1/6 DID D80160 WWII German Panzer commander - Jager & E60068 Panther Tank Diorama

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, that mention of a Leopard threw me off, initially.

I will definitely be on the look-out for the tank cupola and had already planned to repaint it. Now bring on the Sherman cupola, DiD!

That looks great. DiD is really releasing some impressive display accessories. I hope we see some of the Bf-109 parts, at least the cockpit, for our Marseille figure.

Jager's high on my 'most looking forward to' list, to display him in the black Heer uniform.

While I wasn't intending to collect Waffen-SS again the Italian camouflage wrap does look nice, and he comes with the matching cap as well. I like to make use of as many parts from a set as possible, and I think I found a way last night.

Reading through some Osprey books reminded me that Panzer crew were either issued with lace up ankle boots, or (non-hobnailed) short shaft jackboots as in this photo:

Panzer crewman.jpg

I don't have a lot left from my old Dragon Models collecting era, but I do have a pair of baggy Italian camo trousers of unknown source, plus jackboots I can cut down.

Neither of the figures I'll make from the 3R Rommel will need the belt and holster, so they can be donated to this one.

EDIT:

Everything is a potential can of worms!

This is another viewpoint on the issue of short shaft jackboots:

Hoffman Grink said:
Just spotted this one - A subject close to my heart.

Panzermen were issued the same boots as everyone else. They pulled the studs out of them in order not to slip. Was unofficial, against regs but tolerated for practical reasons. Pre and Early war they wore Marschstiefel (marching boots) and the trousers were bloused but tying them around the lower calf of the boot and letting the excess material drop down to the ankle. (seperate topic on how to - but can be done if needed)

During the war - it became common practice to cut down a pair of marching boots so that in effect they looked like rigger boots. Reasons of practiclaity again - IF your foot was injured or trapped or hot materials fell down the boot top, the standard boots were a ba5tard to get off quickly - You could not just slip your foot out. So by cutting done the boots at their widestppoint they became a lot more "slip on" - Think about it.......

As these boots were fairly common they Panzermanner just tucked their trou in and bloused the excess over the top. The look is quite good if you're prepared to sacrifice a pair of boots!!!!! If you DO go down this route - take them to a proper leatherworker/cobbler to get them cut evenly and the raw edge rolled and durned to stop tearing occurring.

Then there is the low boot or Snurrschue - They wore these and again studded and un-studded versions were used. The only "Special boot" used by them was the cut down standard marching boot - but again - a lot of landsers did this also...... So no special issue items were used - Just adaptations.

Hope this helps fill in gaps.

https://www.panzergrenadier.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=6488

The photos were apparently taken by someone at the factory.

They put the Wehrmacht insignia on the SS cap, causing some to assume that DID forgot to use rose-pink waffenfarbe for the Heer cap.

As for the SS cap:

The Waffen-SS only permitted Waffenfarbe other than white between 10 May 1940 and 5 November 1940. They had stipulated a wear out date on incorrect waffenfarbe caps of 12/31/40, but they quickly switched back to only using white on visor caps due to the expense and difficulty of troops having to get new caps with each change in assignment, which was very common in the Waffen-SS as it rapidly expanded from one division (SS-VT) to many divisions. However, after the RZM lost exclusive rights to produce this headgear in 1941, people could get anything made up by a capmaker if they had the money and could get away with wearing.

https://www.lostbattalions.com/Resources/SSCrusherWaffenfarbe.html

The character's biography:

In 1941 Klaus first served in a Panzer III Ausf. J in the 11th Panzer Division. In combat with the Pz III, he knocked out 1 enemy tank as well as his own. His Crew was knocked out during that battle by a T-34 commanded by Nikolay Lvushkin. In 1944 Klaus is sent to a concentration camp by Heinrich Himmler to recruit a tank crew that will be used for target practice for the 12th SS Panzer Division Hitlerjugend.

I didn't pay a lot of attention to the film, so didn't realise Jager was originally Heer.

In the film he doesn't have the Hitlerjugend cuff title:

T-34 Jager 1.jpg

When I wrote this...

It's like The Fast and the Furious with tanks. :lol

...I had no idea that...

In Russian Media the movie was called "'The Fast And The Furious' on tanks".

Is the Italian camo accurate for Panzer crew or is this just a copy of T-34 movie character

Wikipedia has a short history of Italian camouflage:

800px-Wartime_Italian_M1929.jpg

M1929 Telo mimetico (Italian: camouflage cloth) was a military camouflage pattern used by the Italian Army for shelter-halves (telo tenda) and later for uniforms for much of the 20th century. Being first issued in 1929 and only fully discontinued in the early 1990s, it has the distinction of being the first printed camouflage pattern for general issue, and the camouflage pattern in longest continuous use in the world.

Originally only printed on shelter halves, the pattern was not intended to be worn by soldiers though the shelter halves could be used as rain-ponchoes. From 1942, the printed fabric was also used for smocks for the Italian paratroopers. At some point before the outbreak of the Second World War, the pattern was changed, possibly to accommodate printing with smaller rolls. It was scaled down and compressed slightly lengthwise, but otherwise kept the shapes and colours of the first production. The pattern varied with time, the colours becoming brighter while the print became less crisp.

In 1944, telo mimetico was adopted by the Germans and distributed to Waffen-SS units operating in Italy and Normandy during the spring and summer of 1944. Most frequently published photos show members of the 1st and 12th SS Panzer Divisions wearing the Italian attire along with a mix of standard issue Waffen-SS uniforms and equipment. After the Italian surrender, stocks of the Italian pattern were captured and used on other fronts.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telo_mimetico

I know about Italian camo and the SS were issued them. They got all the good stuff, but didn't know Panzer tank crews had them aswell. Is DIDs camo colours a little bit off maybe!? I wasn't going to get this figure but now seeing some shots of it I'm reconsidering.

I know about Italian camo and the SS were issued them. They got all the good stuff, but didn't know Panzer tank crews had them aswell. Is DIDs camo colours a little bit off maybe!? I wasn't going to get this figure but now seeing some shots of it I'm reconsidering.

As per Waffen SS Camouflage Uniforms by Daniel Peterson:

Virtually every type of regulation German field uniform was duplicated in Italian pattern cloth, as well as a wide variety of "custom-made" articles; some items appear to have been mass-produced, others individually tailored.

The pattern and colour varied over time.

I just bought this one. I wasn't going to get it I have little to no inerest in Panzer tank crew figures. But it looks too good.

Maybe I'll pick up that cupola but I'll have to see some videos and pictures of people that bought it first. Not just DIDs prototype pics. When's that coming out?

I just bought this one. I wasn't going to get it I have little to no inerest in Panzer tank crew figures. But it looks too good.

Maybe I'll pick up that cupola but I'll have to see some videos and pictures of people that bought it first. Not just DIDs prototype pics. When's that coming out?

According to DID the cupola is scheduled for Q4 2022 or Q1 2023.

I looked for other places selling it and they had Q1 23, apart from lacitedesnuages who estimated Q2 23.

I don't think Giantoy even listed it.

Back