1/6 DiD D80154 WW2 German Luftwaffe Flying Ace – “Star Of Africa” – Hans-Joachim Marseille

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figure # 1:

100_2159.JPG

100_2161.JPG

100_2160.JPG

Forgot to put the breast eagle onto the tunic. :slap

Fantastic!! Great idea on using the Rico head sculpt. Looks great there.

It really is a fantastic pair of sets. There's an incredible amount of detail.

I'd already broken down my Fred Jones bash, because I wasn't happy with it, and reserved the Rico sculpt for a WWII figure. It's neckless so it matched the only other slim body I had, which was the little Ganghood 2.0.

Putting the figures together went quite easily for the most part. DiD's button hook is an amazing tool, though some buttons were trickier than others. The knack for the tricky ones was to waggle the tool.

The flying uniform was more trouble as it was fiddly getting the parachute harness to connect, but it was just a matter of extending all the straps. Buttoning the helmet was fiddly too, but it might be better to assemble it with the head off the figure.

Awesome display! you gotta get a model of his BF-109 to put in there

DiD are still saying they intend to release the cockpit

I still have some aircraft models from my war game diorama days that I need to look through.

A recreation of the paint scheme from a museum in Brazil:

1024px-Messerschmitt_Bf-109G-2,_Germany_-_Air_Force_AN1195526.jpg

I received the stand alone DiD Advanced Body Slim Version today, which was the same type they used for Marseille.

Having already used DAF Toys' Scarecrow body for my flight uniform version of the figure, I was going to reserve this newly arrived one for the second figure to be made from the upcoming DiD DAK Burk.

However, there's a major incompatibility between the DiD Slim and the regular narrow shoulder types with regard to the neck. The position of the neck joint combined with the narrow aperture in the body means that non-DiD necked sculpts won't fit. I also tried putting in a separate neck to test neckless sculpts, but the ball joint seems so small that the neck just drops right down so that it looks too short.

In all other regards it's a very good looking body with genuinely narrow shoulders, so I don't want to have to have to cut it, make a new joint, or resort to white tack so that it can be cobbled together to support non-DiD sculpts.

The only sensible course of action is to break down my flight uniform Marseille, and put him onto the new body. It's what I should've waited to do in the first place, but I was too impatient to see the figure completed.

At least my two Marseille figures will both be on their proper bodies.

Now that I think about it, they could release an aircraft mechanic/crew figure for Marseille, as well. Include a 20mm cannon, tool chest with tools and even a paint can and brush for him to paint another "kill" on the aircraft rudder. Throw in a wooden table for placing all of the above.

I would certainly pick that up.

Now that I think about it, they could release an aircraft mechanic/crew figure for Marseille, as well. Include a 20mm cannon, tool chest with tools and even a paint can and brush for him to paint another "kill" on the aircraft rudder. Throw in a wooden table for placing all of the above.

I would certainly pick that up.

That would be a great idea.

I wonder if they still intend to release the cockpit section? :unsure:

While browsing IMDB I happened upon this page:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt18573568/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Star of Africa​

• TV Series
Note: Because this project is categorized as in development, the data is only available on IMDbPro and is subject to change.

No further information apart from this poster:

soa.jpg

EDIT:

I found some more information.

https://www.heatonlewisbooks.com/content/star-of-africa-the-story-of-hans-marseille

Star Of Africa​

Jun 10
Written By Colin Heaton

The Story of Hans Marseille

Based upon our book, this is currently written as both a feature film, as well as a pilot episode for a series

See the podcast with Temya Lemani discussing this amazing story and the pending film in progress

The podcast was a bit rambling and the host often seemed at sea, but the writer, Colin Heaton, had some interesting anecdotes about Marseille.

He expressed that Marseille and his unit were among the most anti-Nazi of the Luftwaffe, and that Marseille was a true maverick at odds with the regime.

The day he scored his hundredth kill was also the day he shot up his squadron leader's tent because he was annoyed with him - the squadron leader was inside it. Marseille was charged, and could've faced execution, but since he'd just scored his hundredth kill Goering opted to continue using him for propaganda purposes.

At the ceremony in Berlin, at which Hitler, Himmler and Goering were in attendance, the classically trained Marseille was asked to play the piano in the concert. After playing the prescribed classical pieces he started playing jazz, which had been banned under the Reich since the 1930s. Hitler put a stop to the concert. Apparently it was being recorded so it could be played on the radio for propaganda, but the jazz put an end to that. Colin Heaton said he searched in vain for a copy of the recording.

A1subfjpeuL.jpg

These photos of Marseille, posted by Jody Pawley in the DID Official Private Group, are almost immaterial to his 1/6 aircraft collection. The Me 262 is a work in progress:

Jody Pawley

yO9BVSOo4qE.png

· 10 mins ·

Thanks for the add. This is my favourite figure. The quality and likeness is amazing. Nice work.
The 262 is almost finished. Still some painting, insignia and fiddly jobs to do. Depending on the flying weight, he might get a ride in it.
jp1.jpg
jp2.jpg
jp3.jpg
jp4.jpg
jp5.jpg
jp6.jpg

Back