1/6 DiD D80151 WW2 German Afrika Korps Infantry Hauptmann – Wilhelm

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asta

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.did.co/portfolio/ww2-german-afrika-korps-infantry-captain-wilhem/

It’s been 9 years since DAK NCO Luca released. Now WWII DAK is finally back. Welcome Wilhelm, the WW2 German Afrika Korps Infantry Captain.

The super realistic head sculpt with a crafty smily face, you could even see the victory from his eyes.

As the German expeditionary force in Africa, Afrika Korps has its own “tropical” features on the outfits due to the hot weather in Africa. Wilhelm wore the German tropical shirt and breeches, with a M40 tunic on top. To protect against sandstorms, Wilhelm was commonly seen wearing motorcyclist waterproof cotton coat, goggles, tropical high boots and field cap.

The captain was rewarded the Italo-German Campaign Medal in Africa. Map, binocular, German compass and pencil were necessary for the infantry captain to make war plans. Also MP40 and P38 were included for him to fight!

Just take Wilhelm start to build you WWII DAK team.

Base:
1 Super realistic headsculpt
2 Body
3 Open palms
4 Palms for holding pistol

Outfits
5 WW2 German Tropical Field Cap
6 WW2 German Tropical Afrika korps M40 tunic
7 WW2 German Tropical pullover shrit
8 German Tropical breeches
9 WW2 German Tropical motorcyclist waterproof cotton coat
10 Sweat Rag Tan
11 WW2 German Tropical Y-straps
12 WW2 German Tropical belt
13 Green tie
14 Grey gloves
15 WW2 German Tropical High boots

Accessories
16 WW2 German Tropical binoculars
17 WW2 German Tropical goggle
18 Map case (genuine leather)
19 P38 holster (genuine leather)
20 MP40 ammo pouch X 2
21 German compass
22 Pencil
23 Map
24 Military watch
25 WW2 German Tropical canteen
26 Ring
27 Cigarette

Weapon
28 MP40 submachine gun
29 P38 pistol

Insignia
30 Breast Eagle
31 WW2 German Afrika korps WH officer collar tab x 1 pair
32 Shoulder board x 3 pairs
33 Afrika korps cuff tile
34 WW2 German Italian Afrika Korps Campaign medal
35 Infantry Assault Badge
36 Iron cross First Class

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-51.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-49.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-39.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-35.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-26.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-20.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-9.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-6.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-2.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-44.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-5.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-7.jpg
D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-15.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-34.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-11.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-3.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-19.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-30.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-37.jpg
D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-53.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-54.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-55.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-56.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-57.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-58.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-59.jpg
D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-60.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-62.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-63.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-64.jpg
D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-65.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-66.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-67.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-68.jpg
D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-70.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-71.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-73.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-74.jpg

D80151-WW2-German-Afrika-Korps-Infantry-Captain-Wilhem-72.jpg

The likeness is unmistakable.

48fc6055-4bc1-4993-9be5-cc42e3aed93c.jpg

I'm hoping the next one will look like Wolf Kahler as another little nod to the proto-DAK tropical troops of ROTLA/TLC.

RAIDERS-OF-LOST-ARK-KAHLER-FOTOR.jpg

The likeness is unmistakable.

48fc6055-4bc1-4993-9be5-cc42e3aed93c.jpg

I'm hoping the next one will look like Wolf Kahler as another little nod to the proto-DAK tropical troops of ROTLA/TLC.

RAIDERS-OF-LOST-ARK-KAHLER-FOTOR.jpg
DID have already made a fig based on the likeness of Wolf from ROTLA

The name of the fig is Luka Afrika Korps

DID have already made a fig based on the likeness of Wolf from ROTLA

The name of the fig is Luka Afrika Korps

This was supposed to be Kahler?

C_12.jpg

162411410_did-1-6-luca-box-set-german-dak-afrika-wh-korps-nco-.jpg

They've improved a lot over the last nine years, in both sclupts and clothing, so maybe they'll make one that looks like him this time.

Last edited:
Yeah DID re-do a lot of figs they have made years ago.

The only DiD figure I've ever had was John Coleman, the 1940 British Expeditionary Force officer, because Modellers Loft was selling him off ridiculously cheap at the time.

The boots and accessories were good but I didn't like the sculpt, which was meant to have been of one of the people at Modellers Loft. The uniform material was also too thick and the cap too big, so I never found him a very appealing figure.

I got him mainly for the Vickers machinegun which was a little work of art. Eventually sold the figure but kept the Vickers along with all its accessories, plus Coleman's gas mask bag.

I haven't really paid much attention to DiD until this Afrika Korps figure was announced. Looks like the company is at a stage where the quality is worthwhile buying into again.

I had masses of Dragon/DML military figures that I'd been buying since 2000, but there came a time when they just didn't meet my expectations any more once I'd got into companies like Hot Toys.

DiD has updated the colour of the chest eagle backing to green:

DiD Afrika Korps Wilhelm updated eagle.jpeg

I looked for a definitive answer for the difference why some DAK eagles have a green backing, rather than the more common sand, and the closest I can surmise is that officers wore the green versions.

I searched and searched for an answer to the chest eagle colour difference, and found nothing relating to uniform regulations.

Then I saw this:

Some officers would also take their continental uniform insignias (chest eagle, shoulder boards and collar litzen) and place them on their new uniforms. These had a dark background as opposed to the regulation orange-brown.

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/5/t/181791.aspx

So it is officer related, but only due to the privilege of personal choice afforded to officers.

The statement about DiD's new eagle on the BBICN forum reads:

D80151 adds a WH "green background" officer's chest badge.

Therefore, it's an addition rather than a change. It's down to customer choice which they use.

In Raiders of the Lost Ark, which was the spark for my initial interest in the DAK, the proto-DAK officers Dietrich, Gobler and Belzig all had the dark green backed eagle:

ROTLA Dietrich.jpg

ROTLA Belzig.jpg

latest

Great looking figure.

That sculpt definitely could be used for a custom "Last Crusade" nazi figure.

I've made a space to put him 'as is' with some of my Indy figures, because of the Raiders of the Lost Ark tropical troop connection.

Since DiD plan to make more Afrika Korps figures they'll end up with their dedicated space eventually. There was speculation on the BBICN forum that after the teased rifleman, there would be a machinegun team. The white infantry waffenfarbe (branch of service colour) on the rifleman hopefully indicates that DiD plan to build an infantry unit under the captain, rather than making a variety of Afrika Korps.

I haven't collected German WWII since selling off my Dragon collection, but this particular area has been in my mind since Raiders. There's something about deserts, and also the nature of the 'tropical' uniform that lends itself to ideas of adventure.

I've made a space to put him 'as is' with some of my Indy figures, because of the Raiders of the Lost Ark tropical troop connection.

Since DiD plan to make more Afrika Korps figures they'll end up with their dedicated space eventually. There was speculation on the BBICN forum that after the teased rifleman, there would be a machinegun team. The white infantry waffenfarbe (branch of service colour) on the rifleman hopefully indicates that DiD plan to build an infantry unit under the captain, rather than making a variety of Afrika Korps.

I haven't collected German WWII since selling off my Dragon collection, but this particular area has been in my mind since Raiders. There's something about deserts, and also the nature of the 'tropical' uniform that lends itself to ideas of adventure.
Same for me, except that I do pick up anything aviation/space flight related, such as the Marseille figure recently announced. (That reminds me that I still have to pick up the Hartmann figure...)

Same for me, except that I do pick up anything aviation/space flight related, such as the Marseille figure recently announced.

I was looking at him today since he's dressed for the North Africa campaign. I wasn't sure whether to go for him because it's expanding on my initial plan.

German-Luftwaffe-flying-ace-Star-of-Afrika-Hans-Joachim-Marseille-9.jpg

German-Luftwaffe-flying-ace-Star-of-Afrika-Hans-Joachim-Marseille-14.jpg

Except for a shirt (and his belt and holster) he has two uniforms, which makes him seem better value. And it says all the leather used is genuine.

I was also looking at the accessory pack, but besides the beagle I don't think I'd be tempted that far:

d7439c61923057674dfad5cf6eead9a0_630x841.png

I used to collect pilots too. Still have a couple of modern fighter pilots by BBI and one by Dragon. Plus DAM's pressure suit trio.

FlyAndFight said:
(That reminds me that I still have to pick up the Hartmann figure...)

Hartmann 'The Blonde Knight'?

That's by another company isn't it?

I had the old Dragon version, and often wonder to myself whether I should've kept all those figures and just put them on better bodies and with better sculpts. Yesterday I found I still had enough spare Dragon parts to make a German infantryman, and put it to the test on a good body with the spare QMx Picard sculpt. Compared to recent offerings it's pretty vintage, but not bad. Reminded me of the time when I had two double glass cabinets full of Dragon figures. Before I began to get spoiled by Hot Toys and the like.

I was looking at him today since he's dressed for the North Africa campaign. I wasn't sure whether to go for him because it's expanding on my initial plan.

German-Luftwaffe-flying-ace-Star-of-Afrika-Hans-Joachim-Marseille-9.jpg

German-Luftwaffe-flying-ace-Star-of-Afrika-Hans-Joachim-Marseille-14.jpg

Except for a shirt (and his belt and holster) he has two uniforms, which makes him seem better value. And it says all the leather used is genuine.

I was also looking at the accessory pack, but besides the beagle I don't think I'd be tempted that far:

d7439c61923057674dfad5cf6eead9a0_630x841.png

I used to collect pilots too. Still have a couple of modern fighter pilots by BBI and one by Dragon. Plus DAM's pressure suit trio.

Hartmann 'The Blonde Knight'?

That's by another company isn't it?

I had the old Dragon version, and often wonder to myself whether I should've kept all those figures and just put them on better bodies and with better sculpts. Yesterday I found I still had enough spare Dragon parts to make a German infantryman, and put it to the test on a good body with the spare QMx Picard sculpt. Compared to recent offerings it's pretty vintage, but not bad. Reminded me of the time when I had two double glass cabinets full of Dragon figures. Before I began to get spoiled by Hot Toys and the like.
I've thought about upgrading my older Dragon figures as well but there's just something about those classic head sculpts on some of them, that I don't want to lose.

Hartmann is from Alert Line, if not mistaken. As for Marseille, I ordered the second set above, the one with the Me-109 victory tail but before seeing the main set announced. I'll have to pre-order that one, as well, even though I don't really need two of the same figure. (but it looks too cool. )

I've thought about upgrading my older Dragon figures as well but there's just something about those classic head sculpts on some of them, that I don't want to lose.

It was the heads and hands that I couldn't get on with in the end, once I'd started buying Hot Toys. Because the Dragon 'Adam' bodies were so slim, and with short arms, it was hard getting the clothes to fit on the Truetype narrow shoulder copies.

There's more body choices now, so I should've kept the Dragon collection. The clothes, weapons and accessories were always pretty well made.

Hartmann is from Alert Line, if not mistaken. As for Marseille, I ordered the second set above, the one with the Me-109 victory tail but before seeing the main set announced. I'll have to pre-order that one, as well, even though I don't really need two of the same figure. (but it looks too cool. )

I like Alert Line. I have their hyenas and three of their WW2 Red Army women.

That Marseilles second set doesn't appear to be a full figure, or even a full uniform as the shirt isn't included. The pictures are quite deceiving as DiD have mixed both sets.

I like Alert Line. I have their hyenas and three of their WW2 Red Army women.

That Marseilles second set doesn't appear to be a full figure, or even a full uniform as the shirt isn't included. The pictures are quite deceiving as DiD have mixed both sets.
Oh my! I never noticed the missing shirt! I did know about the body and was planning on picking one up loose. Looks like I'll need to do the same with the shirt... EDIT: And scarf, gun belt and iron cross too, it appears...

I have Alert Line's RAF pilot (based on Tom Hardy's character in "Dunkirk") and it is very nice. I recently (as in received last week) their U.S. Army dress uniform set in order to bash a Steve Rogers from the original CA movie. It also is very well done.

Oh my! I never noticed the missing shirt! I did know about the body and was planning on picking one up loose. Looks like I'll need to do the same with the shirt... EDIT: And scarf, gun belt and iron cross too, it appears...

Yes, it's really an accessory set. Though they doubled up on the ankle boots since they're also included in the main set.

German-Luftwaffe-flying-ace-Star-of-Afrika-Hans-Joachim-Marseille-60.jpg

I'm starting to really tempt myself with this one, to add to the North African theme.

I have Alert Line's RAF pilot (based on Tom Hardy's character in "Dunkirk") and it is very nice. I recently (as in received last week) their U.S. Army dress uniform set in order to bash a Steve Rogers from the original CA movie. It also is very well done.

I remember the Tom Hardy pilot looking like a good one.

Back