Media-Movie 1/6 Captain Miller (Tom Hanks; Saving Private Ryan)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hoping for DID to produce a Captain Krause (Tom Hanks character) from the movie Greyhound.

The expression is odd...but the sculpt looks good and the paint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree...actually I like it more than Facepool head.
Just didn't like the paint on side of the hair.

Enviado desde mi VOG-L29 mediante Tapatalk

I think that the squint looks off but will probably look good with the helmet on. Hanks does squint quite a bit.

I'm staying with the Facepool figure, though. No need to double-dip.

My captain Miller from DID arrived from KG Hobby this week.

I like the film ok but not a huge war movie guy SPR and apocalypse now are probably the only war movies I’d be into owning figures for and it felt wrong not to have a Tom Hanks in my collection and I never felt Forrest Gump really felt right as a figure TBH.

All that and I thought it looked really really good and it was a good price.

It’s not my first DID figure do I’m familiar with the quality they have on the accessories especially all real metal and wood and quality all around.

The head I think is the best Hanks I’ve seen( not Forrest I mean) and although he looks a bit more aged i do think it beats out Inigos effort from a few years ago. Having said that the paint, while passable could be a lot better but this is the first DID sculpt that seems to have better skin texture as I’ve often find their approach is to give the heads texture by poking a lot of holes into it.

The helmet is nice but it’s too big. It’s not grossly oversized like the facepool one but it’s not as nice as the helmet iniqo sculpted even if it meant sacrificing the metal helmet I think I can live with it but if any military experts here know if a better scaled helmet from any other figure please let me know.

I think the outfit is pretty bad though. Mostly the it’s far more inaccurate than the facepool one. I think the body is not so good so a swap will help fill out the pants and make the whole thing look less doll like, but the main issue I have was the field jacket and assault vest. Not only are the colors totally inaccurate the facepool ones looks a lot better. I thought about contacting that Japanese guy who hand makes everything but not wanting to put a ton more money into this I felt that facepool way was better and picked up those two items loose.

When they arrives I’ll mod them a bit and weather and tweak the whole outfit and I’ll also repaint the head. I’ll post pictures when it’s done.

Thank you so much for the detailed review, Ray.

I already have the Facepool Miller, which I do like but thought about getting DiD's as well, if it was an overall improvement, especially with the head sculpt.

Definitely looking forward to seeing your updated/modified version.

I like the film ok but not a huge war movie guy SPR and apocalypse now are probably the only war movies I?d be into owning figures for and it felt wrong not to have a Tom Hanks in my collection and I never felt Forrest Gump really felt right as a figure TBH.

It?s not my first DID figure do I?m familiar with the quality they have on the accessories especially all real metal and wood and quality all around.

The head I think is the best Hanks I?ve seen( not Forrest I mean) and although he looks a bit more aged i do think it beats out Inigos effort from a few years ago. Having said that the paint, while passable could be a lot better but this is the first DID sculpt that seems to have better skin texture as I?ve often find their approach is to give the heads texture by poking a lot of holes into it.

The helmet is nice but it?s too big. It?s not grossly oversized like the facepool one but it?s not as nice as the helmet iniqo sculpted even if it meant sacrificing the metal helmet I think I can live with it but if any military experts here know if a better scaled helmet from any other figure please let me know.

I think the outfit is pretty bad though. Mostly the it?s far more inaccurate than the facepool one. I think the body is not so good so a swap will help fill out the pants and make the whole thing look less doll like, but the main issue I have was the field jacket and assault vest. Not only are the colors totally inaccurate the facepool ones looks a lot better. I thought about contacting that Japanese guy who hand makes everything but not wanting to put a ton more money into this I felt that facepool way was better and picked up those two items loose.

When they arrives I?ll mod them a bit and weather and tweak the whole outfit and I?ll also repaint the head. I?ll post pictures when it?s done.

Do you have some in hand pics?

So far from what I can tell its a great figure for that price range. The only thing I dont like is the body. Very narrow limbs.

I like the film ok but not a huge war movie guy SPR and apocalypse now are probably the only war movies I’d be into owning figures for and it felt wrong not to have a Tom Hanks in my collection and I never felt Forrest Gump really felt right as a figure TBH.

It’s not my first DID figure do I’m familiar with the quality they have on the accessories especially all real metal and wood and quality all around.

The head I think is the best Hanks I’ve seen( not Forrest I mean) and although he looks a bit more aged i do think it beats out Inigos effort from a few years ago. Having said that the paint, while passable could be a lot better but this is the first DID sculpt that seems to have better skin texture as I’ve often find their approach is to give the heads texture by poking a lot of holes into it.

The helmet is nice but it’s too big. It’s not grossly oversized like the facepool one but it’s not as nice as the helmet iniqo sculpted even if it meant sacrificing the metal helmet I think I can live with it but if any military experts here know if a better scaled helmet from any other figure please let me know.

I think the outfit is pretty bad though. Mostly the it’s far more inaccurate than the facepool one. I think the body is not so good so a swap will help fill out the pants and make the whole thing look less doll like, but the main issue I have was the field jacket and assault vest. Not only are the colors totally inaccurate the facepool ones looks a lot better. I thought about contacting that Japanese guy who hand makes everything but not wanting to put a ton more money into this I felt that facepool way was better and picked up those two items loose.

When they arrives I’ll mod them a bit and weather and tweak the whole outfit and I’ll also repaint the head. I’ll post pictures when it’s done.

DiD can still not make a decent body I guess.
I got a lot of DiD figs and 3reich. Accessories, sculpts and tailoring are usually spot on but the bodies they use a pretty trash.

Was really tempted by this fig, still dont know if I should pull the trigger.

Mine still hasnt shipped yet from KG. Anyone get a shipment notice from?

I see Royal Mail in the UK has mountains of post to sort through, so I dont know if this is how it is in every postal service? Everyone buying online as the shops are mostly all shut.

DiD can still not make a decent body I guess.
I got a lot of DiD figs and 3reich. Accessories, sculpts and tailoring are usually spot on but the bodies they use a pretty trash.

Was really tempted by this fig, still dont know if I should pull the trigger.

Its pretty much a toss up for me between this one and the facepool version. I might be swapping out the body to help fill out the uniform better but I will have to see how it looks.

I like the Facepool sculpt. It's not spot on but it did improve my old DID Millers figure. I'm waiting on this new DID Miller figure. I do think it looks like Hanks but it's a bit too aged. As with Raymond, I am also looking for a more fitting helmet.

I got this figure in the mail today. Its pretty decent.

Here is a picture of the head sculpt:

3c0306a16913305f36d27152761f6733.jpg

Using flash really highlights the ok paint application on the head. Definitely not HT quality but the sculpt looks good IMO.

I really like the quality of the guns and some of the accessories. The outfit and helmet looks really cool too.

97dec5b349fe292c2bde412a9f9a1289.jpg

A few cons would be the hands, the holster, and body. The hands look horrible. The material used to make the holster rips very easily. Body had stuck joints on the legs. I thought I broke it when it snapped loose and was movable.

Back