1/6 DiD D80151 WW2 German Afrika Korps Infantry Hauptmann – Wilhelm

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great job on the figure. I really like it, as well. I started my 1/6 figure hobby with the 21st Century/Dragon-DML figures and loved the attention to detail, at that time. These newer figures are definitely better detailed but also bring back some good memories.

DML was what started me down the slippery slope of 1/6 circa 1999/2000.

It was the first time I realised that GI Joe/Action Man had 'grown up', and taken to another level.

This is my first new German in many years, and it does make me feel nostalgic for the old days. Yet this one is so far advanced. The thickness of the material is much improved from DiD's BEF 1940 John Coleman days. The cap is also a perfect fit, which was something that could never be properly achieved in cloth in the old days.

At the moment I'm making use of Wilhelm's motorcycle coat, Y-strap, MP40 pouches, MP40 and gloved hands, with some old DML clothing and gear. The MP40 even comes with five metal rounds to load in the magazine, which is a little overkill on the detail!

Everything's going to be used apart from his ring and cigarette. (The ring only fits on the bendy hands, and those have the gloves on).

I still have a number of Dragon/DML military figures on display. Most have been customized or upgraded, replacing some molded pouches with fabric ones, for example. It really makes a difference and keeps them contemporary. Its my mini military history display, with figures going from WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Desert Storm and into the modern era. It would be very hard to let them go.

I still need to pre-order the main Marseille figure, but it won't be out until Spring of next year, so I have a little time.

This is Wilhelm's motorcycle coat, along with his MP40 pouches, Y strap and MP40:

100_1585.JPG

The DiD video makes it look so easy doing the buttons up with their in-house button hook, except they didn't include one with this release.

I tried using the wire from inside a sandwich bag tie, but only managed to fasten two buttons - the inner strap and the outer belt strap. It was impossible to do up the two outside buttons.

This is only a stop gap anyway, as I plan to use Burk's brown overcoat and sun helmet on this figure.

Maybe when I get Marseille, who actually comes with the button hook, I'll be able to fit this coat properly on a different figure, as I have enough pieces to make a European theatre German with it.

The other thing with the coat is that the arms are short, which is why I put them behind his back. DiD's new body must have shorter arms than the TTM19 narrow shoulder knock off.

I removed everything from the motorcycle coat figure apart from the coat and helmet, and replaced them with cheaper leftover spares from my old Dragon collecting days.

So I still get to make use of Wilhelm's coat, but on a more background quality figure.

100_1588.JPG

Wilhelm's canvas Y strap, MP40 pouches and MP40, plus Burk's overcoat and sun helmet, coupled with some DML pieces (that mostly won't show because they're either at the back or covered by the pouches), will make a higher quality looking DAK Schutze.

I think it will pretty much utilise almost everything from the two DiD figures without incurring any extra expense, and gets everything on display.

One thing with long coats and tall boots: you don't even need a uniform underneath. Adds new meaning to commandos being shot for not wearing uniforms. :monkey1

As for the boots, they have proven to make some good replacement for some Star Wars figures' boots. Over the last year, I've picked up a couple of pairs for a custom figure and as a spare, in case needed for replacing deteriorating boots.

As for the boots, they have proven to make some good replacement for some Star Wars figures' boots. Over the last year, I've picked up a couple of pairs for a custom figure and as a spare, in case needed for replacing deteriorating boots.

Yes, I have a couple of pairs of their German officer boots. Used one for a Bespin Han bash.

Speaking of boots, I had another go at lacing Wilhelm's tighter.

100_1590.JPG

100_1589.JPG

I think this is about the limit of them, as they're tightening over the thickness of the breeches. The little metal hooks grip well, which helps as you're trying to pull the two halves closer together.

When I was putting the compass back in his hand I realised it was metal, which should help preserve the tiny hinges for the mirror and lid.

I've been busy all morning "liking" all of your new photos but in this last one you can really see DiD's good paint work on the sculpt.

I went into the collection room this morning with the DID Rommel backdrop, intending to only photograph the Mad Max figures in front of it... and ended up taking 84 photos.

It really is getting addictive. :lol

The detail it's managing to capture is giving me a greater appreciation for the figures. All those years I was struggling to get decent photos with the old camera, photography was frustrating rather than enjoyable.

I've got some photos that don't have threads to post them in, such as Alert Line's hyenas.

In their promo photos Alert Line used an Afrika Korps figure (and an Afrika Korps girl in high heels!)...

C_16.jpg

al-100026p5__32187.jpg

...so that gives me an excuse...

Dark coat:

IMG_0244 Alert Line Hyena dark.JPG

Light coat:

IMG_0245 Alert Line Hyena light.JPG

Back