1/4 Hot Toys - QS019 - The Dark Knight Trilogy - Batman Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s an 8 year old figure that a lot of people who got into collecting over the last few years want a chance to get. It includes new accessories and is roughly the same cost of the original when inflation is accounted for.

Some people are just determined to be negative and I fail to see the value in comments like “I already didn’t want this but now that I know the price I don’t want it harder”.

I'm not gatekeeping old figures, release new one all you want HT, but make IMPROVEMENTS to the actual thing.

I'm not gatekeeping old figures, release new one all you want HT, but make IMPROVEMENTS to the actual thing.
This.

Can't stress this enough but nothing is worse than the reissue of the 10+ year old Batman Begins 1/6 figure that they're doing with zero improvements when they have an updated mold and sculpt with their 1/4 Batman Begins figure that they could have used. Did they though? Nope. Just reissue the same super outdated 2010 figure and have the customers eat it up.

All these reissues just seem incredibly lazy and a way for them to dust off these old figures and mark them as new without them even trying to improve anything on them or do any work. At least in the past, 2.0 figures were a thing with actual improvements. Now all we get are the same exact old figures re-released with a new price.

Imagine releasing this next year and being okay with it:

wbjcXlO.png

167401190_3841625552600436_7791466790867729571_n.jpg

This.

Can't stress this enough but nothing is worse than the reissue of the 10+ year old Batman Begins 1/6 figure that they're doing with zero improvements when they have an updated mold and sculpt with their 1/4 Batman Begins figure that they could have used. Did they though? Nope. Just reissue the same super outdated 2010 figure and have the customers eat it up.

All these reissues just seem incredibly lazy and a way for them to dust off these old figures and mark them as new without them even trying to improve anything on them or do any work. At least in the past, 2.0 figures were a thing with actual improvements. Now all we get are the same exact old figures re-released with a new price.

Imagine releasing this next year and being okay with it:
This I 100% agree with. I was able to learn Z-Brush and create a better sculpt in less time than it will take for them to start selling this. There’s no excuse for them to reissue this figure and it’s far too dated.

The QS001 is different IMO because it’s still widely considered definitive by a lot of people and at minimum I think it still holds up today. At least they’ve added some new accessories which they didn’t even do with the Begins 1/6.

I passed on this the first time around, but may pick it up. I've always thought it was a fantastic looking figure, but my main reason then was that Hot Toys didn't have a prolific 1:4 line. However, I wonder if that might be changing. Expanding into 1:4 seems like such a no-brainer, so I don't know why they haven't simply created a "Quarter Scale" or "Prestige" division.
  • There aren't any 1:4 figure producers to speak of and HT already has the Big 3 licenses—Marvel, DC, Star Wars.
  • Any cannibalization of their 1/6 sales would be nominal at most as they'd primarily be competing with companies like Queen Studios, JND and Prime 1.
  • They could probably use most if not all of their existing vendor supply chain, all of whom would benefit by growing accordingly.
  • And of course the larger scale would mean higher end, higher dollar products with even more realistic sculpts.
I'm sure Hot Toys has done several market studies, so it's entirely possible that either the market simply isn't there; the R&D and production costs are too high to justify; or the margins are significantly lower than 1:6.
That said, maybe they've been watching companies like Queen Studios and JND and seeing a growing market for 1:4 scale and 1:3 scale hyperrealistic collectibles in the last 2-3 years. I don't think HT would have any problem coming pretty close to, or matching, the level of detail and realism of those companies (especially if they can come up with a high quality rooted hair solution and maybe introduce a couple of other innovations not possible or practical with 1:6).
If they can keep the price point to around $550-$650 and have worldwide distribution, I think they'd both carve out a big chunk of the current 1:4 scale market and significantly grow the market by bringing in new collectors.
I know Hot Toys has already dipped a toe into each of the three major licenses (Batman & Joker/DCEU, Iron Man & Spider-Man/MCU, Vader, Boba, Mando/Star Wars), but to me it never seemed like they were committed to the scale. However, if they were to show up to the next major convention with a Quarter Scale section that featured prototypes for say Cap, Thor, and Black Widow (plus an obligatory Iron Man MK85); JL Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman; and Luke, Leia and Han, I'd definitely be ready to jump on board.

Debating whether to get this 1:4 or splurge for the JND 1:3.

The Hot Toys is a lot more affordable but I wonder how long the materials will last on the suit. If the materials are fragile, I usually don't keep my figures in dynamic pose.

JND only does museum poses and keeps the bases simple, which does make the display look quite classy.

Debating whether to get this 1:4 or splurge for the JND 1:3.

The Hot Toys is a lot more affordable but I wonder how long the materials will last on the suit. If the materials are fragile, I usually don't keep my figures in dynamic pose.

JND only does museum poses and keeps the bases simple, which does make the display look quite classy.
If it helps I have multiple 8 year old QS001s and no issues with any of the suits including one I have put in dramatic crouching photos. I’m excited to see what JND does but they’ll have to really do a fantastic job to get me interested in something thats not posable.

It’s an 8 year old figure that a lot of people who got into collecting over the last few years want a chance to get. It includes new accessories and is roughly the same cost of the original when inflation is accounted for.

Some people are just determined to be negative and I fail to see the value in comments like “I already didn’t want this but now that I know the price I don’t want it harder”.

Artificial inflation. That’s what this screams to me.

I’m in the camp where this didn’t need much retooling as I consider the 1st release sublime (which is why 1/4 begins is a huge step down for me, taking away features and offering subpar sculpts).

HOWEVER What they could’ve done was offer different face plates, and from the looks of it, they’re only offering 1 extra, as opposed to the 3 extra that came with the first release.

As for the “new accessories” that comes with this...NO ONE WAS ASKING FOR THEM. I mean sure, there were probably some that did and I’m sure all 3 of them are ecstatic, but what about the ones that wanted either a revamped sculpt along with new face plates?

Instead, HT decided to not only take away face plates, they slapped together a base and new display and thought these new additions are enough to justify driving up the price...

Typical of HT.

Look man, I don’t want to be negative about collecting. It should be a fun hobby. But when companies do this kind of $#!T it’s annoying AF. So yeah, HT deserves to be criticized when necessary. Will it change things? EFF NO. But disgruntled collectors have every right to be annoyed and voice their opinion.

This figure was absolutely not necessary at this time. They could’ve EASILY released this on the figures 10 year anniversary. You say people that missed out on it have the chance to own it now...ok, but what about the 89 batman fans, or the Batfleck fans? I would kill for a 1/4 Batfleck! But nah, we need ANOTHER 1/4 Nolan batman figure.

Like...is there a dartboard over at HT HQ? And is the dartboard mostly labeled with iron man/Nolan batman?

Artificial inflation. That’s what this screams to me.

I’m in the camp where this didn’t need much retooling as I consider the 1st release sublime (which is why 1/4 begins is a huge step down for me, taking away features and offering subpar sculpts).

HOWEVER What they could’ve done was offer different face plates, and from the looks of it, they’re only offering 1 extra, as opposed to the 3 extra that came with the first release.

As for the “new accessories” that comes with this...NO ONE WAS ASKING FOR THEM. I mean sure, there were probably some that did and I’m sure all 3 of them are ecstatic, but what about the ones that wanted either a revamped sculpt along with new face plates?

Instead, HT decided to not only take away face plates, they slapped together a base and new display and thought these new additions are enough to justify driving up the price...

Typical of HT.

Look man, I don’t want to be negative about collecting. It should be a fun hobby. But when companies do this kind of $#!T it’s annoying AF. So yeah, HT deserves to be criticized when necessary. Will it change things? EFF NO. But disgruntled collectors have every right to be annoyed and voice their opinion.

This figure was absolutely not necessary at this time. They could’ve EASILY released this on the figures 10 year anniversary. You say people that missed out on it have the chance to own it now...ok, but what about the 89 batman fans, or the Batfleck fans? I would kill for a 1/4 Batfleck! But nah, we need ANOTHER 1/4 Nolan batman figure.

Like...is there a dartboard over at HT HQ? And is the dartboard mostly labeled with iron man/Nolan batman?
It’s not artificial, it’s literal economic inflation. The dollar isn’t worth now what it was in 2013. This figure was originally $465 but honestly most people were able to get it for under $500. $465 in 2013 dollars will probably be around $552-$555 by 2023 when this releases. It’s basically the exact price of the QS001.

To be fair, by the time this is released in 2023 it will be the 10th anniversary of the first figure. 😂

I like that there are still enough unique things about the QS001 to maintain that figures value and justify getting the new one to.

Hopefully this is the start of more regular 1/4 scale offerings from HT. Bane and Selina would complete the Nolan line.

It’s not artificial, it’s literal economic inflation. The dollar isn’t worth now what it was in 2013. This figure was originally $465 but honestly most people were able to get it for under $500. $465 in 2013 dollars will probably be around $552-$555 by 2023 when this releases. It’s basically the exact price of the QS001.

Which explains why many other companies are able to keep prices relatively low or within reason?

Look up how much QMX’s Picard cost when he launched a few years ago, and look at how much EXO6’s Picard costs today.

$20 increase.

Look at how much threezero/threeA’s premium scale TF figures cost then and now...and don’t forget to factor in how much more complex and how much diecast is involved with their most recent figures.

You see where I’m going with this.

Even Michael Crawford pointed out in one of his most recent reviews that other companies are trying to keep prices low, meanwhile HT are charging people DX prices for a STANDARD release.

I’m sure prices have gone up...but this much?

“Due To inflation, we know many will be upset at the price jump. So in order to justify this, we’re going to take away 2 accessories, switch the original display stand in exchange for a solid box, and offer a simple canmakeinoursleep bust, and viola! Feels like it’s worth the price of admission right?”

“Well...couldn’t you just straight up re-release the original figure and maybe just charge an extra $30-$40 to make up for inflation?”

“Wuzzat?”

“Well, it’s literally the same figure. Why not just re-release the same 8yr old figure-“

“I’m sorry I can’t hear you on account of-oh look at that! Another iron man figure!!”

“Oooooh shinyyyyy”

Yeah, I stand by my “artificial inflation” stance.

Btw, I owned 3 of QS001 at one point and gifted one to my best friend who’s also a huge TDK fan. So buying expensive figures isn’t really an issue for me. Not flexing, just pointing out that HT are getting out of control with their pricing model for the past few years.

Which explains why many other companies are able to keep prices relatively low or within reason?

Look up how much QMX’s Picard cost when he launched a few years ago, and look at how much EXO6’s Picard costs today.

$20 increase.

Look at how much threezero/threeA’s premium scale TF figures cost then and now...and don’t forget to factor in how much more complex and how much diecast is involved with their most recent figures.

You see where I’m going with this.

Even Michael Crawford pointed out in one of his most recent reviews that other companies are trying to keep prices low, meanwhile HT are charging people DX prices for a STANDARD release.

I’m sure prices have gone up...but this much?

“Due To inflation, we know many will be upset at the price jump. So in order to justify this, we’re going to take away 2 accessories, switch the original display stand in exchange for a solid box, and offer a simple canmakeinoursleep bust, and viola! Feels like it’s worth the price of admission right?”

“Well...couldn’t you just straight up re-release the original figure and maybe just charge an extra $30-$40 to make up for inflation?”

“Wuzzat?”

“Well, it’s literally the same figure. Why not just re-release the same 8yr old figure-“

“I’m sorry I can’t hear you on account of-oh look at that! Another iron man figure!!”

“Oooooh shinyyyyy”

Yeah, I stand by my “artificial inflation” stance.

Btw, I owned 3 of QS001 at one point and gifted one to my best friend who’s also a huge TDK fan. So buying expensive figures isn’t really an issue for me. Not flexing, just pointing out that HT are getting out of control with their pricing model for the past few years.
What accessories do you believe they removed? Aside from elements of the base it’s the exact same kit plus bust.

Also, +$20 on $180 from 2017 is roughly keeping up with inflation as well. Inflation is a percentage over time, the more something cost and the longer the time the bigger the gap. So ~$500 in 2013 compared to 595 in 2023 is the same exact thing as your example. Controlled for inflation it’s almost exactly the same price.
It’s not an arbitrary markup…

Last edited:
I want to make a video about this some day, but I want to air it out now;

HT are the greatest magicians in this industry. They’re so good at making people buy into this illusion of theirs where their products are “worth the asking price”, no matter how much they cost. And people are so invested in this act that when their prices are taking huge leaps rather than small incremental steps, they hastily come to HT defense the moment anyone challenges this “illusion”.

“Wtf? Why so expensive?”
“Then stop collecting.”
“Wha? But look at it! It’s not great looking/it’s a rehash/it has no improvements/or any other criticism! How can it cost this much?”
“Inflation. Can’t afford it, stop buying and leave this forum.”
“Wh..,is that your answer to everything?”
“Then stop collecting.”

That’s what it boils down to.

Remember the whole debacle with EA and battlefront 2? With the MTX fiasco? Remember when just about every SW/gaming fan downvoted the PR mouthpiece that spewed “sense of accomplishment”? Remember when sales of the game tanked and all of this negativity surrounding the game reached the CEO of Disney and he had a stern talking to with the CEO of EA?

What did that result in? EA lost the SW games exclusivity and now other companies get to take a crack at making SW games. Now we have a bright future for SW games that won’t be under the umbrella of shady, greedy @$$ companies like EA and won’t be bogged down by MTX.

Imagine if collectors can be united for once? Demand better portraits, better QA, and lower prices all around?

I have more to share, but this has already turned into a wall of text.

What accessories do you believe they removed? Aside from elements of the base it’s the exact same kit plus bust.

QS001 came with 3 additional face plates, bringing the total to 4. And judging by the photo for this, this comes with only 1 extra, bringing the total to 2.

The bust shouldn’t be driving the price to what they are asking for. The display stand is just a chunk of plastic. If it’s hollow, which I’m betting it is, that’s even worse. I’d argue that the original display stand had more complexity to it.

As for the bust. It’s a bust. It’s just a mold of the chest and shoulders of the actual figure. It doesn’t light up, it has no moving parts.

Just so you’re aware, I hold no animosity towards you or anyone that defends HT. I just...don’t understand the thought process of defending these kinds of business practices.

This one has been on my bucket list but after a few emails back and forth on eBay I just picked up the QS001 NIB for a real good price and I wont have to wait a year for the release ????

I want to make a video about this some day, but I want to air it out now;

HT are the greatest magicians in this industry. They’re so good at making people buy into this illusion of theirs where their products are “worth the asking price”, no matter how much they cost. And people are so invested in this act that when their prices are taking huge leaps rather than small incremental steps, they hastily come to HT defense the moment anyone challenges this “illusion”.

“Wtf? Why so expensive?”
“Then stop collecting.”
“Wha? But look at it! It’s not great looking/it’s a rehash/it has no improvements/or any other criticism! How can it cost this much?”
“Inflation. Can’t afford it, stop buying and leave this forum.”
“Wh..,is that your answer to everything?”
“Then stop collecting.”

That’s what it boils down to.

Remember the whole debacle with EA and battlefront 2? With the MTX fiasco? Remember when just about every SW/gaming fan downvoted the PR mouthpiece that spewed “sense of accomplishment”? Remember when sales of the game tanked and all of this negativity surrounding the game reached the CEO of Disney and he had a stern talking to with the CEO of EA?

What did that result in? EA lost the SW games exclusivity and now other companies get to take a crack at making SW games. Now we have a bright future for SW games that won’t be under the umbrella of shady, greedy @$$ companies like EA and won’t be bogged down by MTX.

Imagine if collectors can be united for once? Demand better portraits, better QA, and lower prices all around?

I have more to share, but this has already turned into a wall of text.

I completely agree, we should as a community challenge Hot Toys more and call them out on their **** - but there are so many people on this forum and others who will defend HT no matter the circumstances and the mental gymnastics necessary to do so.
The saddest part is that if united together we could demand higher standards, better prices and real communication from HT and other companies - instead HT are allowed to indulge in their worst impulses.

Back