1/3 Predator 2 City Hunter - Prime 1

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I'll happily agree he's one of the best -- his Wolf and Predalien busts are my two favorite representations of those characters -- I don't think the matter is cut-and-dry when his sculpts are still a bit idealized. That gives them an undeniable appeal and helps them come alive, but it makes the movie accuracy conversation difficult.

Every Predator sculpt has its imperfections, be it the softness of the sculpt, the gesture or personality, the overall proportions, the micro details, etc. and we value each of these areas differently, making concessions in those that aren't as important to us. For you, the tubbiness of the 1/3 JH hurts the product and that's understandable. Another factor is the shady company manufacturing him, whereas Narin has rightfully earned the trust and admiration of his fans through years of top-notch artistry and reliability. It's an important factor for sure, but it's got nothing to do with sculpt. If that's our focus, no one's really nailed the character yet. Even the SWS has its well-documented issues. But we get closer each time and, hopefully, learn from what came before.*

*It certainly would be nice if the sculpt and business conversations overlapped in this aspect.

Great post.

As regards Narin's sculpts - let's limit it to the Jungle Hunter (for now) . . . I think Narin's "Encounter" and "Classic" (as HE called it - NOT the one from "Predators") - both being sculpts from 2010 . . . are spot on.

As always - each to their own - but I think they are absolute perfection as regards screen accuracy (not to mention "art direction" and casting quality, and customer service, and price [etc.])

The man (and his team) are GODS as far as I'm concerned (I mean - maybe not at Ian Kilmister level - but darned close :) ).

Every Predator sculpt has its imperfections, be it the softness of the sculpt, the gesture or personality, the overall proportions, the micro details, etc. and we value each of these areas differently, making concessions in those that aren't as important to us. For you, the tubbiness of the 1/3 JH hurts the product and that's understandable. Another factor is the shady company manufacturing him, whereas Narin has rightfully earned the trust and admiration of his fans through years of top-notch artistry and reliability. Though it's an important factor, it's got nothing to do with the sculpt. On that front, no one's really nailed the character yet. Even the SWS has its well-documented issues. But we get closer each time and, hopefully, learn from what came before.*

*It certainly would be nice if the sculpt and business conversations overlapped in this aspect.
Most statues have their weak points but the Prime 1 Jungle Hunter is pretty much flawless.

The “tubbyness” of the Prime 1 1:3 Jungle Hunter is as a false perception from the first unflattering screen shot revealed close to one year ago. There have since been literally hundreds of official pics release where at least 50 of these images show flawless midsection proportions. If people are still basing their opinion of the midsection being thick or tubby from the very first screen shot despite 50 or so images showing flawless midsection proportions, the opinion of the midsection being thick is not based in fact.

Most statues have their weak points but the Prime 1 Jungle Hunter is pretty much flawless.

The “tubbyness” of the Prime 1 1:3 Jungle Hunter is as a false perception from the first unflattering screen shot revealed close to one year ago. There have since been literally hundreds of official pics release where at least 50 of these images show flawless midsection proportions. If people are still basing their opinion of the midsection being thick or tubby from the very first screen shot despite 50 or so images showing flawless midsection proportions, the opinion of the midsection being thick is not based in fact.
Maybe not tubbiness, let's call it a somewhat squat appearance. It looks great from many angles, yes, but there are admittedly some shots of the JH suit that look a little more slender, a little more lengthy and that can create an expectation in some folks that, when not fulfilled, sets off warning bells.

It's also worth noting that there's a difference between the proportions being incorrect among different body parts and the whole body looking like it was compressed equally. At least the latter scenario maintains the correct relationships between the individual parts and, if the compression is only to a small degree, many can live with it and even call it accurate when comparing to certain photos.

I will go here with the Spike Narin's "The Encounter" is one of the greatest and accurate Jungle hunters for me well I'm not some kind of the expert but I've seen a few sculpts by now and that kit looks outstanding!! And don't get me wrong I love Prime 1's JH/CH statues but the pricing is a big insult. For that kind of money we should get the Wolf and the Elder greyback in the mix. Lower quality and higher prices if they continue on this road their reputation and brand will eventually peel off and crumble away like their decals and pleather...

I agree.
The DX has the best portraits.
It's really too bad, because I would have expected a battle damage rendition (coughing up green blood) to had been the exclusive for both the JH & CH.

It's all just disappointing.
JH and CH releases should have been a mirror image.

I agree.
The DX has the best portraits.
It's really too bad, because I would have expected a battle damage rendition (coughing up green blood) to had been the exclusive for both the JH & CH.

It's all just disappointing.
JH and CH releases should have been a mirror image.

And then what will happen is another company or P1 will make that version sooner rather than later. Maybe even a better pose and the people that bought this will **** themselves.
Be care full what you spend this kind of money on in todays markets fellas.

And then what will happen is another company or P1 will make that version sooner rather than later. Maybe even a better pose and the people that bought this will **** themselves.
Be care full what you spend this kind of money on in todays markets fellas.

In this case, that is the other way around. Prime 1 have already made a 1/4 version, and it's mostly better than this one. It's also not much more expensive than the bust alone is for this thing.

If they want this much money for an incredibly average looking 1/3 scale City hunter, can you imagine how much they'd want for an 1/2? :google

image.png

If they want this much money for an incredibly average looking 1/3 scale City hunter, can you imagine how much they'd want for an 1/2? :google
This is already the size of a 1/2 human character. I wouldn't mind seeing these companies return to more reasonable scales for a while.

What if we send them an offer with a 1000$ maximum price tag and see which scale we get 1/200?? @Rotfish this statue already costs as much as raising a real human...

I really wonder how they were able to price the 1/4 City Hunter as low as they did. Does the "non-scale wall art" label affect licensing costs? Is it the relatively simple base? The lack of switch-outs? Or is it the fact that they had more expensive statues out at the same time, so they were able to compensate for lower profits on it?

Had they sealed it before packing, it would be a near-perfect statue by most metrics and fall under the $1K price tag. They're capable of offering decent value.

I really wonder how they were able to price the 1/4 City Hunter as low as they did. Does the "non-scale wall art" label affect licensing costs? Is it the relatively simple base? The lack of switch-outs? Or is it the fact that they had more expensive statues out at the same time, so they were able to compensate for lower profits on it?

Had they sealed it before packing, it would be a near-perfect statue by most metrics and fall under the $1K price tag. They're capable of offering decent value.

It was announced before they had really attracted the attention of the Predator fanbase.

Once they felt they had a solid enough footprint, they've gone all-out for greed.

This guy just received a price hike ( 200 euros ) probably because beef and decals are going up as well...

Predator 2: 3D Wall Art Limited Edition "City Hunter Predator" - Prime 1 Studio - Merchandise & Fan Articles Online Shop | Toy Palace

If this is for real (and not a mistake) - maybe the reseller has noticed the 1:3 isn't selling and/or the wall-art stock is getting low so they've decided to get in on the gravy train for those that now panic and get the wall-art piece instead :dunno

(* EDIT *) - Just checked the PRIME1 site and the discounts THEY had in place a week ago have now gone - we're back up to full price.

Back