1/4 Hot Toys - QS019 - The Dark Knight Trilogy - Batman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
QS001 came with 3 additional face plates, bringing the total to 4. And judging by the photo for this, this comes with only 1 extra, bringing the total to 2.

The bust shouldn’t be driving the price to what they are asking for. The display stand is just a chunk of plastic. If it’s hollow, which I’m betting it is, that’s even worse. I’d argue that the original display stand had more complexity to it.

As for the bust. It’s a bust. It’s just a mold of the chest and shoulders of the actual figure. It doesn’t light up, it has no moving parts.

Just so you’re aware, I hold no animosity towards you or anyone that defends HT. I just...don’t understand the thought process of defending these kinds of business practices.

New one comes with three chin plates, not super clear if thats 3 extra or 3 total. I seem to have forgotten about the teeth sucking chin or repressed that memory. Not really a loss there.

Despite what anyone says, this is still a good opportunity to get a fantastic figure at a decent price. Try to find one unopened mint in the shipper and you're in firmly in the $1k neighborhood. $595? If you've wanted new one, that's a fantastic bargain. Someone will always be upset about the price. If the price had gone down, you'd see a bunch of folks screaming that HT did a re-release and devalued the figures they were going to sell at a profit.

As far as the cowl sculpt goes, HT isn't the only game in town. I can say that Unreal Customs was producing a 1/4 scale cowl sculpt, but I'm not sure how much interest it generated back then. I picked one up in May from him and it looks great (but no pers). He also does wired and unwired capes that are really cool, as well (I have both). I'm sure there will be other cowl sculpts popping up by other makers. Jaxon Xu makes a great cape too. Maybe Jaxon and/or Dean Tolliver will get something out.

At $595 I will definitely be putting one on order. I wanted another QS001 body for the bruce head, but now I can get the whole thing with a great stand for about the same price.

From a business perspective, I understand why HT didn't do a lot of R&D to get out a better cowl sculpt. Still, as a collector, it is disappointing.

I completely agree, we should as a community challenge Hot Toys more and call them out on their **** - but there are so many people on this forum and others who will defend HT no matter the circumstances and the mental gymnastics necessary to do so.
The saddest part is that if united together we could demand higher standards, better prices and real communication from HT and other companies - instead HT are allowed to indulge in their worst impulses.

You'd have to gather all the HT Iron Man fans. See what happened to the Mk85 headsculpt? Anything less than that, it will be ignored. The HT DC fans have no hope by themselves. :p

What accessories do you believe they removed? Aside from elements of the base it’s the exact same kit plus bust.

Also, +$20 on $180 from 2017 is roughly keeping up with inflation as well. Inflation is a percentage over time, the more something cost and the longer the time the bigger the gap. So ~$500 in 2013 compared to 595 in 2023 is the same exact thing as your example. Controlled for inflation it’s almost exactly the same price.
It’s not an arbitrary markup…

By that logic, that means Picard from 2017 should’ve cost $250...because remember, a HT figure at one point in time cost $165...and that was the first DX, back in 2009.

Also by that logic, Picard 2021 should’ve cost $275. Over a decade later, we have companies producing high end figures for sub or just shy over $200...

I guess inflation ONLY hit HT the hardest? C’mon man, I get inflation, but people really need to stop using that as HT get out of jail free card.

No offense to you OT, but I don’t buy it. Inflation isn’t the reason for this price hike for a re-release. I’d accept that as the main reason if the jump was within $50...but that isn’t what happened. Those new accessories are not THAT expensive to produce.

It’s an 8 year old figure (that still holds up. it’s rare for that to happen) that’s getting a re-release. It’s not a new figure that required R&D. The suit is the same, the head is the same, the stock body is the same.
Nothing new that is meaningful (no, that new display stand and bust are not meaningful accessories IMO) is being offered here.

And my mistake about the 2 face plates. I typically look at the last photo to see what’s being provided and didn’t see the mouths on display. So instead of 4 in total, it’s now 3. That’s still taking away something. And that’s dumb.

Despite what anyone says, this is still a good opportunity to get a fantastic figure at a decent price. Try to find one unopened mint in the shipper and you're in firmly in the $1k neighborhood. $595? If you've wanted new one, that's a fantastic bargain. Someone will always be upset about the price. If the price had gone down, you'd see a bunch of folks screaming that HT did a re-release and devalued the figures they were going to sell at a profit.

As far as the cowl sculpt goes, HT isn't the only game in town. I can say that Unreal Customs was producing a 1/4 scale cowl sculpt, but I'm not sure how much interest it generated back then. I picked one up in May from him and it looks great (but no pers). He also does wired and unwired capes that are really cool, as well (I have both). I'm sure there will be other cowl sculpts popping up by other makers. Jaxon Xu makes a great cape too. Maybe Jaxon and/or Dean Tolliver will get something out.

At $595 I will definitely be putting one on order. I wanted another QS001 body for the bruce head, but now I can get the whole thing with a great stand for about the same price.

From a business perspective, I understand why HT didn't do a lot of R&D to get out a better cowl sculpt. Still, as a collector, it is disappointing.
Honestly, we shouldn’t look at these as an investment. And I couldn’t care less if Joe Schmoe couldn’t scalp his QS001 because HT “devalued” a figure.

If you think it’s a steal at $595 (don’t forget to factor in tax AND shipping)...imagine if it cost $470?? Wouldn’t that be even better?

That’s what I mean, some people go to great lengths to justify paying these exorbitant amounts for something that could and should be cheaper. Had it been priced at $750...is it a steal then? I mean, aftermarket prices have it listed at 1k, just as you said. Yeah, technically $750 IS cheaper than 1k...so would you still get it then?

Like...where does it end? How much further can you or anyone go with this? Where do you draw the line?

Disclaimer, I harbor no animosity towards anyone. If my posts come off that way, I apologize.

Oh yeah, it’s like I almost forgot I make a cape for this. I’d considered making a new cowl similar to my 1:4 Begins one but idk if it needs it enough for people to pay what it costs to make them.
EB91A2A8-9A33-4343-80D0-17534530A790.jpeg

Honestly, we shouldn’t look at these as an investment. And I couldn’t care less if Joe Schmoe couldn’t scalp his QS001 because HT “devalued” a figure.

If you think it’s a steal at $595 (don’t forget to factor in tax AND shipping)...imagine if it cost $470?? Wouldn’t that be even better?

That’s what I mean, some people go to great lengths to justify paying these exorbitant amounts for something that could and should be cheaper. Had it been priced at $750...is it a steal then? I mean, aftermarket prices have it listed at 1k, just as you said. Yeah, technically $750 IS cheaper than 1k...so would you still get it then?

Like...where does it end? How much further can you or anyone go with this? Where do you draw the line?

Disclaimer, I harbor no animosity towards anyone. If my posts come off that way, I apologize.
It was just a comment, certainly nothing to get worked up about.

As I said, if you're in the market for a new 1/4 DKR, it's a deal. You would be hard pressed to find one on the secondary market at that price. Sure it would be "better" if it was cheaper, but it isn't. If there's a place you know of that sells new 1/4 DKR at less than $595, we would certainly all go there and buy those instead.

Again, this is just an objective observation.

As I said, if you're in the market for a new 1/4 DKR, it's a deal. You would be hard pressed to find one on the secondary market at that price. Sure it would be "better" if it was cheaper, but it isn't. If there's a place you know of that sells new 1/4 DKR at less than $595, we would certainly all go there and buy those instead.

I think it’s unfair to compare Hot Toys to any 1:6 manufactures making figures for $200 or so too. As an owner of a lot of Asmus, Enterbay, and Hot Toys stuff I don’t think anyone is matching Hot Toys in their categories. The sculpts and precision of the paint apps is unmatched.

The complexity of their products now can’t be compared to their earlier ones either.

The only companies matching or exceeding Hot Toys level of work are JND or maybe QS on a good day but honestly their TDK sculpt isn’t as good and it’s much bigger and $2K.

I think if rising costs are an issue you’re in the wrong hobby.

That’s why I said at the end if I came off aggressive, it certainly wasn’t my intention.

I want to make a video about this some day, but I want to air it out now;

HT are the greatest magicians in this industry. They’re so good at making people buy into this illusion of theirs where their products are “worth the asking price”, no matter how much they cost. And people are so invested in this act that when their prices are taking huge leaps rather than small incremental steps, they hastily come to HT defense the moment anyone challenges this “illusion”.

“Wtf? Why so expensive?”
“Then stop collecting.”
“Wha? But look at it! It’s not great looking/it’s a rehash/it has no improvements/or any other criticism! How can it cost this much?”
“Inflation. Can’t afford it, stop buying and leave this forum.”
“Wh..,is that your answer to everything?”
“Then stop collecting.”

That’s what it boils down to.

*Cough* :monkey3

Inflation, economies of scale, retooling cost when making something again after a decade, are all a real thing. Seems some people just expect Hot Toys to keep increasing their complexity and reducing cost and thats not the way the world works. By the logic of people like you a new Mustang should still be $4,500 despite inflation and the fact cars have 586% more airbags than they did in the 60s.

Idk if you’ve ever made anything creative, taken an economics course, or worked in the manufacturing industry but it’s not easy work. I’d guess hot toys costs go up with their suppliers, their internal artists rates go up over time as they get better. There’s just so much that goes into these on a global scale that it’s amazing they get made at all.

I’ll concede Hot Toys are magicians. Not at turning people into sheep as you suggest but at delivering consistently crafted and well thought out products.

I’m just glad there are enough of us who appreciate the effort that goes into these to keep them running. They’d have gone out of business a long time ago if they catered to the smug *ss “I demand perfection and won’t pay a penny more than I did in 2007” crowd.

Wait. What?
My point is that the improvements I could make are not worth $300+ for an all new sculpt because I think the stock one is near perfect already.

I’ll probably eventually make one for myself and some friends. If there’s demand I’ll make more.

I think it’s unfair to compare Hot Toys to any 1:6 manufactures making figures for $200 or so too. As an owner of a lot of Asmus, Enterbay, and Hot Toys stuff I don’t think anyone is matching Hot Toys in their categories. The sculpts and precision of the paint apps is unmatched.

The complexity of their products now can’t be compared to their earlier ones either.

The only companies matching or exceeding Hot Toys level of work are JND or maybe QS on a good day but honestly their TDK sculpt isn’t as good and it’s much bigger and $2K.

And I respectfully disagree that these other companies are putting out product that’s “inferior” to HT.

Look at the flash figure.

That effin thing cost $250. It is the very definition of subpar, lazy, passionless, b team level effort.

Then look at Soosootoys green vigilante and detective vigilante. Granted those are not official products...they’re 3rd party and they both outclass flash, EASILY.

1st party examples of outclassing HT is blitzways ghostbusters figures and the line of Star Trek figures that came out a few years ago.

And finally, let’s use HT own figures as an example...DX01, released back in 09, outclasses some of if not most of what HT puts out today. Hell even the bank robber joker still looks amazing to this day. So amazing that they re-released it again. Even two face needed a new sculpt.

As for complexity...my dude, the ONLY complex product is iron man. I’d argue that transformers figures are far more complex due to them needing to look like their cartoon counterparts (which is a feat in of itself) as well as transforming...oh and having articulation.

So it absolutely is fair to make those comparisons because I made it emphatically clear in the flash thread that HT are no longer the top dog and I wish more people would come to that realization.

Some other examples of what I have in my collection that outclasses HT:

Damtoys REmake 2 Leon AND Asmus toys DMCV Dante>RE6 leon
Soosootoys arrow AND robin>Flash
ANY Star Trek figure (except sulu)>80% of HT figures.

The list goes on and on.

And people need to stop falling back on “rising costs an issue? then leave the hobby” as another crutch in these arguments. Like...stop. It’s tiring. No one on this earth is “I’d GLADLY pay $300 for a $200 figure! Oh that one costs $280?? Why not make it more expensive?!”.

I completely agree, we should as a community challenge Hot Toys more and call them out on their **** - but there are so many people on this forum and others who will defend HT no matter the circumstances and the mental gymnastics necessary to do so.
The saddest part is that if united together we could demand higher standards, better prices and real communication from HT and other companies - instead HT are allowed to indulge in their worst impulses.
Precisely. It truly baffles my mind on how people are literally ok with paying top dollar for mediocrity. I...I just don’t know man.

Inflation, economies of scale, retooling cost when making something again after a decade, are all a real thing. Seems some people just expect Hot Toys to keep increasing their complexity and reducing cost and thats not the way the world works. By the logic of people like you a new Mustang should still be $4,500 despite inflation and the fact cars have 586% more airbags than they did in the 60s.

Idk if you’ve ever made anything creative, taken an economics course, or worked in the manufacturing industry but it’s not easy work. I’d guess hot toys costs go up with their suppliers, their internal artists rates go up over time as they get better. There’s just so much that goes into these on a global scale that it’s amazing they get made at all.

I’ll concede Hot Toys are magicians. Not at turning people into sheep as you suggest but at delivering consistently crafted and well thought out products.

I’m just glad there are enough of us who appreciate the effort that goes into these to keep them running. They’d have gone out of business a long time ago if they catered to the smug *ss “I demand perfection and won’t pay a penny more than I did in 2007” crowd.

And it doesn’t take a genius to realize that HT are price gouging. You’re comparing a muscle car to a toy.

A car. Something that serves actual real life purpose. With moving parts. Where EVERY ASPECT of it needs to be carefully designed and needs to go through tests upon tests, and when the tests are done, they do a few more tests.

You compared a CAR to an effin TOY.

That’s what I meant by people being caught up in HT illusion.

And you took my fair criticisms as being smug. Let me ask, do you actually envision people like me, wearing a monocle, smoking a pipe and speaking with a low tone “by odins beard, this toy is a catastrophe
!”...

Like...bruh, really?

And only people like you Appreciate their effort..right?

26DBF20A-DE92-483A-8204-98A32742164E.png

And I respectfully disagree that these other companies are putting out product that’s “inferior” to HT.

Look at the flash figure.

That effin thing cost $250. It is the very definition of subpar, lazy, passionless, b team level effort.

Then look at Soosootoys green vigilante and detective vigilante. Granted those are not official products...they’re 3rd party and they both outclass flash, EASILY.

1st party examples of outclassing HT is blitzways ghostbusters figures and the line of Star Trek figures that came out a few years ago.

And finally, let’s use HT own figures as an example...DX01, released back in 09, outclasses some of if not most of what HT puts out today. Hell even the bank robber joker still looks amazing to this day. So amazing that they re-released it again. Even two face needed a new sculpt.

As for complexity...my dude, the ONLY complex product is iron man. I’d argue that transformers figures are far more complex due to them needing to look like their cartoon counterparts (which is a feat in of itself) as well as transforming...oh and having articulation.

So it absolutely is fair to make those comparisons because I made it emphatically clear in the flash thread that HT are no longer the top dog and I wish more people would come to that realization.

Some other examples of what I have in my collection that outclasses HT:

Damtoys REmake 2 Leon AND Asmus toys DMCV Dante>RE6 leon
Soosootoys arrow AND robin>Flash
ANY Star Trek figure (except sulu)>80% of HT figures.

The list goes on and on.

And people need to stop falling back on “rising costs an issue? then leave the hobby” as another crutch in these arguments. Like...stop. It’s tiring. No one on this earth is “I’d GLADLY pay $300 for a $200 figure! Oh that one costs $280?? Why not make it more expensive?!”.
I’m in no ways trying to say Hot Toys is perfect. Their Batman Begins reissue was such a joke I immediately had professional scans of the Enterbay cowl made and learned Z-brush so I could make my own version.

The QS009 and 1/4 Joker are a joke too honestly.

That doesn’t mean they’re cheep to produce.

Take a $200 unlicensed figure, make multiple times more copies, convert it into a licensed product with global distribution that doesn’t have to be bought in a weird obscure website or eBay AND has replacement parts support and you’re going to be at $250-$280 really quick.

Back