1/6 DARK TOYS DTM005 Collectible Figure MAX DX

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Dark Toys is Redman? That kills my enthusiasm. The 'leather' on their Blade Runner Roy Batty coat was some of the worst I've seen. Really cheap looking with an odd sheen/texture. It actually reminded me of old Sideshow pleather pieces that were about to disintegrate (tho it has not disintegrated yet). The least they could've done was make it look good BEFORE it flakes away.

I think the Premier Toys figure looks the worst aesthetically, but using real leather that's not going to disintergrate yet looks scale is an attractive selling point. Kinda torn now.
i think you got mixed up with Present and Premier. Present uses "genuine leather".

I wouldn't pick one over the other because they say it uses 'genuine leather'. What incentive do they have to even be honest? Looking at it logically, how are they going to use actual leather, that's thin enough, and high quality enough, and still charge less than $200?

Even the $400 custom outfits don't even use real leather, because real leather doesn't work like that. You've got your $600 Indiana Jones jacket, whose main selling point is that it's real leather, and even THAT one still has problems with thickness.

Further, I don't even know where this talk about Premier using genuine leather even got started, none of their photos or product description say it uses genuine leather. Sounds like someone just 'read it on Facebook' :dunno

Having said all that, Premier is the only one that's an original creation and not recasting someone else's custom, soooooo ......

I wouldn't pick one over the other because they say it uses 'genuine leather'. What incentive do they have to even be honest? Looking at it logically, how are they going to use actual leather, that's thin enough, and high quality enough, and still charge less than $200?

Even the $400 custom outfits don't even use real leather, because real leather doesn't work like that. You've got your $600 Indiana Jones jacket, whose main selling point is that it's real leather, and even THAT one still has problems with thickness.

Further, I don't even know where this talk about Premier using genuine leather even got started, none of their photos or product description say it uses genuine leather. Sounds like someone just 'read it on Facebook' :dunno

Having said all that, Premier is the only one that's an original creation and not recasting someone else's custom, soooooo ......
Geewhiz seems to have been able to make real leather look good in 1/6th. The thing is it still does have a bit of thickness so having it done in faux leather is always the best option as long as you take care of it.
124203968_3442185632530354_5270174836590566866_o.jpg

It's Present Toys that says they are using leather and they list this right in their product description:
  • Leather coat * 1 (made of cowhide, imitating oxidation and easy to take care of)
  • Leather pants * 1 (made of cowhide, imitating oxidation and easy to take care of)
  • Belt * 1 (made of cowhide, imitating oxidation and easy to take care of)
  • Shoulder strap * 1 (made of cowhide, imitation oxidation and easy to take care of)
  • Leather boots * 1 (made of cowhide, imitating oxidation and easy to take care of)
Luisenigma1:

Geewhiz seems to have been able to make real leather look good in 1/6th. The thing is it still does have a bit of thickness so having it done in faux leather is always the best option as long as you take care of it.

Hmm, that does look good but also noticeably thicker.

genuine leather are usually used to describe scrap leathers that are minced up into fine powders and rebonded together to form a bigger piece. they are real leather but the production method is similar to pleather, where the adhesive is the weakest point as it breaks up over time.

I am one of these guys who cares about accuracy, but doesn't go out of his way to investigate quality and so on. I am not sure why, when it comes to toys I am like this, soI like reading opinions. Everything else in life I investigate myself.

I prefer real leather as all my pleather toys deteriorate fast....less than 5 years. I have not noticed it on my Medicom Rocketeer 2.0 but I am sure once I touch him, he;s inside a box somewhere, he will.

Which Mad Max is the best. Truth be told, I have Premiere on Preorder, but is Dark Toys better?

I am a sucker for 2 head sculpts....

What swayed me to Present Toys was seeing that Indiana Jones. Imagine that quality on Max.

What swayed me to Present Toys was seeing that Indiana Jones. Imagine that quality on Max.
Fair point, but the head sculpt looks a bit off - may look alright in hand or may possibly be improved before release.

I’m sticking to Dark Toys - I have their Anton and Deckard and while not perfect they are close enough, and the quality as a whole is pretty good imo.

Will be interesting to see how this one turns out - he’s a grail for me, along with Deckard. I’m also interested in their Beverley Hills Cop too.

🤞🏻🤞🏻🤞🏻

It's a win, win either way.

We don't rally have much to choose from and they all have their pros and cons. In my experience, pleather it awful. My Bucky Winter Soldier, I have 2 Vests and both began to shed. Same with my Rocketeer if I ever find it again. My experience makkes me prefer Present Toys.

All headsculpts are slightly off and might come down to preference. I do like the extra head though for Dark Toys. I honestly might get both.

I love having extras of things.

It's a win, win either way.

We don't rally have much to choose from and they all have their pros and cons. In my experience, pleather it awful. My Bucky Winter Soldier, I have 2 Vests and both began to shed. Same with my Rocketeer if I ever find it again. My experience makkes me prefer Present Toys.

All headsculpts are slightly off and might come down to preference. I do like the extra head though for Dark Toys. I honestly might get both.

I love having extras of things.
I sometimes get two or three of the same offerings from various third parties and mix and match 👍🏻 I feel I get the best bits from all with none of the weak stuff. Kinda…
I initially bought the Premier Toys Max before I ever purchased any Dark Toys and although it’s not perfect, its not a bad effort with bits to like.
With having gotten Dark Toys Anton and Deckard I’m hooked! So their Max was a no brainer.
Curious to see how he turns out, and what I can potentially pick and mix 🤔

I always like extra heads, because it gives me a chance to customize/add an extra figure using less expensive parts. I fudge things when it comes to accuracy often.

Back