Media-Movie 1/6 Captain Miller (Tom Hanks; Saving Private Ryan)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to Spartan Rex for flagging DiD's upcoming version. Latest post from DiD's facebook:

ZDZvNOZ.png

T14buOr.png

Vnbvrod.png

Last edited:
I’ve got the original DiD set and the only thing that dates it is the sculpt. I’ll try for a parted-out sculpt from this new version but it’ll probably be 60% of the cost of the whole set. DiD released ‘Ryan’ as ‘clean’ and ‘weathered’ versions, it’d be cool if they do the same with Miller.

Wow, very nice. Looks like Hanks for sure.

How come they haven't officially licensed these? Is Saving Private Ryan and the war genre in general just not lucrative enough?

Wow, very nice. Looks like Hanks for sure.

How come they haven't officially licensed these? Is Saving Private Ryan and the war genre in general just not lucrative enough?

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a licensed military figure. The military fig companies often use film characters as ‘inspiration’ for their sculpts. Because they’re sold as military figures and not movie figures they can avoid the licensing that goes with it. DiD’s original ‘US Ranger’ figure was called Captain Millers and just happened to look a lot like Captain Miller from Saving Private Ryan. The 1/6 military community is pretty big - enough to drive after-market prices on some sets to 2-300% MSRP.

I just seen the DID Captain Miller go up for preorder. It seems a little on the cheap side. Does anyone have a DID figure? Are they any good?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just seen the DID Captain Miller go up for preorder. It seems a little on the cheap side. Does anyone have a DID figure? Are they any good?

No license to factor into MSRP, so cheaper than Hot Toys etc. DiD sets are top notch, def 'high end'.

I don’t know if I’ve ever seen a licensed military figure. The military fig companies often use film characters as ‘inspiration’ for their sculpts. Because they’re sold as military figures and not movie figures they can avoid the licensing that goes with it. DiD’s original ‘US Ranger’ figure was called Captain Millers and just happened to look a lot like Captain Miller from Saving Private Ryan. The 1/6 military community is pretty big - enough to drive after-market prices on some sets to 2-300% MSRP.

Well there was the Hot Toys Platoon figures. It disgusts me to this day that they never made Elias to complete the main trio of characters.

Taylor and Barnes were terrific though - apart from their uniforms not being green enough. I remember looking around for even non-licensed Saving Private Ryan figures at the time but never pulled the trigger on anything I saw. And then without Elias it really diminished the value of having the Platoon figures in my collection so when I needed money off they went. And that was that, I didn't give the military genre any further thought.

Well there was the Hot Toys Platoon figures. It disgusts me to this day that they never made Elias to complete the main trio of characters.

Taylor and Barnes were terrific though - apart from their uniforms not being green enough. I remember looking around for even non-licensed Saving Private Ryan figures at the time but never pulled the trigger on anything I saw. And then without Elias it really diminished the value of having the Platoon figures in my collection so when I needed money off they went. And that was that, I didn't give the military genre any further thought.

I forgot about Platoon, surprising it wasn’t commercially viable. Or was it license issues, I don’t remember. Platoon really is a trio, it’s a bummer missing a character. Saving Private Ryan being more a solo act makes supporting characters nice but not essential.

Yeah I had to order this it looks too good to pass up....speaking of platoon the dam toys 1/12 platoon figures are pretty awesome and a great way to get the cast of the film (I know they’re 1/12 so not everyone’s cup of tea)

Seems monkeydepot has it now, finally. Not sure why it takes so long, other US stores have long sold out.
I can't post links, but you can easily google.

I ordered mine through KG Hobby. I couldnt walk away from the price. One of my favorite movies too. I really like the DID Jude Law Vasily. Pretty awesome detail in the weapon and outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back