1/6 DiD D80154 WW2 German Luftwaffe Flying Ace – “Star Of Africa” – Hans-Joachim Marseille

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
DiD Marseilles 0.jpg

DiD Marseilles 5.jpg

DiD Marseilles 2.jpg

DiD Marseilles 3.jpg

DiD Marseilles 1.jpg

DiD Marseilles 6.jpg
DiD Marseilles 7.jpg

DiD Marseilles 4.jpg

Brief Introduction​

Hans-Joachim Marseille was a German Luftwaffe flying ace during World War II in North Africa. He was one of the most successful fighter pilots, took down 158 planes during his entire combat career, made him nicknamed as “Star of Africa”.
We are proudly presenting the 1/6 Hans-Joachim Marseille action figure. This young man has a boyishness handsome face and his bright eyes are shinning with light. He also comes with an ALL-NEW body!

The all-new DID 1/6 Advanced Body (Slim version) is the first time to be used. With over 40 articulations on the new body make it highly posable in more natural ways.

There are TWO tailor-made outfits for him. One is the classic Luftwaffe tropical tunic and trousers. And the other is the pilot flighting jacket and the state-of-art trousers. The jacket is made of genuine leather.

Different outfits match with different shoes. When he wears the tropical tunic, he would wear the tropical low boots while the flying boots are on when he is in the jacket.

We are the first to release various accessories for DAK Luftwaffe pilot, including pilot oxygen mask, goggles, armband compass and the flare pistol.
As “Star of Africa”, he achieved an unparalleled record and was awarded the Knight’s Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords, Luftwaffe Day-Fighter Operational Flying Clasp, German Second War Italian Pilot Wings etc. All of the insignias are brand-new.

A super star who could not be forgotten by history, we believe you won’t miss him neither. Just order him ASAP.
Please note the cockpit that is shown in the image is not included in D80154.

Base

1 Super realistic headsculpt
2 All New – DID 1:6 Advanced Body (Slim Ver.)
3 Open palms
4 Palms for holding pistol

Outfits

5 German Luftwaffe Tropical Side Cap for Officer
6 German Luftwaffe Summer Flying Helmet (partial genuine leather)
7 German DAK Luftwaffe Tropical Sand Field Tunic
8 German DAK Luftwaffe Tropical Trousers
9 German Luftwaffe Pilot Leather Flight Jacket (genuine leather)
10 German Luftwaffe Summer Tropical Flight Trousers
11 German Luftwaffe DAK Tropical Shirt
12 Black Tie
13 Neckerchief
14 German Luftwaffe Gloves
15 Brown Belt (genuine leather)
16 German DAK Tropical Low Boots (partial genuine leather)
17 German Luftwaffe Flying Boots

Accessories

18 German Luftwaffe Fighter Pilot Oxygen Mask
19 German Luftwaffe Fighter Goggles
20 German Luftwaffe Armband Compass with genuine-leather belt
21 German Pilot Watch with genuine-leather belt
22 German Luftwaffe Headset and Microphone
23 Cigarette
24 DID Button Hook

Weapon

25 German Luftwaffe Flare Pistol with 8 Cartridges
26 PPK Pistol with Holster (genuine leather) and Clip
27 Gravity Knife

Insignia

28 Shoulderboard x 3 pairs
29 Luftwaffe breast eagle x 2
30 Afrika cuff title x 1
31 Knight’s Cross with Oak Leaves and Swords x 1
32 Luftwaffe Day-Fighter Operational Flying Clasp x 1
33 Golden Party badge x 1
34 German Iron Cross 1st Class Badge x 1
35 Luftwaffe Pilot Badge x 1
36 German Second War Italian Pilot Wings
37 Gold Medal of Military Valor Ribbon bar

Reference:

Hans-Joachim Marseilles.png

marseille.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Joachim_Marseille

Accessory set:

E60060 Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”

E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”0.jpg
E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”2.jpg
E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”3.jpg
E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”4.jpg
E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”5.jpg
E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”6.jpg
E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”7.jpg
E60060  Diorama Of “Star Of Africa”8.jpg

Brief Introduction

To make the “Star of Africa” even more perfect, we have also created an accessory/diorama set for him, including his smiling face headsculpt, parachute, life vest, Luftwaffe officer white visor cap, tropical shorts, sock, BF-109 tail wing with his victory marking and his lovely dog. With the accessory/diorama set, you could not only get full gear for the flying ace, but also can DIY a diorama of the historical moment that he was standing on his BF-109 tail, showing his remarkable victory.

Marseille, the Star of Africa will shine even brighter with his accessories, BF-109 tail wing and diorama. Just come and order the accessory/diorama set for him.

Please note the cockpit and the body that are shown in the images are not included in E60060.

1 Super realistic headsculpt with smile
2 German Luftwaffe officers white visor cap
3 Sunglasses
4 German Luftwaffe tropical shorts
5 German Luftwaffe tropical socks
6 Parachute
7 Dog with dog tag
8 Aircraft tail with victory marking
9 Platform
10 Hay
11 German Luftwaffe life vest

Definitely deserves its own thread.

I have the "accessory" set on pre-order. I actually ordered it first, as I thought it was a full figure and before seeing the regular version on sale. I'll have to go back and order the full figure version, as well. I don't need two Marseille figures but they just look too cool. A worthy addition to my pilot/astronaut figure collection.

Definitely deserves its own thread.

I have the "accessory" set on pre-order. I actually ordered it first, as I thought it was a full figure and before seeing the regular version on sale. I'll have to go back and order the full figure version, as well. I don't need two Marseille figures but they just look too cool. A worthy addition to my pilot/astronaut figure collection.

I'm trying to convince myself he'll go with the upcoming Afrika Korps, since he ended his short, eventful career with Jagdgeschwader 27 in North Africa.

I'd only go for the main set, as the accessories don't add enough. His Wiki biography was a good read, but no mention as to why DiD included the dog.

An image search turned up this photo of Marseille:

a903796b735ad09d503ca76fe35fcdff.jpg

But it looks like a different dog, and doesn't have the distinctive tag.

I think DiD are normally quite generous with their sets, giving the opportunity to make two figures from them with the addition of a body and random sculpt.

In this case, between two sets there's only one shirt to share between three possible outfits. :unsure:

Pondering on what can be made from the main set, these parts, without the gloves, could be used to represent Marseille:

DiD Marseilles 1.jpg

And then this, barring the gun belt, holster and shirt, to represent a generic pilot:

DiD Marseilles 0.jpg

I think the scarf could be used to mask the lack of the shirt, and it looks as though the jacket might fit better without the belt and holster.

This turned up in a search yesterday.

The 1957 West German/Spanish biopic, Der Stern von Afrika (The Star of Africa):

I was looking into the 'Afrika' cuff title.

The green 'AFRIKAKORPS' cuff title was worn on the lower right sleeve.

When Hitler instituted the mid-brown 'AFRIKA' cuff title as a formal campaign decoration in January 1943, it was to be worn on the left sleeve.

The Luftwaffe, however, had introduced their own version of the 'AFRIKA' cuff band on 16th March 1942. It was on dark blue blue cloth and worn on the lower right sleeve, as with the 'AFRIKAKORPS'. It was not regarded as an honour award, unlike the 'AFRIKA' decoration of January 1943.

Luftwaffe Afrika cuff.jpg

Luftwaffe Afrika cuff2.jpg

It is interesting to note that the Luftwaffen Museum in Germany holds an example of this band, among a collection of items which had belonged to the fighter ace Hans-Joachim Marseille, in which the word 'Afrika' is executed in Gothic script characters.​

Luftwaffe Afrika gothic script.jpg

DiD have used the common version with block capitals.

https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/uniforms_firearms/uniforms/luft_cufftitles/Afrika.html

Love the videos DiD does. I don't think any company can do the same amount of love and detail that DiD does into their figures.

Last edited:
I just finished watching those videos. Amazing attention to detailing. Even something that isn't clearly seen, like the flare cartridges in their straps is simply amazing.

I just finished watching those videos. Amazing attention to detailing. Even something that isn't clearly seen, like the flare cartridges in their straps is simply amazing.

Yes, there's an amazing amount of historical detail. :)

I've been mulling over these sets for a few weeks. I was pretty certain I'd end up ordering the main one...

DiD Marseille 5.jpg

...but was conflicted on the accessory set...

DiD Marseille Accessory set 4.jpg

It's funny, but the first thing that drew me to the 'Diorama' pack was the dog. :lol I have a lot of 1/6 dogs, but no Beagles!

I can't find a specific reason why they included him, or what the significance or design of his tag is. It looks too abstract to be a medal:

DiD Marseille Accessory set 8.jpg

When looking for photos of Luftwaffe pilots, however, there's a running theme of pets. Quite a few are seen with dogs. Hans Philipp was photographed with a fox:

Hans Philipp.jpg

Another was photographed with a rabbit. So I guess DiD wanted to carry on the theme.

Since the main set is almost two complete uniforms - I found a spare tan shirt to use under the flying jacket - I went looking for a sculpt, but couldn't find anything among my spares that would work thematically.

So I go back to the accessory set, because the sculpt is there smiling back at me. I thought the set was more than I needed, but in fact I can see myself using everything apart from the shorts, socks and glasses.

While I like to have all my figures secured on stands, the desert base looks good:

DiD Marseille Accessory set 3.jpg

It could come in handy for a variety of uses.

I also like the white summer visor cap as an alternative to the side cap for the tropical uniform, and the life jacket and parachute give the option of completing the flight uniform.

As for the BF-109 tail, it's pretty apt since Marseille crashed so often. :lol

That was a very long winded way of saying that I ordered both sets from GianToy.

While I have the accessory set ordered (thought it was a full figure), I will definitely be ordering the full set, as well.

I've got to start trimming my 1/6 figure collection, though. Just too many lines being collected and not enough space. The pilots won't be going anywhere, though.

While I have the accessory set ordered (thought it was a full figure), I will definitely be ordering the full set, as well.

I've got to start trimming my 1/6 figure collection, though. Just too many lines being collected and not enough space. The pilots won't be going anywhere, though.

The 'Advanced Slim Version' body they're using for Marseille (and Burk) is now being sold separately, which could be useful for this figure since he virtually comes with two outfits.

Kit has it listed:

https://onesixthkit.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=3420

I was just looking through the specs again for both sets, and noticed the entry for "Golden Party Badge".

That's an error that DiD probably made from their familiarity with writing specs for their 3R range.

A Golden Party Badge was a version of the Party membership badge awarded to the first 100,000 members as of 9th November 1933.

What the entry must refer to is the German Cross in Gold, which is on the right breast pocket of his tunic. It was instituted 28th September 1941.

The gold version was awarded to military personnel for repeated acts of bravery in combat, or of military leadership, with 6–8 acts as a rule of thumb.

I pre-ordered the DiD Slim body for the second Marseille outfit.

I was initially planning to use the slim body that came with DAF Toys' Scarecrow, but after looking at the photos of DiD's Slim, which is
the same as they're using for Marseille, I could see that the DAF had the neck peg sitting a bit too high. I'd rather have him looking just right, and both figures matching each other, rather than making do.

The DML shirt I was reserving for the flight uniform is now assigned to the second figure I'll make from DiD's Burk's extra parts. I found a spare white shirt from an old bootleg Indiana Jones, which has a sharper collar more like that of a Luftwaffe DAK tropical shirt.

I gave the collar and upper part a wash of Games Workshop acrylic paint to change it to tan, as only a small bit of the shirt is going to show with the flying jacket on.

Searching for photos of him in his flying jacket, none of them showed him wearing the Knight's Cross, which is good as there's only one in the set, but then he was only awarded it on 6th June 1942, and was dead by 30th September:

Hans Joachim Marseille flying 1.jpg

Hans Joachim Marseille flying Der Adler June 1942.jpg

Hans Joachim Marseille flying Martuba Feb 1942.jpg

This is the clearest photo I've seen showing how he wore his shirt collar and scarf with the flight uniform:

Hans Joachim Marseille flying3.jpg

Good pics. I had saved several already as references, as well.

I still need to pre-order the main figure set and obtain the extra body for the set that I already pre-ordered. DiD should have just offered them both as complete figures.

Good pics. I had saved several already as references, as well.

I still need to pre-order the main figure set and obtain the extra body for the set that I already pre-ordered. DiD should have just offered them both as complete figures.

The only thing I was missing for two complete figures was the belt, holster and PPK.

I found the PPK with the correct style of holster (with the strap fastening to a pin on the flap) from the DiD/3R Kurt Student figure. It was being sold by a retailer on eBay that I'd forgotten about: CB Toys.

I used to look at their store years ago when I was collecting Dragon.

I'm okay for a brown belt. It didn't need to be exactly identical as I'll try to push it under the jacket the way Marseille wore it.

Back