1/6 DiD D80154 WW2 German Luftwaffe Flying Ace – “Star Of Africa” – Hans-Joachim Marseille

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I initially pre-ordered the accessory set with the shorts, parachute and base, thinking that it was a complete figure. I ended up having to order the parts to complete the figure. I finally ordered the main figure set and will be combining both to have two great looking figures.

I'd love the parachute and life vest out of the DID star of africa diorama set. But I cannot see the point in paying €200 for a diorama set and only want 2 items out of it. Buying from eBay or the US is too expensive as shipping doubles the price and then customs will add to it.
Yes I see what you mean, in my case I wanted this particular set first. Think I still have in storage someplace the Dragon LTD Hartman life vest and the BBI Luftwaffe pilot life vest...not 100% sure since have been quite some time since I got them in hand.

Just got my figure

Attachments

• IMG_20220825_163318_554.jpg
    IMG_20220825_163318_554.jpg
    522.2 KB · Views: 0
This is my Star of Afrika Marseilles, there is a little "story" behind this display, long ago I made the base, plane rudder and "built" a facsimile of Marseille, the HS I made was not very good at all, so I was never happy. When DID announce their figure I was static and very happy, it turn out to be a beautiful offering. I decided to purchase first the "extra deluxe set" for 3 personal reasons, first, it had the smiling face..iconic in many period pictures, 2 it have the shorts and extra accessories, 3 technically I already had a tropical shirt so I could build up the figure, also the tropical shirt I had is in a little different shade of tan, is is a fine "baggy" cut which give it a little more realistic look at the different types & shades of clothing used in the desert campaign and can be appreciated even in black and white photos. I do want the full DID Marseille figure, and hope to get it when my financial situation permits me...REALLY want one but everyday responsibilities are first so it have to wait. One added bonus, I do have the deluxe set diorama base and rudder also, but since is big, I am using the small base and home made rudder I did with squadron insignia as a display base, fit better in the display cabinet, when I get the full figure, plan to use the DID base diorama/rudder to display the two versions of Marseille and put an acrylic case on top.

Attachments

• 20220905_235214(1).jpg
    20220905_235214(1).jpg
    819.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220905_234956(1).jpg
    20220905_234956(1).jpg
    802.2 KB · Views: 0
Great pics, Asta!

Thanks. :)

I just realised that I hadn't inserted the ripcord into the parachute on figure #3. :slap

On both Marseille's and Galland's DID made the cord a bit too long, so I had to feed it under the parachute so it doesn't stick out sideways:

IMG_0318.JPG

An example of a real Luftwaffe parachute:

luftwaffe-seat-type-parachute_15024_pic2_size4.jpg

https://www.historicflyingclothing....ment/luftwaffe-seat-type-parachute/prod_15024
By Schroeder & Co. Luftwaffe Sitzfallschirm, Model 30 IS 24 (Fl. 30231). From 1937 the British firm Irvin were contracted to supply Germany with parachutes. The Germans then continued to copy and produce their own version of the seat parachute after war broke out - hence the almost identical appearance to those used by the RAF. This parachute was worn by fighter pilots in Me109s and Ju87s but also by other crew in aircraft with the bucket recess in the seat. It features the copied RAF quick release (QR) box although the Germans added a safety 'key' to prevent accidental depression and potential premature release.

Last edited:
Back