that I'm planning on a Saruman and an Orc. if anyone has any advice it would be welcomed. I'm a motorcycle mechanic by trade so i love making things and i have a Bsc degree in product design hence the arty side.

Figured I'd post this here too...

Got my special EntropyChicken Super Upgrade GEAR...

Here's the shoulder armor:

Gimli1-1.jpg

Beautiful cast and paintwork! Looks so real in hand!

And of course, I got one of EC's Giml heads, painted by the man himself...

Gimli2.jpg
Gimli3.jpg

Weathered and cranky...

Gimli4.jpg

For those curious by compares: Original vs. Upgrade

Gimli7.jpg

Gimli6-1.jpg

Gimli8-1.jpg

Last pic with helmet -- Warrior Dwarf!

Gimli10.jpg

Back